BMD m43 for 360 VR Rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul Curtis

BMD m43 for 360 VR Rig

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:06 am

I'm looking at approaches for a VR Rig.

Googling was there a time when there was a 4K micro cinema camera? I've found reference to one but obviously the current camera on the site is HD only.

I see the studio cameras are m43 and 4K but have a whacking great touchscreen on the back, which i suspect isn't removable?

So can anyone confirm whether there is a 4K m43 box camera from BMD and also whether these (or the studio) can be sync'd together accurately?

There are offerings from zcam/panasonic/red etc so i'd have thought BMD would have (or maybe soon?) something that would work?

thanks
Paul

Howard Roll

Re: BMD m43 for 360 VR Rig

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:15 am

The Micro Studio 4k is EOL as of a couple months ago. They were genlockable but offered limited dynamic range (~10 stops) and required external recording.

The Micro Cinema HD can be genlocked via the expansion port.

Good Luck

Paul Curtis

Re: BMD m43 for 360 VR Rig

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The Micro Studio 4k is EOL as of a couple months ago. They were genlockable but offered limited dynamic range (~10 stops) and required external recording.

The Micro Cinema HD can be genlocked via the expansion port.

Good Luck

Ah, that explains it. I wondered why it would have been EOL as on paper it seems ideal.

HD is not enough res for my use case.

I really hope that BMD pop the pocket 4k m43 sensor in that form factor, i can't believe they just EOL'd the one obvious option for all this work!

thanks for clarifying
Paul

Return to Cinematography