Smallrig V Mount Plate with Camera and Nucleus M

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RWSD-sound

Smallrig V Mount Plate with Camera and Nucleus M

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi All,

I received my BMPCC 6k Pro a month or so ago. It's my first cinema camera since a Panasonic DVX-100 I had years ago.

I've read about the ground loop risk when powering a monitor and camera via the same V mount battery. From what I've gathered, it seems this isn't really an issue as long as everything is plugged in first before powering on (my V mount plate has an on/off switch). I have a Nucleus M system coming in tomorrow and want to make sure I set it up in a safe manner.

I have a Smallrig 3204 V Mount Plate, which only has one D-Tap output. It also has a USB port, as well as three DC ports (one 8v and two 12v). I'm just trying to sort the best way to go about it. I don't have an external monitor at present, so don't know whether the ground loop is still a concern without any HDMI ports involved? It's been way too long since I've thought about circuits, so I don't understand the science well.

So, I'm seeking feedback on whether I should:

1) get D-Tap splitter and power the camera and focus motor from these ports
2) get the Tilta DC to 7 pin lemo cable, to power the motor from the plate's 8 volt output
3) or do something else? I know that the Tilta V-mount plate has multiple D-tap ports (not sure if this would function any different than a splitter, beyond the ergonomics being more streamlined), but it was almost twice as expensive, more limited in how the plate could be positioned, and doesn't have an on/off switch)

I'm new to this sort of rigging and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. At some point, I will have an external monitor, so I can watch myself when shooting my little Instagram music videos, so will need to power that from either a D-Tap splitter or the DC output if possible.

Thanks!

Return to Cinematography