Metabones - does it matter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jthom2000

Metabones - does it matter?

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 pm

How much of a difference does it make to use the pocket 4k-specific metabones speedbooster vs just the 0.7x EF to Micro 4/3rds version?

There is an EF to M43 version for sale used nearby and I'd rather just go for that if the difference is negligible.

Thanks!

John Griffin

Re: Metabones - does it matter?

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Depends on what lenses are used. Non retrofocus wide primes will benefit from the P4k speedbooster but longer lenses and zooms less so.

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:28 pm

The difference is that the SpeedBooster for BMD cameras has been adjusted for the thickness of the sensor cover glass that BMD uses on all their mirrorless cameras which differs from the traditional mirrorless camera manufacturers. The difference in focus allows you to use fast lenses wide open. If you go with that alternative, you may need to close the iris a couple of stops so the greater depth of field comes into play. So it might depend upon your own shooting style and subjects. If you shoot exteriors at f/5.6, you may be fine. But I’d recommend the BMD camera specific SpeedBooster to give you greater flexibility.
Rick Lang

John Griffin

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 8:17 pm

Nothing to do with the speed of the lens and everything to do with the position of the exit pupil / rear nodal point of the lens in relation to the sensor stack.

John Brawley

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 2:13 pm

First of all I don’t use speedboosters. I understand why some people do but I don’t want any part of that they do to an image.

As I understand this version “works better” with very fast lenses. If you’re planning to use F2 or faster primes you will notice a difference.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:23 am

JB, what it is you don't like about Metabones SB? Is it that it messes up something optically or ruins the lens characteristic?

Sami Sanpakkila

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am

I've been using the Metabones EF – BMPCC4K T Speed Booster XL 0.64x for the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and it's a match made in heaven. So far I've shot hundreds of hours of footage with many different lenses and have not seen any undesired effects.

On my Sony FS700 on the other hand with a Speed Booster and certain lenses they would over sharpen the image in some cases that would make the image look just a little too sharp to my taste.

So if you use high end cinema glass that is very sharp this might be an undesired effect on the Pocket 4K as well.

But with the Pocket 4K and the Canon EF lenses I use I can highly recommend the Speed Booster!

askomiko

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 8:30 am

How bad would the m43 version be with normal-ish lenses in 20-50mm range? The availability has been bad for the 4k version.

Return to Cinematography