BMPCC 4k (Firmware 7.3) & Gimbals

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

HR Lehner

BMPCC 4k (Firmware 7.3) & Gimbals

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm

1. Weebill-S
I tried the Weebill-S with BMPCC 4k and firmware 7.3. But it doesn't work.
Zhiyan said there guarantee is only with camere firmware 6.6.
After asking for the possibilities they wanted to talk with BM.
The recent reply was now:
"The question comes from when the camera itself control protocol will open to Zhiyun gimbal. That is not we can control. Hope you can understand."
What does that mean?
Something which is on the side of BM?
Any solution?

2. Moza (Aircross 2)
I asked Moza about the camera firmware 7.3.
They replied:
"Sincerely sorry, we have not done the test of your BMPCC4K to the new one V7.3+ with moza aircross 2, so we can not guarantee the performance and compatibility. We also don't get the customer feedback they can't use the BMPCC4K with moza aircross 2 now.
I will forward your case to our engineers to test this new firmware version camera in the future, but we after sales staff have no idea about exact schedule. Thanks for your patience and understanding."

Has anybody an actual experience with V 7.3+ and air cross 2 OR any other Gimbal for focus use (but focus control on air cross 2 can be controlled by following focus anyhow) and record start/stop at least? More adjustments like shutter, iris would be great.

ianlewis

Re: BMPCC 4k (Firmware 7.3) & Gimbals

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 am

I have a Weebill-S and a BMPCC 4K. That's right - with firmware 7.3 the gimbal does not control the camera. The Weebill S will control the camera with firmware 6.9.6, so you have the option of using that - but then you lose Gen 5 and BRAW Q1 and Q3. You just have to decide what's more important to you...

You can, of course, still use the gimbal perfectly well with the camera with firmware 7.3.x; you just have to do all the button-pushing on the camera itself.

Hoping that Blackmagic and Zhiyun will talk to each other sometime soon...

Ian

John Morris

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 am

The Ronin S does seem to work now with 7.3, although it's still not listed as being supported by DJI in the compatibility table..

HR Lehner

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks for your answers.

Ronin S is not produced any longer ... wether the newer versions are suitable for 7.3 ... I don't know.

Regarding focus control, a follow focus system (or focus/zoom function) which can be used with the gimbal-built-in knob - available for most gimbals - is the only way to use focus control with bmpcc 4k.
And this is anyhow independent of camera fimware.

I hope, Zhiyan, Moza etc. will offer a new firmware soon - for the use of the other functions - with bmpcc 4k and V 7.3+. For the time being I have to use the additional adjustments on the camera itself.

Mark Foster

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 12:16 pm

DJI RS-2 and RSC-2 working well mit BMPCC pocket 4k/6k/6k pro

https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

HR Lehner

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks Mark,
but DJI's compability list says clearly: camera firmware 6.6 !!! (look at the small note at the bottom)

(Do you have all these cameras (4k/6k/6k pro) and did you tested them all with the new firmware V 7... ?)
Sorry, I see now, you said you have it ...

Mark Foster

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:44 pm

yes, DJI has unfortunately not updated this

i have a 4k with 7.3 and a 6k pro with 7.3.1,
and both work on my RS-2 with current firmware.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

HR Lehner

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:12 am

Update:
I got the DJI RSC-2, and it does work with BMPCC 4k and camera firmware 7.3:
Focus wheel (Sigma 16mm 1.4), autofocus button, ISO adjustment etc. are all ok.
An update to the newest gimbal firmware was necessary, an installed older firmware version did not operate with BMPCC 4k.
Beside: If the camera itself (without any cage etc.) is mounted onto this gimbal, no counter weights are necessary.

Rustic

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am

The Weebill S by Zhiyun does not work on the BMPCC 4k. The usb connection no longer functions.
I contacted Blackmagic and was told they were working on it. After no updates for a month I contacted them again and was told it was up tp Zhiyun to fix it.

Communication with Zhiyun is mostly unproductive. I got the same message as HR Lehner which after a few questions meant they need information from Blackmagic about usb access. I asked if they have contacted Blackmagic and was told they have sent my query to the Technical Department.
Essentially it is not working and it may never unless the BMPCC 4k 6.9 firmware is used.

If the Video transmitter for the Weebill S is used the camera can be controlled by the gimbal and ZY Play from a phone or iPad. Zy Play could be better especially for focusing on an iPad.

If Zhiyun talk to Blackmagic and fix the usb issue and fix the rough edges in ZY Play the Weebill S would be excellent.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
Ram 32GB
Windows Windows 11 Pro
Graphics GeForce 4090 24GB Creator Ready Drivers
BM PCC 4K, Ursa 12k
Resolve Studio 18

Rustic

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 6:05 am

Zhiyun have finally released 2.07 firmware for Weebill S.

This fixes most things for the BMPCC 4k except electronic focusing in ZY Play with the Transmount video transmitter. Zoom works with the Servo Control.

When using with just the Weebill S everything works including focusing with the wheel.

It is little wonder that ZY Play has a low rating. I have used Bluetooth+ app and it is much better.
If they could combine the good software of the Bluetooth+ with good Zhiyun hardware it would be a great product. ZY Play is dodgy with electronic focus (using the video transmitter) even when it works which it does with BMPCC 4k 6.9 firmware.

It's annoying that the Weebill S package is so close to being excellent. At least they seem to be heading in the right direction. Add touch focus on the screen for the video transmitter and setting different focus points like the Bluetooth+ and it would be very nice.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
Ram 32GB
Windows Windows 11 Pro
Graphics GeForce 4090 24GB Creator Ready Drivers
BM PCC 4K, Ursa 12k
Resolve Studio 18

RaulAndres

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 8:09 am

So Zhiyun's latest firmware update is backwards compatible with BMPCC 4K 6.9 firmware? I am thinking about updating my gimbal's firmware, but I was worried I will lose some compatibility with my camera (which is currently at 6.9.6). I definitely don't want to go back to 7.3 until there is an update by Blackmagic.

Alex Delfont

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 am

RaulAndres wrote:So Zhiyun's latest firmware update is backwards compatible with BMPCC 4K 6.9 firmware? I am thinking about updating my gimbal's firmware, but I was worried I will lose some compatibility with my camera (which is currently at 6.9.6). I definitely don't want to go back to 7.3 until there is an update by Blackmagic.

Did you decide what to do? I am on an older BMPCC4k firmware and my Weebill S firmware is 6.97

I'm not sure what to do, as I'd like to upgrade but don't want issues as I have a job soon

RaulAndres

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 6:18 pm

Alex Delfont wrote:
Did you decide what to do? I am on an older BMPCC4k firmware and my Weebill S firmware is 6.97

I'm not sure what to do, as I'd like to upgrade but don't want issues as I have a job soon

I ended up updating the gimbal's firmware to the latest version. The gimbal is still compatible with the camera, and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I have a Crane 2S.

Alex Delfont

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 am

RaulAndres wrote:
Alex Delfont wrote:

I ended up updating the gimbal's firmware to the latest version. The gimbal is still compatible with the camera, and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I have a Crane 2S.

thanks

Return to Cinematography