Studio Camera lenses recommendation

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TomC5991

Studio Camera lenses recommendation

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for lenses compatible with the Blackmagic Studio Cameras.

The 3 cameras I purchased second hand came with MFT to B4 mount adapters but I want to go down the MFT zoom lens route as the B4 fujifilm lenses are very expensive and gigantic in comparison.

Am I right in saying if I bought a lens such as the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150 mm along with the blackmagic focus and zoom controls I would be able to attach this to the camera and control focus/zoom via controls attached to the tripod?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Denny Smith

Re: Studio Camera lenses recommendation

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 1:32 am

Their only 3 or 4 MFT zoom lenses that have a a servo zoom control, and have EZ or PZ suffix in their model name. The Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150 f/4-5.6 lens you referenced will work on the previous and current BMD Studio cameras, but will not have any remote zoom control, as this is a manual zoom lens. Again, this lens is very slow, and not a good studio lens choice. You need the Oly Pro f/2.8 zooms or the Panasonic Leica 12-50 f/2.8-4.0 zoom, which has a faster f/stop at the wider end of the zoom range. Thst said, none of the variable f/stop zooms are ideal for studio work. These are really stil, camera lenses, not designed for studio video/TV shooting.

The B4 zooms can be had on the used market for reasonable prices, and have the remote zoom control and some have remote focus as well. These are designed for video and TV,production, and are parfocal, holding their focus while zooming, which the Oly/Panasonic MFT zooms do not do.

The new BMD Focus and Zoom remotes only work with the new Studio cameras II just released. The previous studio cameras have on camera iris and zoom control (limited to power zoom lenses only).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

TomC5991

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Denny that's a great response, thanks for the detail.

So yes I saw after posting that the BM zoom and focus controls only work with the latest 4K studio camera and the USBC ports on it so can't use those.

Is there any way to remotely control the zoom/focus on those two lenses you suggested? Or just doing it via hand? I can't post links here but I looked at the Varizoom VZSPROF2 Zoom Focus Control Kit as anb alternative but no idea if it will fit the rings on the lenses you've suggested. Any ideas?

FYI - I'm not actually shooting in a studio, it will be to film press conference style events. But I definitely need to control the zoom remotely, iris not essential.

Thanks.

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 4:48 pm

Focus control should work on MFT Lenses, by pressing and holding the focus button on the camera. No sure if the older Studio cameras had a LANC port, and if they do, then you can control focus via a LANC remote (only two LANC remote models work). Zoom control requires a servo, the MFT lenses need a lens gear added to the zoom ring to add on a zoom servo, that can be remotely controlled.

The Varizoom controllers you referenced are for ENG B4 type zoom lenses, and will not work, unless you made a custom mount setup, which would cost more than just getting a good used ENG type B4 lens. That said, I have a Varizoom Servo remote, which can have its gear and bracket changed to accommodate the .8-pitch Cine type gears, thst are available for the zooms I listed. This will give you a remote zoom control via its wired remote. I have it available for sale, PM me for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography