about lens change

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mahesh989

about lens change

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 9:28 am

Hi
Can i change my lenses without ursa mini pro camera power button off.
Is there any issue arrive ?

Ben Price

Re: about lens change

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 1:11 am

I do it all the time. Never had issues with my URSA or any other camera in the past doing this. The only thing I really worry about is the exposure time on the sensor and the possibility for dust to fly in and dirty it up. With my Phantom, it actually has an internal shutter to cover the sensor if needed. Most other crews that I've worked with (typically using REDs) also don't power off the camera when swapping lenses. I would think you'd be fine.
URSA 12K, DR Studio 17, SmartView 4K, SmartScope Duo 4K, VideoAssist 4K, Decklink 4K Extreme, Hyperdeck Shuttle II, MacPro (cylinder) 10.15.7, 128GB RAM, 12-core, D500, 12TB RAID5 USB, 36TB RAID5 mini-SAS

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 am

I'm not aware of any camera that has issues with a lens change while the camera is on. You're safe.

On a different note. I'd love for lens changes to automatically change the shot letter in metadata. Weird request probably, but if you think about it there's a level of logic to it. If you change the lens you change the shot. So wouldn't it be nice if the camera automatically changed the shot letter/number. I go off letters because that's the standard I was brought up on.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 6:33 pm

i usually prefer to change lenses with power off.
if you use active adapter for lenses is better to have turned off camera or you risk to have some strange working.
we are lucky, the boot of bmd cameras is fast.

jonstatt

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 8:07 am

Nikon Z cameras work fine for hot lens changes but not recommended as when the sensor is active it apparently increases the static charge and dust is more likely to settle. BMD cameras shouldn't suffer with this I guess due to the glass behind the lens mount.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 11:30 am

While Canon R cameras close the shutter to protect the sensor when switched off.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robert Hart

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 pm

I regret I disagree with hot-swapping lenses. Whilst there may be minimal risk, there is always that remote chance that the lens control circuit catches some power or a load it shouldn't and bricks the camera.

The opposing risk of course is that the one powerdown and restart changing lenses was that last one the camera was going to give you before it laid down in forever sleep and it leaves you stranded on a job it might have completed if you hadn't messed with it.

Life is a big gamble isn't it. You can see a camera being ridden into the ground, skin and hair off it everywhere and it keeps on kicking. Yet another which has been a hangar queen, pristine and lovingly cared for, does a die when it comes out into the light of day to do something useful.

Return to Cinematography