Loose LCD Hinge / ursa mini pro 4.6

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim McQuaid

Loose LCD Hinge / ursa mini pro 4.6

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:44 pm

The LCD screen - and the cover plate in front of it, which moves with it -- is wobbly and loose.

I've tightened the four obvious screws exposed when you open the LCD panel out and the real problem is clearly the hinge itself. Support has indicated that they are not interested in helping me figure this, nor tightening up those screws for me.

I'm wondering if anyone with this experience can guide me in taking the covers off the hinge so that I can tighten them? I think I just need to loosen the screws circled in GREEN -- I've tightened all the screws highlighted in the first attached photo.

The actual hinge screws are something like the other photo (an earlier URSA) I found.

I admit I was pretty disappointed with support said, oh well, not something we want to help with.
Attachments
ursa-hinge screws.png
ursa-hinge screws.png (556.5 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
HYF-245-67098.png
HYF-245-67098.png (198.86 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
www.turnipfilms.com [from URSA to Pro 6K these days]

Overlander

Re: Loose LCD Hinge / ursa mini pro 4.6

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Odd - they helped me fix it. I posted about it and will try and find my post and the instructions from BM.

Ah - found it easily: Is this your issue? I found it was easy to fix.The only confusing part was the flex cable, which stays attached. I had to buy a StarHead river but otherwise it was easy.

"I had my technician look at the video and here is what he told me to pass along to you if you are comfortable making these adjustments on your own:

Lay down camera like normal and open LCD screen face up. Using Starhead T8 screwdriver, remove the 4 screws on LCD screen. When the 4 screws have been removed, slowly pick up LCD screen following an upward direction then away from hinge (there is 2 flex cable hanging there...so be careful). Then carefully put down the LCD to make it free at hinge area. There are 4 black Starhead screws used to hold LCD housing so you will need a T6 to tight down all 4 screws. Then put LCD screen back in place, re-tight 4 screws (T8) back on.

Best Regards,
Tony R
Blackmagic Design "

Jim McQuaid

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Sounds like a slightly different problem - I guess I didn't describe it as well as I should have.

The LCD screen is tight in the housing, but the entire LCD AND the plate which covers the hinge wobbles; the hinge itself is loose. None of the screws in my photo are loose and tightening / retightening those makes no difference.

The entire assembly outlined in red (and naturally the LCD that swings out) in the new photo is LOOSE and wobbles up and down / in and out. So using the touch screen is a bit dicey among other concerns.
Attachments
MCQUAID loose LCD.JPG
MCQUAID loose LCD.JPG (134.11 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

Overlander

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi Jim;
I think it is the same problem as I tried the same solution as you to no avail. If I may suggest, remove the 4 screws as BM suggests and see if the interior hinge screws are loose. Mine took several turns to tighten. I cannot seem to upload the video clip I sent to BM as it tells me it is over 2mb. However, I could try sending to you if you like. The movement I had was in the space between the 2 screw hinge and the screen.

Jim McQuaid

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 pm

I'd love to see your video - you could wetranfer / etc. to jim@turnipfilms.com.

But I still think my problem is similar but different.

On my URSA, the LCD chunk appears to be firmly attached to the hinge. I wanted to include a small video clip that shows how the cover plate is moving with the LCD relative to the camera. But the forum says MOV and MP4 file extensions are not allowed. (!!)

But the camera end of the hinge (hidden under a cover plate) is loose inside the camera. Tighten ANY of the screws in my photo (red or green) has no effect on this. I gather that in your case, the LCD assembly itself was loose from the hinge, but the hinge was firmly attached to the camera body.

I think I just need to start taking it apart and hope I can reveal the internal screws that hold the hinge down on the camera "end" of the hinge. I'm rather irritated that BM support could not, then would not help me. They responded, and I quote:

"....the service or repair of that issue is beyond the scope of what we can offer or repair."

Overlander

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Wow - not impressed with tha service response either. Okay I will send the file via regular email and then try we transfer if it is not acepted. Out for a few minutes now.

r

Jim McQuaid

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:50 pm

I just sent a video of the movement / looseness I'm seeing.

Jim McQuaid

PostSun Aug 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Problem solved

Support instructed me to tighten or retighten the two screws in the joint. However, they only hold on the cover and have no effect on a loose hinge. When that do not work, support told me there was no other course of action they could suggest.

After thinking about this I simply REMOVED those screws and took off the cover place. (photo) Which revealed the hinge itself, whose screws had worked loose (photo). Tightening those four screws (T5) solved my problem.

Why it was not possible to reveal that the hinge screws were just under that cover, I do not understand.

cover removed.jpg
cover removed.jpg (1004.66 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

hinge uncovered.png
hinge uncovered.png (888.83 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

Return to Cinematography