New iPhone. Better than a BM Camera?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

javier forza

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 am

How far could go a mobile phone in terms of quality, dynamic range, low light capabilities, stabilization, portability, accessories ?
It's going to replace big and expensive camera soon?
Food for thoughts. Opinions are very welcome.

A trailer

Specs
https://www.apple.com/iphone-13-pro/

Travis Hodgkinson

Re: New iPhone. Better than a BM Camera?

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 3:46 am

I think it's going to be an awesome tool to have in the toolbox.

Prores on a phone is pretty damn EPIC :)

I've been Apple for past 11 years and have no desire to change.

Things are always going to get faster, stronger, better.... Daft Punk like :D in this case smaller :P

I don't care what a film is shot on, if the story rocks and the imagery is great, I'll buy the popcorn 8-) And that I think is most people.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 am

The concepts of the iPhone 13 Pro/Max cameras are impressive, but let’s see how well it’s executed.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 am

If you have a superb story, good production design, correct lighting, the iPhone 13 will be decent enough to shoot docs and narrative too. Again, light correctly and DR, Low light, stability becomes secondary or possibly irrelevant.

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:I don't care what a film is shot on, if the story rocks and the imagery is great, I'll buy the popcorn 8-) And that I think is most people.

I agree to some practical extend.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:44 am

A note I want to make is why can’t BM provide some of the features like focus racking similar to the iPhone 13? How about a firmware enhancement on the URSA Mini Pro, and BMPCC 4/6/6K pro.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 am

If you look at AF in cameras by Sony or Canon, it's obvious that years of research went into such powerful tracking features. Even Nikon is somewhat behind. Apple has very deep pockets and can do the same, it would be difficult for BM to come close.
And then, all these companies control the glass too. You can see the advantage when third-party lenses are behind in AF speed. BM has no glass to offer at their own specs. I think they'll focus on their brilliant sensor technology and leave the lead in AF to others.
Regarding iPhones: Even a decent SE II is very precise in colors, it's impressive. Same applies to their displays.
The masking or depth control should improve a lot with LIDAR. The ones without it are just using face recognition and the edges are awful.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 am

A few things to keep in mind about video on the iPhone 13 Pro

- Dynamic tonemapping cannot be disabled = there is no way to truly set and hold a consistent exposure through the entire frame. It’s virtually impossible and time consuming to try to remedy in post.

- The lightning connector through which the footage needs to travel to get off the phone and onto a drive only runs at 480 megabits per second. That’s a measly 1/10 the speed of USB 3.1 and 1/20 the speed of USB 3.2. So be prepared to spend a loooooong time copying footage.
EDIT — Airdrop isn't any faster for sharing large video files, and can be even slower than the lightning connection.

- The sensor is teeny tiny. Don’t expect any real bokeh and be prepared to use a lot more light to avoid noisy footage.

- It costs as much or more than a 4K Pocket

EDIT — also the "cinematic mode" only records to long-GOP not ProRes, and it's limited to 30 fps. Apple marketing is simply trolling us.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Dan Keeble

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:A few things to keep in mind about video on the iPhone 13 Pro

- Dynamic tonemapping cannot be disabled = there is no way to truly set and hold a consistent exposure through the entire frame. It’s virtually impossible and time consuming to try to remedy in post.

- The lightning connector through which the footage needs to travel to get off the phone and onto a drive only runs at 480 megabits per second. That’s a measly 1/10 the speed of USB 3.1 and 1/20 the speed of USB 3.2. So be prepared to spend a loooooong time copying footage.

- The sensor is teeny tiny. Don’t expect any real bokeh and be prepared to use a lot more light to avoid noisy footage.

- It costs as much or more than a 4K Pocket

...but can I call my nan on a 4K Pocket? :(
www.flud.digital

Travis Hodgkinson

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:54 am

If you hold down on the screen, you enable AE/AF mode which keeps the same exposure throughout the entire scene based on it's original bounding block location. Will be really interesting to see just how powerful the new mode handles the post focus. I think we're about to see some really decent content emerge from these phones.

