recording two levels from the same mic (for protection)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thewheel

recording two levels from the same mic (for protection)

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:01 pm

Hello forum members:
I wanted to record the same mic source, making one channel the hottest it can be, and sending the same source to channel 2, but with a pad on this channel to protect from clipping. But as soon as I give the 2 channels the same source (in this case, XLR w Phantom), the input gains are locked in unison and the 6K and 4K pocket will not allow me to unlink them.
What am I doing wrong? I considered that BLD might not offer this feature but I find that unthinkable because it is so essential to have that kind of protection when recording audio.
Any solutions to this?

Mike

Jamie LeJeune

Re: recording two levels from the same mic (for protection)

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:07 pm

www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

thewheel

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Jamie, is that feature only good on the Ursas? I am going to buy an Ursa, but right now I only have the 6 and 4K. I don't see a backup option. If there is none, this is so strange and disappointing as it seems like it would be an obvious feature with no real engineering obstacles for doing it.

Mike

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Yup. Only on the Ursa.

I’d recommend recording second system audio anyway, regardless of the camera. The internal pre-amp on any camera is never going to be as good as the pre-amp in a proper audio recorder.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Howard Roll

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 am

On the Pockets there is only one mic level pre, it’s clipped or it’s not, how it could be both?

Good Luck

thewheel

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 am

Howard Roll wrote:On the Pockets there is only one mic level pre, it’s clipped or it’s not, how it could be both?

Good Luck

thanks. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I have in the past used a mono external preamp, and have padded one signal going to the left, with a louder one going to the right channel in the camera. I am thinking that the channel level in the 6k is how loudly the analogue signal/preamp is allowed to be recorded digitally, with the clipping happening after the channel adjustments to the preamp, not before. It sounds like I am fundamentally misunderstanding where the level adjustments are made in the chain from mic to preamp to digital signal.

Return to Cinematography