DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens Breathing Test

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thefilmaddict

DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens Breathing Test

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm

I did a bunch of rack focuses to test the focus breathing on the DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens. I feel like it did a pretty good job. Do you agree?

Marshall Harrington

Re: DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm T2.8 Super35 Zoom Lens Breathing

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Agree it looks good. I've been happily surprised by these lenses though I've found Chromatic Aberration and some distortion to be a little bit of an issue.

Curious. What did you shoot it with and was there sharpening in post.

thefilmaddict

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 5:45 pm

When I first saw the distortion, I was like what is this? But I've grown to actually like the flaws in this lens. I feel like it has a lot of character. I like how the highlights glow. I like that the lens is a little on the warm side. For the money, it's a pretty good deal when it comes to PL lenses in my opinion. I shot with the URSA 12K. I did add a little sharpening (-.47 I believe). I've always done this with my blackmagic cameras. It would be fine without it, but sometimes I like that added crispness. Do you add sharpening in resolve? I've asked people this question before and no one has responded yet.

lost_soul

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Nice stuff thanks for sharing. That shot of the island at 1:30 was interesting. It looked like the Island was rising up out of the water. As an owner of the worst focus breathing lens of all time, the Sigma 50-100 photo lens I have to say I am jealous of those focus pulls.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 am

thefilmaddict wrote:When I first saw the distortion, I was like what is this? But I've grown to actually like the flaws in this lens. I feel like it has a lot of character. I like how the highlights glow. I like that the lens is a little on the warm side. For the money, it's a pretty good deal when it comes to PL lenses in my opinion. I shot with the URSA 12K. I did add a little sharpening (-.47 I believe). I've always done this with my blackmagic cameras. It would be fine without it, but sometimes I like that added crispness. Do you add sharpening in resolve? I've asked people this question before and no one has responded yet.
I do add a little in cases where I want a crispy look. Most of the time around -.25ish. But I often like how these lenses look right out of the box. Not really a fan of the distortion though. Especially indoors where you can see the corners of a room when it can really throw you off. Also starting to notice the CA much more. But there are more shots where like you, I just like how they look.

Return to Cinematography