Also, Airdrop is stupid fast and works without a hassle in my experience since it's inception.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 am

I think it would be incredibly ignorant not to take phone cameras seriously in the year 2021 and onwards.

These are becoming very serious tools with so many features packed into one.

I don't think a client would want to pay $5000+ for a video for you to rock up with an iPhone just yet hahaha

BUT.....

On set, these will make great additions if used to their strengths.

JonPais

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:A few things to keep in mind about video on the iPhone 13 Pro

Clips can be imported directly into the NLE from the photo library; or drag and drop them into Frame.io. When shooting Dolby Vision with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the clips appear in the photo libraries of my other Apple devices almost instantly. C2C workflow is the future.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote: If you hold down on the screen, you enable AE/AF mode which keeps the same exposure throughout the entire scene based on it's original bounding block location.
Totally separate from dynamic tone mapping which cannot be disabled, even in third party apps like Filmic Pro. Steven Soderbergh himself has complained about it and joked that he would send Apple the bill for all the hours it took to try to fix it in post on High Flying Bird.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/high-flying-bird-steven-soderbergh-apple-iphone-netflix-1202043102/

JonPais wrote:Clips can be imported directly into the NLE from the photo library; or drag and drop them into Frame.io. When shooting Dolby Vision with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the clips appear in the photo libraries of my other Apple devices almost instantly. C2C workflow is the future.
An hour of 4K ProRes is over 300GB — 7x the data rate of the HEVC on iPhone 12 Pro. That’s going to be slow to Airdrop and upload to Frame.io too.
www.cinedocs.com

JonPais

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

Kim Janson wrote:Over 10 years ago The season finale of the TV show House, was filmed entirely with the Canon 5D Mark II, I wonder when we see something similar done with a phone.
Check out High Flying Bird (2019,) a sports drama by Steven Soderbergh shot entirely on the iPhone 8 and snatched up by Netflix. It is streaming on Netflix in Dolby Vision. It was the second film shot by Soderbergh on an iPhone.

JonPais

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Travis Hodgkinson wrote: If you hold down on the screen, you enable AE/AF mode which keeps the same exposure throughout the entire scene based on it's original bounding block location.
Totally separate from dynamic tone mapping which cannot be disabled, even in third party apps like Filmic Pro. Steven Soderbergh himself has complained about it and joked that he would send Apple the bill for all the hours it took to try to fix it in post on High Flying Bird.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/high-flying-bird-steven-soderbergh-apple-iphone-netflix-1202043102/

JonPais wrote:Clips can be imported directly into the NLE from the photo library; or drag and drop them into Frame.io. When shooting Dolby Vision with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the clips appear in the photo libraries of my other Apple devices almost instantly. C2C workflow is the future.
An hour of 4K ProRes is over 300GB — 7x the data rate of the HEVC on iPhone 12 Pro. That’s going to be slow to Airdrop and upload to Frame.io too.
5G will be able to deliver data rates up to one hundred times faster than today's 4G networks. Everything will be faster. C2C is the future.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am

JonPais wrote:5G will be able to deliver data rates up to one hundred times faster than today's 4G networks. C2C is the future.
In countries that actually have real telecom competition, or in those that actually regulate them in the public interest, maybe that will be the future. But in the USA the FCC has allowed telecom monopolies to leave us with upload speeds that are so slow they are useless for sharing camera original source media. And while 5G in theory could be faster, in real use here it’s no faster than 4G, and in some cases actually slower. So I highly doubt that uploading 300GB from an iPhone will ever be a feasible option in any meaningful way for most of the USA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/09/08/5g-speed/
www.cinedocs.com

