Latest Bond Film - Chromatic Aberration?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Latest Bond Film - Chromatic Aberration?

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 am

I had a chance to visit the cinema this week to watch the latest Bond film "No Time To Die". It was so obvious to me that there were chromatic aberration on some of the shots, or could it just be a projectionist issue. Anyway, it was distinguishable on the edges of Bond's shoulder and other places in red. I don't have nor can post any of the clips to show it but I wonder if others have noticed it as well.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Bromine 18

Re: Latest Bond Film - Chromatic Aberration?

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am

Kim Janson wrote:I have not seen the latest Bond yet, but was wondering a different lens imperfection on Hercule Poirot, glowing erect like some oil on the lens and that was quite systematic on many of them so was wondering if they did that on purpose, or it just took long to notice a lens that needs cleaning.

This would have been difficult to fix on editing phase, but CA should be pretty easy to fix?

That’s most likely the effect of a lenslet or net-type diffusion filter.

I personally find it an appealing style; something to be induced as opposed to be jettisoned.

They used to use it quite widely and in heavy densities in film and television in the past, and it’s unlikely they’d be looking to fix it Poirot.

Janusz Kamiński’s use of Classic Softs and net diffusion is legendary, and I find myself often attempting to replicate it, along with his lighting style and camera moves.

By extension, I’m not sure whether the CAs and other lens imperfections get as much of significance in major films, as they do in other cinematography circles, to be focused on and gotten rid of.

From what I’ve read, Cary Joji Fukunaga is a huge admirer of all things film, right from the colors of reversal film to IMAX. So I have an inkling that he and Linus Sandgren were purposeful in their use of every little lens effect you may see onscreen in the new Bond film.

Gary Stanford

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Back in the early 80's, having watched the newly released John Carpenter's Escape from New York (in a decent cinema), was blown away by how sharp it seemed.

I'm not certain why I felt this, having these days, realised that a centrally sharp image with peripheral colour fringing, although optically imperfect, is inexplicably evocative of the illusion of optical sharpness. Perhaps it's an association with mid century binoculars and prepubescent voyeurism. ;)

In any case, I am yet to see the new Bond film, but, to this day, I lust for the illusion of eye slicing sharpness (although paradoxically, I hate the look of 4k).
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

timbutt2

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 am

Chromatic aberration happens to be in a lot of films. Especially older films with older more classic lenses. It's often been a property of film along with halation, and they kind of go together for a classic look. Film simply had better rolloff for CA. Digital it becomes more harsh, especially with sharper lenses.

This is partly why APO lenses are becoming a new part of lens manufacturing.

The new Bond "No Time to Die" was shot on film. So there could be a mixture of halation and/or chromatic aberration.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 am

The g series anamorphic lenses used were tuned by Dan Sasaki of panavision and had their coatings changed to replicate the red Len’s flares of E.T (non anamorphic)- anamorphic lenses by their nature have inherent astigmatism so it’s probably a mixture of the two.

Either way it’s most likely a look they were after

Bromine 18

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 10:49 am

Because we’re on lens imperfections, anamorphic lenses, and John Carpenter, anyone know of which series this ellipse-shaped flare is a characteristic?

TT lens flare.jpg
TT lens flare.jpg (361.43 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Dean Cundey used C- and E-series anamorphics for filming The Thing, but those flares are specific to only one series, and I can’t pinpoint which. I think I have also seen them in Die Hard.

I personally have a preference for spherical lenses over anamorphic, but I do admit – and this is likely the mere-exposure effect talking – those elliptic lens flares of light sources, with the blue horizontal streak, are awesome.

Those specific lens flares, curvilinear barrel distortion, and field curvature would be great in a spherical lens series, and I hope some major cinematographer out there develops them with Panavision or Arri.

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:17 pm

If I had to guess I’d say it was a c series, but if you want to be sure ask in the Lens forum on cinematography.com , a panavision camera and lens tech posts there and is usually extremely helpful

Jack Fairley

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 12:11 am

Ellory Yu wrote:other places in red

Sounds like halation to me, which I noticed big time when watching.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Ellory Yu

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:other places in red

Sounds like halation to me, which I noticed big time when watching.

It could be due to being shot on film. However it was more like this (example picture because I don't have a screen grab of it) and less than typical halation on things like light flares, etc. One obvious shot was when Bond met M outside by the waterfront. You can see them reds on the shoulder of Bond's jacket.
ca1.jpg
ca1.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 986 times
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography