BMD Studio Camera 4K II & Panasonic Lumix G X Vario

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

floh79

BMD Studio Camera 4K II & Panasonic Lumix G X Vario

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm

Hello,

I'm still new in camera, so its first one I buy one. Some months ago I did some questions about the camera. Now I think I found a solution for my budget, but need to be sure if it's the right thing for me.

I need a Camera for studio for sign interpreters. They stay in front of a wall (usually green) and Camera is about 1,5 - 2m in front of him. The sign interpreters should appear in video from head (with small gap over head) to trouser belt.
The same camera should be used for livestreaming on the indoor stage too, (around 6m in front of Speakers). But that is another story with another lens, probably the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f.2.8 Power OIS II.

I think to buy following devices:
  • BMD Studio Camera 4K II
  • Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f2.8 ASPH II

Should be fine, or am I wrong? Am I with 12-35mm on spot, or to small? Also the face will look ok*
Are all features of the lens used (Auto focus, Image stabilizator O.I.S.)

*) Not stretched, I dunno how to explain but the range and focal length can slim or stretch somebodys face, how is that phenomenon called?

Also I want to be sure if it's everything I need or I need further accesories. I already have a tripod (currently used for Logitech BRIO 4K Ultra HD :lol: )

Sadly the Cinema Camera (4K/6K/6K Pro) don't have SDI connection (and I want avoid adapters).

Best regards
Floh

floh79

Re: BMD Studio Camera 4K II & Panasonic Lumix G X Vario

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:28 pm

I went further and doublechecked with pCAM Pro (just bought).

I hope, there are someone of you who knows the application. Please see the screenshot:
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg (449.08 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

There I have some questions:
  • There is a infinite symbol at "In Front", so what does "Near: 3.847m" mean? If someone is around 2 m in front of the camera, he is out of focus then?
  • What does the number 1.78 mean in 'Blackmagic Studio 4K - 1.78'? Is that the crop factor?
  • In Camera Formats, there are 'Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K - Full' and 'Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K - 178' so what is the difference?

Best regards
Floh

Howard Roll

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 3:36 pm

floh79 wrote:There is a infinite symbol at "In Front", so what does "Near: 3.847m" mean? If someone is around 2 m in front of the camera, he is out of focus then?

Critical focus starts at 3.847m and extends to infinity. When your focus and subject are at 7.694m, yes 2m will be outside critical focus but probably not very far. If you stop down to a f5.6 you could have both in focus which means it's already going to be close at f2.8.

floh79 wrote:What does the number 1.78 mean in 'Blackmagic Studio 4K - 1.78'? Is that the crop factor?

The studio cams are always 1.78:1 or 16:9. The P4k is DCI 1.9:1 or 17:9 native, maybe that's what "full" refers to.

Good Luck

floh79

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 3:52 pm

Ah thank you very much. Didn’t know that 16:9 = 1,78.

Still don‘t know why there is infinity at „In Front“. But thank you explaining, it helps me a lot. I just forgot that I could just set the focus to 2m and everything is fine. (Worked too long so I forgot I of course can just change the focus :facepalm: )

So the suggested lens should be fine then :?: I‘m still unsure because the YouTube-Reviews says with BMD Studio Camera 4K II is too dark inside but no footages are provided. Like this one:

I‘d expect that the Youtuber has a well lit studio. :idea:

Best regards
Floh

Howard Roll

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 4:43 pm

You're using the hyperfocal distance as the distance to subject so near infinity will always start in front of hyperfocal distance, near infinty is half the hyperfocal distance. Pcam it telling you that when your subject is at 7.69 meters critical focus starts at 3.847m and continues to infinity.

Good Luck

floh79

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Thank you very much! :)

Now I'm interested in Studio Camera 4K Pro which is just released. :lol: It has bigger sensor size. I assume the lens Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f2.8 ASPH II is the way to go.

Return to Cinematography