Ursa 12K and Zeiss CP3 lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ari Mattes

Ursa 12K and Zeiss CP3 lenses

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a film studies academic looking at moving into production with an eye to securing funding for "creative research projects." I am planning on getting one of the 12K cameras - mainly for the form factor (I like bigger cameras) and frame rates, but the 12K thing is cool too. I've seen some reviews in which picking the right lenses is emphasized for this camera. I was planning on getting a set of CP3s (I've used the CP2s before and liked them, and anything much more is a bit out of my budget).

My question: Does anyone have any experience pairing the CP3s with the 12K camera? I assume they would be sharp enough, but would like more info/ confirmation / advice before making what is a pretty large investment for me. Any other lens recommendations (within a similar price range)?

Cheers,
Ari Mattes

Michael Geelhoed

Re: Ursa 12K and Zeiss CP3 lenses

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:41 am

Ari, I'm interested in the 12k as well - can you link to the article you mentioned and did you make a decision?

The footage I have seen is beautiful but quite modern and clean. I saw some footage on youtube using FD lenses that looked great and some footage with cinema lenses that looked great like a DZOfilm pictor zoom.

A lot of the other footage I'm seeing is impressive but does not have a cinematic look out of the box, so I'd be very interested in any further examples of footage graded for narrative work and with more characterful lenses including vintage lenses.

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 am

You can use pretty much any lens that can be adapted to one of the mounts offered for the UMP 12K.
Yes, only very few lenses will resolve to the limit of the sensor and, even then, only at their best aperture. But that sensor is not really made for extreme detail, it's made for good colors and reasonable sensitivity.

Apart from the CP3s the whole line of Zeiss Contax/Yashica lenses are an interesting option. They have a nice balance between resolution and still some vintage charme. There is a guide over at reduser.net by Nick Morrison: www.reduser.net/forum/shooting-red/lens ... ival-guide

Personally, I like the Pentax Takumar lenses for a vintage look.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

John Brawley

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Didn’t see this posted earlier.

This is 12k with Zeiss CP2 and CP3.

There very little difference between CP2 and CP3, most of the changes were mechanics, adding lens data etc.

JB

John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 3:40 pm

I shot with the CP2s (which I understand are the same glass as the CP3s), and I think they are very nice lenses. Super sharp, contrasty, nice skin tones. Kinda boring but a very modern and clean look. They remind me a lot of Sigma Art lenses in that regard.

Ari Mattes

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 5:26 am

Michael Geelhoed wrote:Ari, I'm interested in the 12k as well - can you link to the article you mentioned and did you make a decision?

I did a peremptory search for reviews, and just looked at the ones that came up (CVP, provideo coalition, etc.). From what I can gather, it looks like a good, versatile camera, affordable for me with the price drop. So I'm definitely going to pick one up.

The big question for me, now, concerns the lenses. John Brawley notes below the CP2s and CP3s are pretty similar - I have used rented CP2s before, and can pick up a used set for about a third the price of some new CP3s... May be a wiser investment at this stage.

Have you made a jump with the camera?

Ari Mattes

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to know CP2s work well with the camera, as I love these lenses... Happy Shooting!

Return to Cinematography