Just Got My Pocket 6K Pro, ND Filters Broken..?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

amanofcharacter

Just Got My Pocket 6K Pro, ND Filters Broken..?

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 2:14 am

I just got my 6K Pro a week ago. The ND filters were changing fine from 0 to 6 stops, using the + and - buttons. I just did my first test project on this weekend and last weekend.

On Day 2 of my test shoot, I noticed the + and - buttons would not work. Well, they would only respond every 4 clicks or so, and I could only get between 2 filters. I'm not sure which numbers they were, because on the Camera UI, the number of stops would not update. Well, sometimes it would say 6, change to 2, then never change again, even when 1 filter would kick in or out.

Is broken/stuck ND filters a known issue for the Bmpcc 6K Pro?

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I be returning/replacing the camera?

rNeil H

Re: Just Got My Pocket 6K Pro, ND Filters Broken..?

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 12:14 am

I would communicate immediately with BlackMagic support.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John Brawley

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 1:00 am

amanofcharacter wrote:I just got my 6K Pro a week ago. The ND filters were changing fine from 0 to 6 stops, using the + and - buttons. I just did my first test project on this weekend and last weekend.

On Day 2 of my test shoot, I noticed the + and - buttons would not work. Well, they would only respond every 4 clicks or so, and I could only get between 2 filters. I'm not sure which numbers they were, because on the Camera UI, the number of stops would not update. Well, sometimes it would say 6, change to 2, then never change again, even when 1 filter would kick in or out.

Is broken/stuck ND filters a known issue for the Bmpcc 6K Pro?

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I be returning/replacing the camera?

I think I've seen one other instance posted where the filters have become stuck that I can recall.

You should get in touch with Blackmagic.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 8:40 am

That other post is likely mine:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144593

To the OP, definitely contact BMD for RMA. The exact behavior described is what happened with the ND filters on my unit. I sent it to BMD and they sent a replacement.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

amanofcharacter

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I did end up contacting BMD Support and they recommended an RMA, contacting the seller for an exchange.

Since I've only had the camera for a couple weeks now, I've decided to exchange it. I'm just a little bit concerned that this could be a QA issue, maybe with earlier production units? So I'll be testing the next camera extensively, just in case the issue returns. I'll probably do an RMA at that point.

Thanks, all.

Caleb Marmolejo

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:51 pm

I am having the same issue 2nd time using the camera, was there any resolve?

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Caleb Marmolejo wrote:I am having the same issue 2nd time using the camera, was there any resolve?
Contact BMD support.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

IvanTheEditor

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I had the exact same issue. My filter was stuck on the "-6 stops" NF filter and the image was pitch black dark. Interestingly enough, when I took the Tilta cage off the camera body the filters started working properly. I don't know if I had the cage on the camera screwed on too tightly or if the problem was something entirely else but give it a try. I have a feeling this won't be the first time this happens. I've now stopped using the internal ND filters and I only use ND filters on the lens.

Saravankumar

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 am

I have got bmpcc 6k pro from e horse chennai on feb 23...i had my nd filter struck on 2 and when i reset factory settings it stays at 6...it worked after a day n then stopped working after 4 days...i returned to the camera reseller( e horse)....i am getting reply from them service center has the camera...nd filter is working...exact problem is it doesn't work after few days...they shd give a replacement after a month of paying money am still following up no update from them..

onstreet

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 am

Hi Guys,

same problem here in La Reunion Island, got my brand new 6K PRO last week from , was waiting for lenses, so only tried it yesterday and this morning. ND filters buttons + and - working randomly, and / or screen tells you ND clear but is pitch dark.

Not really pleased about having to "shake" or "hit" the camera even as softly as possible. Going to try it though and contact both my reseller and BM support.

Return to Cinematography