Best lenses for the original BMPCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

FredDiPasta

Best lenses for the original BMPCC?

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good lens to shoot scenes and short films with on the original BMPCC. I really like the look of the Sigma Art 18-35MM 1.8 EF but am looking for other recommendations too just to have some choice?

Thanks for your help :)

Denny Smith

Re: Best lenses for the original BMPCC?

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 pm

You can use just about any MFT lens, and most manual type adapted lenses. I would stay away from EF lenses, or other auto non MFT lens, as a Smart adapter is required, and many are problematic on the original Pocket Camera. My favorite is the Angenieux 17.5-70 PL (S16) Zoom lens (using a Wooden Camera MFT/PL adapter, to get parfocal performance). This lens has a nice special Cine style image that works well on the original Pocket camera. For wide shots, add the Duclos Tokina 11-16 PL or the newer Tokina Cine 11-16/11-20 PL zoom. I had the Duclos version of the 11-16, which matched the Angenieux zoom quite nicely.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tyler Edwards

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 5:50 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You can use just about any MFT lens, and most manual type adapted lenses. I would stay away from EF lenses, or other auto non MFT lens, as a Smart adapter is required, and many are problematic on the original Pocket Camera. My favorite is the Angenieux 17.5-70 PL (S16) Zoom lens (using a Wooden Camera MFT/PL adapter, to get parfocal performance). This lens has a nice special Cine style image that works well on the original Pocket camera. For wide shots, add the Duclos Tokina 11-16 PL or the newer Tokina Cine 11-16/11-20 PL zoom. I had the Duclos version of the 11-16, which matched the Angenieux zoom quite nicely.
Cheers

Interesting. I never had an issue with the metabones ef speedbooster for the bmpcc.

OP, lumix 12-35 is a fantastic lens for that camera!
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:OP, lumix 12-35 is a fantastic lens for that camera!

Yes, if you like the look of the Sigma, the Panasonic 12-35 should be to your liking. If you want a more vintage, cinema-style look Denny's advice for the Angénieux is great. A cheaper option (but you'd need a speedbooster) is the Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8 zoom, which was based on an Angénieux design. Mine is Nikon mount but I believe they made EF mount as well.

For wide, I really like the SLR Magic 10mm cine lens; it's by far my most-used lens on the original BMPCC and Micro Cinema Camera.

Regarding "smart adapters," I think Denny was referring to adapters that can control aperture on lenses without an aperture ring. If you're using an adapted lens, it's probably best to get one with a manual aperture ring. Or get a Nikon-mount lens and use a Nikon-to-MFT speedbooster, which has a manual aperture ring built into it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography