Plug-in power at the Mic input on the BMPC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

focuspulling

Plug-in power at the Mic input on the BMPC?

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 pm

This is a long-shot, but please don't just answer with your guess on likelihood: Does anyone know for certain that the microphone input jack on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera lacks plug-in power? An ideal stereo boom mic just hit the streets today, and its design skimps on including a battery compartment:

Tascam TM-2X: http://bhpho.to/tm-2x
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Rakesh Malik

Re: Plug-in power at the Mic input on the BMPC?

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 pm

It doesn't have phantom power. You'll need a powered mic or a preamp to power it.

That said, you'll need a preamp or powered mic anyway, without it the sound on any Black Magic camera is crap. With it it's a crap shoot, but if you know what you're doing you CAN get decent sound with it. It's more trouble than it's worth due to the combination of the existing sound bugs on the camera and mediocrity of their recording system anyway, it's nothing to write home about. We don't get these cameras to double as sound recorders, after all.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

focuspulling

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Tamerlin wrote:It doesn't have phantom power. You'll need a powered mic or a preamp to power it.

That said, you'll need a preamp or powered mic anyway, without it the sound on any Black Magic camera is crap. With it it's a crap shoot, but if you know what you're doing you CAN get decent sound with it. It's more trouble than it's worth due to the combination of the existing sound bugs on the camera and mediocrity of their recording system anyway, it's nothing to write home about. We don't get these cameras to double as sound recorders, after all.

Again, I was hoping for more than first-glance reactions. This has nothing to do with phantom power. Plug-in power is a totally different technology (and range of parameters) than phantom power.

Steve Wake

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:41 pm

The Pocket does not have plug-in power. And yes, I know the difference. People (some without knowing) have tried mics that require plug-in power and they do not work, or deliver an inaudible signal. Also, if the mic input was powered I'm sure it would be listed in the specs. And if BM was providing a consumer power standard (plugin) and not a pro standard (phantom) I'm sure there would be a thread 20 pages long complaining about it.

focuspulling

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Steve Wake wrote:The Pocket does not have plug-in power. And yes, I know the difference. People (some without knowing) have tried mics that require plug-in power and they do not work, or deliver an inaudible signal. Also, if the mic input was powered I'm sure it would be listed in the specs. And if BM was providing a consumer power standard (plugin) and not a pro standard (phantom) I'm sure there would be a thread 20 pages long complaining about it.

Tamerlin didn't know the difference.

Your analysis sounds anecdotal and speculative, but I'll believe you.

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:58 pm

focuspulling wrote:Tamerlin didn't know the difference.

Force of habit. The rest is spot on, based on using the cameras. They're not consumer cameras though, in any way other than their price tag.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography