Ticking noise made by my camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Bauer

Ticking noise made by my camera

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my Black Magic Cinema Camera MFT and I'm not sure wether or not it is serious or not.

There is a fast ticking noise (like a watch but faster) coming from the inside of the camera. It is not very loud but in a quite room with the camera in front of you it is hearable. You can hear it the best when opening the SSD cartridge and putting your ear next to it.

The sound is always present: When the camera is on, off, during recording and even when the battery is completely drained (and even after it has been empty for days.)

I'm not sure if it could be a problem with sound recording. The BMC fan seems to drown out the ticking sound. (had a few sound guys complain about the fan noise).

Any explanation for such a noise? Any one else experiencing similar noises?

Should I be worried? Everything else seems to be fine but I'm worried that this could turn into a more serious problem... Should I send my camera in?

Blaine Russom

Re: Ticking noise made by my camera

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 2:07 am

I've never experienced that in either of my cameras.. but I'm surprised people are complaining about the fan noise.. it's barely audible....

Nikolay Smirnov

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 9:53 am

teh wrote:Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my Black Magic Cinema Camera MFT and I'm not sure wether or not it is serious or not.

There is a fast ticking noise (like a watch but faster) coming from the inside of the camera. It is not very loud but in a quite room with the camera in front of you it is hearable. You can hear it the best when opening the SSD cartridge and putting your ear next to it.

The sound is always present: When the camera is on, off, during recording and even when the battery is completely drained (and even after it has been empty for days.)

I'm not sure if it could be a problem with sound recording. The BMC fan seems to drown out the ticking sound. (had a few sound guys complain about the fan noise).

Any explanation for such a noise? Any one else experiencing similar noises?

Should I be worried? Everything else seems to be fine but I'm worried that this could turn into a more serious problem... Should I send my camera in?

It is a faulty battery. Happened to people before. You better send the camera for repair/change before it's not too late. It can go dead any second now.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jartanyon

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm

BMD never came out and said it was a battery issue, but I sent mine back and they fixed it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11126&p=73333#p73333

What worries me more is if the batteries are starting to crap out this soon, then there wont be much promise for the next time.

AustinH

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I actually had a similar issue, and thought it was the fan. I unscrewed where the fan is, and I noticed there was just a little flap that was getting caught in the way. I didn't even have to take the fan out, I just re-positioned the flap and it worked out for me. Hopefully it's an easy fix like that!

Natal

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 pm

It is for when you go through air port security with a strange looking "camera" that ticks!! ;)

Return to Cinematography