Video Assist 12G 7" HUGE color shift issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

icarusaxu

Video Assist 12G 7" HUGE color shift issue

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:42 am

Hey guys,

I have a brand new Video Assist 12G 7" and straight out of the box I'm getting a crazy color shift, almost as if it's double lutted.

The strangest thing is, when it first boots, it shows the image correctly for a split second, then switches completely on with overlays and double LUTS the image.

I've factory reset to no avail, running the latest firmware. No LUTS on.

The same SDI source looks normal on every other monitor I have. It almost seems like a legal/extended or a SDI level error on this Video Assist 12G 7". Anyone have any thoughts?

Google Photos link showing the issue in video and a factory reset:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZwA8yN6PBjYybphXA

WHEN IT FIRST BOOTS:

CORRECT IMAGE.jpg
CORRECT IMAGE.jpg (417.94 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

AFTER A SECOND WHEN ITS FULLY BOOTED:

INCORRECT IMAGE.jpg
INCORRECT IMAGE.jpg (456.76 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

icarusaxu

Re: Video Assist 12G 7" HUGE color shift issue

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 pm

New Media support has gotten back to me saying -

"
I've had this confirmed by BMD as a software bug that only affects some units.
This bug has been found and patched and is slated for release "very soon". I'm not exactly how soon that will be, however BMD don't throw that term around lightly, so fingers crossed it means in a week or two!
"

However that doesn't help me now. It's a brand new unit. Anybody see this and was able to change firmware or anything that helped?

WahWay

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 7:16 am

Many Video Assist 12G HDR has a shift to warm or magenta. Let hope when the new firmware is release to address this problem it also add screen WB and tint calibration as seen in all the Pocket cameras.

icarusaxu

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 am

WahWay wrote:Many Video Assist 12G HDR has a shift to warm or magenta. Let hope when the new firmware is release to address this problem it also add screen WB and tint calibration as seen in all the Pocket cameras.

Thanks for the response. I have heard about the magenta shift, but this looks way more extreme. Like a double LUT.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 4:10 pm

Good to know we’re close to an update for the BMVA12G7 (and others?). The Video Assist could certainly benefit from another firmware update.
Rick Lang

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 4:57 pm

icarusaxu wrote:New Media support has gotten back to me saying -

"
I've had this confirmed by BMD as a software bug that only affects some units.
This bug has been found and patched and is slated for release "very soon". I'm not exactly how soon that will be, however BMD don't throw that term around lightly, so fingers crossed it means in a week or two!
"

However that doesn't help me now. It's a brand new unit. Anybody see this and was able to change firmware or anything that helped?

I would simply send it back saying it's faulty (because it's). Waiting for FW update which may come next week or in next few weeks is poor solution.

icarusaxu

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:40 am

Kim Janson wrote:It sounds like the problem has been analysed and identified as bug, but just asking.

Did you verify that is not focus peaking or LUT that gets loaded at the end of the boot sequence.

Edit: it seems though also the LDS indicator gets shifted to red, so maybe a bug indeed, unless is there is there a screen calibration on VA.

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 10.04.19.jpg

Yeah I did a factory reset, and confirmed no LUT or peaking was turned on.

I just had another friend recreate the same issue. He bought his a year ago. He (and I) sees this when receiving an image from a Teradek Bolt receiver via SDI. Cabled direct from camera via SDI it is fine. So there is something that the Video Assist is getting confused about relating to the SDI feed from the receiver.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am

It's probably color space payload, which freaks it out. Depending if SDI has it or not (and what value) it behaves differently. Sounds easy to fix with FW update.

icarusaxu

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 3:55 am

** UPDATE **

LATEST FIRMWARE FIXED IT! (3,5 I THINK)

The latest firmware has fixed the issue.

You set "Record HDR Format Overide" to 709. This fixes the color space issue.

For some reason previous firmwares receive the signal from the Teradek and think its Rec 2020 and put it in a incorrect color space.

Thanks guys

Return to Cinematography