JonPais

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:23 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
JonPais wrote:5G will be able to deliver data rates up to one hundred times faster than today's 4G networks. C2C is the future.
In countries that actually have real telecom competition, or in those that actually regulate them in the public interest, maybe that will be the future. But in the USA the FCC has allowed telecom monopolies to leave us with upload speeds that are so slow they are useless for sharing camera original source media. And while 5G in theory could be faster, in real use here it’s no faster than 4G, and in some cases actually slower. So I highly doubt that uploading 300GB from an iPhone will ever be a feasible option in any meaningful way for most of the USA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/09/08/5g-speed/
Why don't we wait to see how long it takes for ProRes on the iPhone before making predictions. There was no ProRes on the iPhone when Soderbergh shot his films with iPhones, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Tim Franks

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:54 am

And again still not ProRes RAW on the BMPCC! :lol:
I hear the comments on the upcoming productions: "What my iPhone can even record ProRes Raw!" :lol:

:D

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am

Does it? I think it's not RAW.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Phil999

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Kim Janson wrote:just to look good the phone holder blocking the screen :D

they simply have to rotate the holder by 180° and attach the phone the proper way. ;)

Regarding data transfer, in the not too distant future it might be possible to record directly to an external drive. Recently I did an edit on an iPad Pro with an app called Luma Fusion. The 4k 8 bit footage was on an external SSD. A LUT and stabilisation was applied to each clip, and editing on a 1080p timeline was fluent without hiccups. Export went directly to the external SSD.

John Paines

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:I don't care what a film is shot on, if the story rocks and the imagery is great, I'll buy the popcorn 8-) And that I think is most people.

But, for the nth time, creating dramatic illusion is all but impossible at the sort of budget which would oblige anyone to use an iphone. Unless you have shooting requirements that *only* an iphone can satisfy, or expect to gain a marketing advantage by using it (Soderbergh?), it makes no sense for dramatic material. Prores won't change that.

High Flying Bird, referenced above, looks exactly how'd you'd expect: a professional production shot on a phone. At the time of his first iphone feature, Soderbergh raved in the promotional interviews about the image quality, how beautiful he found it "velvety", etc. etc. etc. Whether he really believes that, only a mind reader knows. But I think it's fair to say his view is idiosyncratic. Look at the link above: “My attitude has always been, ‘So, you think you can improve on real life? Like, the way things look in the real world, you think you can do better than that?'” said Soderbergh. “I’ve always been amused by people who take that approach.”

Again, does he really believe that? If so, how does he account for cinematography generally, including some of his own past work? You know, what you get with, like, lights and s***? And who knew people go to movies for "real life".... For that matter, what a camera sees and records is not "real life". Which is the reason people use lights to get a "naturalistic" look. Soderbergh knows all this and more, so what is he really thinking? Or is it just copy for the indie tabloids?

But you're absolutely right: for all the movies you're not going to make, the camera doesn't matter in the slightest. Use an iphone! In the real world, however, anyone with the resources to create a persuasive dramatic illusion is going to look for something better -- unless the idea is to create novelty, marketing opportunities, etc.
Last edited by John Paines on Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm

John Paines wrote:In the real world, however, anyone with the resources to create a persuasive dramatic illusion is going to look for something better -- unless the idea is to create novelty, marketing opportunities, etc.

The evolution of the IPhone to this point is epic and cannot be ignored. I do agree if anyone makes something for distribution with the IPhone, it is to create novelty and marketing opportunities. I won't hang my filming career as a DP who tout and uses the IPhone, but maybe put it in the mix as a c-cam with other cinema cameras, and again maybe. But when I am vacationing and traveling taking pics and videos for my pleasure, I'll take the IPhone anytime over a BMPCC 4/6K. It just makes absolute sense.

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Of course, the depth information will not be compatible right away and maybe never will.
I just wanted to state that there are established formats and software to use it.
And then, while the LIDAR information may not be very detailed and not reach very far, it might work pretty well with some deep learning to help with separation, like temporal analysis.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm

I wonder about Timecode sync with one or more iPhones recording images and the need to sync audio. Surely that’s a key part of modern cinematography.

