New Camera Request

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

lost_soul

Re: New Camera Request

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 pm

Thanks for the update about NAB Rick. I hope the organizers can withstand the hit from every one pulling out.

As for sticking the 12K under water I am not sure I get that. All that 12K resolving goodness will be killed by the glass of the housing and the water. The 6K seem like a far better solution for underwater as the recent BMD tweet showed. It is certainly a lot less bulk to fight in the water.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

timbutt2

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 am

FEROXED wrote:Hi all

I am new to the forum, but have searched from one end to the other and I am not sure if this thead will mind, but I will try.

Not sure if it is acceptable to rally for support to get a housing into production, so just shoot me if I am out of line. Small caliber only please :lol:

We are Stock footage shooters and, to make our product as future proof as possible, are wanting to upgrade from our 4K BMPCC, that I am still VERY impressed with and our 6K RED Dragon, to the amazing Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K. BUT! We need an industry leading underwater housing for it, Nauticam. Nauticam China have un-officialy agreed, through our local supplier in Cape Town, to put this housing into R&D and production if they get at least 10 orders.

Therefore, my post.

As you all know, Blackmagic have just slashed the price of their 12K Flagship, from $9995 to $5995. This will result in a big boost in sales and possibly also the number of users who want to take it underwater, so my timing is hopefully spot on. What I am trying to achieve with this post is to test the waters, as it were, to see just how close we will be able to get to Nauticam's 10 order threshold. The plan would be to get each interested cinematographer to place their order with their own preferred Nauticam supplier/stockist, wherever they may be, but to keep Nauticam in the loop when we place our orders. It is my understanding that the URSA Mini Pro 4K, the 4.6K, 4.6K G2 and the 12K should all fit into the same housing, but maybe one of the camera pro's can confirm that.

Why bother moving to 12K? I see this question in so many forums. Well, if you are a stock footage shooter like us, 12K makes your product a lot more future-proof. Even if you are not concerned about future-proofing your work, the 12K image quality is even more mind blowing when you down scale to an 8K or 4K output. Furthermore, with frame rates like 4K @240fps, 8K @120fps and even 12K @60fps are industry leading speeds and take out all those underwater bumps and shakes, especially with that Super macro lens attached. Another major bonus is the digital cropping that can be done in post, which allows for a 9X zoom crop into the 12K frame and still produces a tack sharp TRUE 4K output. While working on a 4K or 8K production, having the ability to Zoom, pan and scan inside the 12K frame, gives one the ability to render any number of shots from the same single 12K clip. Lastly, the new Davinci Resolve 17.3 software update, with a ".. completely new processing engine.." now ".. work up to 3 times faster on Apple Mac models with the M1 chip", sorts out almost all those speed issues that Apple users were having with processing the BRAW files on their laptops. Get it now? A bit of a no-brainer.

SO. If we are permitted to do this and anyone is seriously interested in getting the housing into production, then please let me know, and we can start the ball rolling.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Russ

Vance Burberry has already proved you can use the UMP12K in Underwater Housing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUOnLUhome ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIjCCJNhrDn ... _copy_link

He's using the HydroFlex MK5 Housings.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:50 am

rick.lang wrote:Apparently BMD will not be attending the NAB 2021 either after Canon, Panasonic, and Sony previously dropped out. Disappointing news but health is everyone’s priority of course.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/nab-s ... magic-too/

The Cinegear in L.A. is a couple weeks away. I believe most of those vendors will be there. I look forward to seeing them again.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

antoine

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am

FEROXED wrote:SO. If we are permitted to do this and anyone is seriously interested in getting the housing into production, then please let me know, and we can start the ball rolling.

Hi Russ

Seems like an excellent idea, I'd love to know how you would shoot underwater with the URSA 12K (and maybe do this myself !). Did you post this idea elsewhere ? You could also open your own post on the forum as this topic is not the best place to discuss this
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

WahWay

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 am

Was the Fairchild sensor too expensive to be profitable so BMD made their own sensor?

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:31 pm

WahWay wrote:Was the Fairchild sensor too expensive to be profitable so BMD made their own sensor?

Actually it’s WAYYYYY more expensive to make your own sensor from scratch rather than customise an existing one like they have done previously. The development cost of their new custom RGBW sensor is likely to be in the many many millions. And it takes 2-3 years before you have the end result. Imagine trying to commit to spending that much on a feature set that you’re guessing at for three years from now…

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Previous

Return to Cinematography