POWERBASE EDGE V-MOUNT BATTERY ISSUES. ANYONE?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

singlefincinema

POWERBASE EDGE V-MOUNT BATTERY ISSUES. ANYONE?

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been experiencing a lot of issues when using the Powerbase Edge V-mount batteries and LP-E6 dummy with the BMPCC6K.

In a nutshell, the camera shuts down by itself when I switch from playback mode to live view/record mode. Some times it happens instantly and other times it powers off after I switch from playback to record mode 2-3 times.

Has anybody out there been experiencing the same issue when using the Powerbase Edge batteries?

Please, let me know.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and personal experiences.

Thanks!

Jamie LeJeune

Re: POWERBASE EDGE V-MOUNT BATTERY ISSUES. ANYONE?

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Never had that issue, even when I'm powering from the dummy battery.

Rather than using the dummy battery, I'd connect D-tap to the power input on the Pocket. That way you can also run an internal battery simultaneously. Two power sources are better than one.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

singlefincinema

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Never had that issue, even when I'm powering from the dummy battery.

Rather than using the dummy battery, I'd connect D-tap to the power input on the Pocket. That way you can also run an internal battery simultaneously. Two power sources are better than one.

Jamie, thanks for pitching in. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the power input since I am using this V-mount/Dummy with my underwater housing and the 2-pin doesn't fit.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:48 pm

I also never had the issue. Like Jamie, I do prefer using the D-tap to power input connection.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

singlefincinema

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I also never had the issue. Like Jamie, I do prefer using the D-tap to power input connection.

Thanks Ellory. I really appreciate your feedback. Would you be willing to run a test with your dummy battery connected to the Powerbase and let me know how that goes?

Like you and Jamie, I also rather use D-tap to the 2-pin power input as well. Unfortunately my waterhousing doesn't have enough space to use that option without running the risk of bending and damaging the internal wires. My options are limited to only using the LP-E6 dummies when I go underwater.

singlefincinema

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Never had that issue, even when I'm powering from the dummy battery.

Jamie, would you be willing to test your Powerbase and LP-E6 Dummy battery with the BMPCC6K body and let me know how that goes? I'd like to gather as much info. as possible from other users so I can have some sort of perspective when speaking with techs at Core SWX and BlackMagic regarding this issue.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Ellory Yu

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 4:26 am

singlefincinema wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I also never had the issue. Like Jamie, I do prefer using the D-tap to power input connection.

Thanks Ellory. I really appreciate your feedback. Would you be willing to run a test with your dummy battery connected to the Powerbase and let me know how that goes?

Like you and Jamie, I also rather use D-tap to the 2-pin power input as well. Unfortunately my waterhousing doesn't have enough space to use that option without running the risk of bending and damaging the internal wires. My options are limited to only using the LP-E6 dummies when I go underwater.

There are a number of post that talks about the Core Edge power brick. just search for core edge or power base.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 am

singlefincinema wrote: Jamie, would you be willing to test your Powerbase and LP-E6 Dummy battery with the BMPCC6K body and let me know how that goes? I'd like to gather as much info. as possible from other users so I can have some sort of perspective when speaking with techs at Core SWX and BlackMagic regarding this issue.
I’ve used the same set of 3 PowerEdge batteries with the 4K Pocket, then the 6K Pocket and never had the issue you describe. Currently the only pocket camera I have is the 6K Pocket Pro, it takes NP-F batteries and I never got an NP-F dummy battery so I only use the D-tap to the 2-pin power port with it.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am

For what it may be worth. I had used a dummy battery adapter to a "brick" with my pocket 4K (couple years ago.) That part of the camera would heat up a lot eventually causing a return to BMD service for repair when the camera failed. (and this was a dummy battery that claimed to work for this) Since then I have connected to the power input as Jamie has stated and for a couple years now the camera has run a normal temperature and has not had any issues, power or otherwise. A Core 98 can run the pocket 4K, 2 Nucleus-M and a 7" monitor for a bit over 2.5 hours continuously.

Maybe you can find a 90 degree connector that will fit into you housing.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to Cinematography