I no longer get excited by Apple promotional shorts. No clue how many hours and person-hours and crew are involved in each short with its seemingly 100 clips averaging a half-second of time and jumping all over the place in terms of locations and time of day so you can’t evaluate the continuity of any aspect including video, colour, audio.

Still I am impressed with the direction they’re going and who knows if iPhone 14 will continue the trend.
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:47 pm

rick.lang wrote:I wonder about Timecode sync with one or more iPhones recording images and the need to sync audio. Surely that’s a key part of modern cinematography.

Here's one solution: https://www.timecodesystems.com/ultrasy ... on-iphone/
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks, Brad.
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:I no longer get excited by Apple promotional shorts. No clue how many hours and person-hours and crew are involved in each short with its seemingly 100 clips averaging a half-second of time and jumping all over the place in terms of locations and time of day so you can’t evaluate the continuity of any aspect including video, colour, audio.

I assume it's obvious that Apple's main target audience for these iPhone features is not cinematographers, but everyday people who would feel chuffed to simply have those capabilities in their phone even if they never use them. I read somewhere years ago that a high proportion of people who buy technical clothing from Patagonia never actually use it for rock climbing or expeditions; instead they buy it to motivate themselves to go out and do those things someday. In the meantime they just daydream about it.

PBS recently ran an excellent documentary called Icon: Music Through the Lens, which traces the history of rock-and-roll photography from the 1950s to present. Episode five (the final episode) is relevant here: they sit down with many of the still-living greats of rock music photography and talk about where things are going in the age of Instagram and Facebook, where everyone in the audience is a photographer and a videographer using their phones. Some of the photographers resist it, some scoff at it, others embrace it and try to find ways to fit into that world and still make a living.

I think it'll be harder for professional photographers to survive this revolution than for professional vidographers/filmmakers, because filmmaking is so much more complicated. It all reminds me of the early days of desktop publishing, when suddenly anyone could become a graphic designer and layout artist and millions of people were churning out the ugliest stuff imaginable with multiple typefaces and no design sense. Eventually people realized graphic design should be best left to professionals, but the tools are still there and available for anyone who wants to learn how use them.
Last edited by Brad Hurley on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krishna Pada

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 5:17 pm

rick.lang wrote:I wonder about Timecode sync with one or more iPhones recording images and the need to sync audio. Surely that’s a key part of modern cinematography.

Timecode sync. Sigh.
In the early days of digital filmmaking 5D Mark2 used to shoot at 23.976 fps and cinema projection in analog projectors could play only 24fps. FCP7 didn't actually know how to handle 23.976, there used to be a feature called "Cinema Tools" to match the sound mismatch.

In analog days, not very long ago, sound used to get recorded through Nagra, films were shot separately. 24fps used to be sacrosanct and separate sound and pictures were matched by the sound of the clapboard. No timecode sync obviously. Cinema used to happen anyway.

There is no definition of "modern cinematography". Modernity is changing with technology. 8-)
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Krishna, I used Nagra to record sound for broadcast television once about 50 years ago. It was all serendipitous as I was in the right place at the right time and had no experience with audio although I was beginning to shoot (silent) 16mm film.
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:25 pm

Brad, professional photographers will survive in these days where most anyone who wants to buy a fantastic camera can do so. It’s the ‘eye’ for it that sets the professional apart. Their ability to grab your attention and spark your imagination in ways that set them apart that resonate.

What you’re saying may well apply to event photography but even there, a pro will find a way through to achieve more than snapshots.
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 pm

rick.lang wrote:Brad, professional photographers will survive in these days where most anyone who wants to buy a fantastic camera can do so. It’s the ‘eye’ for it that sets the professional apart.

I agree, and several of the photographers in the Icon documentary said pretty much the same thing, although a few were less sanguine. For live concerts, it seems, the glory days are over: the first big blow was the restriction to the first three songs (previously a band's photographer could be present on stage or in the pit throughout the concert), and now the competition from not just people in the audience with iPhones but amateur photographers with professional cameras...as one person said in the film, "there are just too many photographers today," and if they can take multiple shots per second (aka spray and pray) they stand a good chance of getting at least a few great shots.

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:35 pm

This is good for the TikTok crowd.

For us traditional filmmakers ? Not so much.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:23 pm

Mark my words -- Apple is about to finance a major $100M type of project with the express intent of having it shot entirely on an iPhone Pro. Would be the marketing stunt of the century, especially if they don't tell anyone until after the movie comes out and the cinematography looks absolutely stunning.

I bet Steven Soderbergh would be totally up for it too!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

JonPais

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Mark my words -- Apple is about to finance a major $100M type of project with the express intent of having it shot entirely on an iPhone Pro. Would be the marketing stunt of the century, especially if they don't tell anyone until after the movie comes out and the cinematography looks absolutely stunning.

I bet Steven Soderbergh would be totally up for it too!
That would be a drop in the bucket for a company that spends billions on marketing worldwide. Season 1 of The Morning Show alone averaged 32 product placements per episode according to the WSJ, which noted that the iPhone appeared so often, it appears like an appendage. Throughout 74 ‌Apple TV+‌ episodes of shows including Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Defending Jacob, and Trying, the WSJ counted 300 iPhones, 120 MacBooks, and 40 pairs of AirPods shown throughout certain scenes. source - macrumors

timbutt2

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:37 pm

John Brawley wrote:This is good for the TikTok crowd.

For us traditional filmmakers ? Not so much.

JB
I’m in concurrence.

Now, I’m going to get an iPhone 13 because I’ve had my current iPhone for 3-years. I don’t know whether or not I’ll get a Pro. But I’m not buying a phone for video purposes. I buy a phone with the intention that it should last 3-4 years. I’ve never gotten 4-years out of a phone except for my old 2006 flip-phone that lasted until 2010. No smartphone has lasted that long.

I want to be clear that if I get an iPhone 13 Pro I will probably reach for my Blackmagic Design Cinema Cameras first for video. But the Pro could be a great tool for location scouting and frame blocking with actors to prepare a scene. It could be a wonderful tool for directors to communicate their vision to the crew as to the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Mike Potton

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:57 pm

It's kinda the ultimate directors viewfinder now right? 3x Lens's with a wide focal range and the ability to preview a focus rack, set a virtual f-stop...

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 am

Mike Potton wrote:It's kinda the ultimate directors viewfinder now right? 3x Lens's with a wide focal range and the ability to preview a focus rack, set a virtual f-stop...
Yes, that’s the purpose I see with it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t rely on it for making a movie.

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 1:38 am

I worked on the second season of the morning show.

Apple don’t dictate product placements. This kind of journalism is a total beat up.

They obviously prefer if people are making phone calls they use iPhones or if they use a computer it’s an Apple.

A lot of the story involves people using technology like phones and computers.

This season deals a little with Covid and there are storyline’s about “zoom” calls.

Apple are not the ones making this content. They have a seperate content division who then hires a studio (Media Res) who then partner with a production company (Hello Sunshine) who then makes the show.

The props master works with a director to make sure all the props used are appropriate. There’s no one from Apple looking over our shoulders telling us when and how often to use anything.

By the way if you watch the Morning Show you’ll also notice there’s a massive amount of Blackmagic product used on camera as well. The entire studio is run on BMD cameras monitors and switches.

I asked the props master. It was all bought and paid for. No product placement.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 am

John Brawley wrote:I worked on the second season of the morning show.

Apple don’t dictate product placements. This kind of journalism is a total beat up.

They obviously prefer if people are making phone calls they use iPhones or if they use a computer it’s an Apple.

A lot of the story involves people using technology like phones and computers.

This season deals a little with Covid and there are storyline’s about “zoom” calls.

Apple are not the ones making this content. They have a seperate content division who then hires a studio (Media Res) who then partner with a production company (Hello Sunshine) who then makes the show.

The props master works with a director to make sure all the props used are appropriate. There’s no one from Apple looking over our shoulders telling us when and how often to use anything.

By the way if you watch the Morning Show you’ll also notice there’s a massive amount of Blackmagic product used on camera as well. The entire studio is run on BMD cameras monitors and switches.

I asked the props master. It was all bought and paid for. No product placement.

JB

Please tell me you're using the 12K on The Morning Show?

JonPais

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 am

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.05.30 AM-2.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.05.30 AM-2.jpg (884.75 KiB) Viewed 19056 times

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.06.29 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.06.29 AM.jpg (964.32 KiB) Viewed 19056 times

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.08.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.08.56 AM.jpg (602.69 KiB) Viewed 19056 times

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 3:15 am

I just did a film with Naomi Watts.

The entire film is her running with an iPhone.

Apple had nothing to do with it.

I don’t think you really understand how this works.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tim Franks

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 5:16 am

Uli Plank wrote:Does it? I think it's not RAW.
Not even sure if the iPhone 13 supports RAW, I can imagine if not, it will in the future. (Next feature to sale you a new iPhone)
It seem Apple delivered what Red didn’t with the Hydrogen! :D

Still if the iPhone can do ProRes and a BMPCC should be able to do ProRes Raw!
Let’s also consider that the iPhone 12 is already recording 120fps at 4k for HDR video and then delivering it in a 60p wrapper.

Tim Franks

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 5:28 am

rick.lang wrote:
I no longer get excited by Apple promotional shorts. No clue how many hours and person-hours and crew are involved in each short with its seemingly 100 clips averaging a half-second of time and jumping all over the place in terms of locations and time of day so you can’t evaluate the continuity of any aspect including video, colour, audio.

I imagine as much as one would with a RED.
You k ow what they say production value comes from what in front and behind the camera and not the camera itself.

Regarding comments on shooting movies on the iPhone like Unsane, Tangerine and High Flying Bird from Soderbergh. Remember 28 Days later where they shot portion of the film on a Canon XL1 to minimize disturbance and be more manoeuvrable.
A iPhone would fit perfect for this. If we only could fit a cinema lens on it. :D

Mark Foster

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:13 am

ProRes support will not be available for iPhone 13 pro users at launch!

and yes, not RAW
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Tim Franks

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 am

Mark Foster wrote:ProRes support will not be available for iPhone 13 pro users at launch!

and yes, not RAW
I think we still see a quicker support for RAW then for the BlackMagicDesign cameras. :P

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 am

I think it'll be harder for professional photographers to survive this revolution than for professional vidographers/filmmakers, because filmmaking is so much more complicated. It all reminds me of the early days of desktop publishing, when suddenly anyone could become a graphic designer and layout artist and millions of people were churning out the ugliest stuff imaginable with multiple typefaces and no design sense. Eventually people realized graphic design should be best left to professionals, but the tools are still there and available for anyone who wants to learn how use them.

Well said Brad. I totally agree with you on this. Having studied and worked as a professional Graphic Designer for a bunch of studios, you'd come across some "interesting" content. :lol:

There is always going to be a place for professional filmmakers and photographers.
We just need to learn to embrace changes more often as it's the only constant!

Tim Franks

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am

Still surprised main feel that the equipment makes one professional. It is still the person behind the equipment that know how to get the best out of it.

Creative110

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 am

I use the Cadrage app on my Mini for scouting and focal length comparisons. It’s remarkable how much power these little computers have.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:00 am

JonPais wrote: 5G will be able to deliver data rates up to one hundred times faster than today's 4G networks. Everything will be faster. C2C is the future.

Yeee, specially in those remote locations :D
C2C is great tech. Not sure why introduced so late.

You still have to hold that phone properly to do this (and cinema mode-aka 'artificial blur' is not going help much):

almost each shot is a masterpiece. Suddenly simple scenes have new dimension.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt White

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Anyone can use a pencil. Few can draw beautifully.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:17 pm

And better or worse pencil doesn't change that fact :lol:
Next

Return to Cinematography