Correct Audio Patch Cable for Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Patrick Finnegan

Correct Audio Patch Cable for Pocket Cinema Camera

PostFri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 pm

I am confused about what would be the correct audio patch cable for the pocket camera. I am routing my audio from my shotgun mic to a ART usb preamp which provides phantom power to the mic and XLR inputs. It has 1/4" TRS balanced outputs (left and right) which I then want to patch into the 3.5mm stereo plug needed for the pocket camera.

For my BMCC MFT camera I use two of these patch cables, one for each channel. They each have two black bands on the tips for balanced output and input.

$(KGrHqR,!qgFGekSJ-HnBRnpMwQgew~~60_12.JPG
BMCC MFT cable
$(KGrHqR,!qgFGekSJ-HnBRnpMwQgew~~60_12.JPG (23.16 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

I have been searching for a similar Dual 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm Y cable for the pocket camera but so far, have only been able to track down one with a single black bands on the 1/4" plugs which is designed for outputting from the juicelink preamp's 3.5mm output to the 1/4' trs input on the cinema camera. My concern is this means they are not carrying a balanced output signal from my preamp. Or would this cable work?

What have other people found for their audio patch cables for the pocket cameras? I would prefer a slightly longer cable and one that was coiled if I could find it. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

$T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQUJ(BRLQI9d(bw~~60_1.JPG
juicelink patch
$T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQUJ(BRLQI9d(bw~~60_1.JPG (15.6 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

$(KGrHqJHJBQFEf)zot4YBRLQI-(BEw~~60_1.JPG
juicelink close up
$(KGrHqJHJBQFEf)zot4YBRLQI-(BEw~~60_1.JPG (22.55 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

leepatterson

Re: Correct Audio Patch Cable for Pocket Cinema Camera

PostFri Nov 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi, I have the same Art USB Dual Pre. My understanding is that the balanced TRS 1/4" outputs are for longer cable runs (up to 60'). Both the outputs on the rear of the Art are balanced and would ideally be going directly to powered monitors/power amp or mixing desk. Given that the BMPCC has a stereo-in for the external mic, I would have thought that the Headphone monitor-out of the Art would be a better feed for the BMPCC. I don't think it can discriminate the balanced signals from the two sources, I think it would just sum them.
I think that we will be mixing on the Art and sending that pre-mixed output to the BMPCC. I'd love to be wrong!:)
BTW, I have usually used the USB-out of the Art to an iPad or iPhone for location recording using Multitrack DAW or Rode REC and set up two channels at 16/48 for film work and 24/96 for audio only. All from a 9V battery sending phantom power to good quality condensers! Probably my favourite bit of kit in the last few years:)

Chris Hocking

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 1:15 am

The pocket camera has a single 3.5mm stereo UNBALANCED audio input - therefore there's no way to get a balanced signal from your preamp to the camera.

You can't really tell if a cable will work based on photos - it really depends on how it's wired.

If you're case you basically just want 2 x Balanced Jack to 1 x Unbalanced Stereo Mini-Jack. Your local music shop or audio supplier should be able to help.

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 5:22 pm

thank you both for your input
Chris, I didn't realized the 3.5mm was unbalanced...I will investigate the appropriate cable
I wonder if anyone else has already gone down this road and found one?

Lee, I will also try the monitor output and see what that gives me
I also like the handy use of the ipad or iphone...since that is the one piece of gear we all seem to have in our kits no matter what!
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Richard Carlson

PostSat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

I have the Art Preamp as per first post and think it is an excellent piece of kit for $AU 110.
I am using a cable similar to the Juicedlink in the lower photo which I picked up in a local music shop. Length was around 3 metres and around $30 I think. Using a Rode NTG2 mic and with the Art set to +40 and Phantom power turned "on" I am getting substantially better audio than from the built in mic unbalanced or not. I know it is not scientific and is a matter of guesswork for the settings but at least I am getting a acceptable result. I intend to try feeding from the preamp into the Ninja2 next as this has audio metering and compare results as well. Once I have a suitable lead I will also try the headphone out on the Art to feed into the BMPCC and see how it compares and report back.
Attachments
HPC-019_2m.jpg
Swamp Industries 2m Cable
HPC-019_2m.jpg (75.4 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Richard Carlson
BMPCC, BMPCC 4K
GH3,GH4,A7S,6D,LX100

Patrick Finnegan

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 6:26 am

manila57 wrote:I have the Art Preamp as per first post and think it is an excellent piece of kit for $AU 110.
I am using a cable similar to the Juicedlink in the lower photo which I picked up in a local music shop. Length was around 3 metres and around $30 I think. Using a Rode NTG2 mic and with the Art set to +40 and Phantom power turned "on" I am getting substantially better audio than from the built in mic unbalanced or not. I know it is not scientific and is a matter of guesswork for the settings but at least I am getting a acceptable result. I intend to try feeding from the preamp into the Ninja2 next as this has audio metering and compare results as well. Once I have a suitable lead I will also try the headphone out on the Art to feed into the BMPCC and see how it compares and report back.

thanks for sharing this info...particularly on your settings
I am looking for the cable
Look forward to hearing the update when you test the headphone out
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

leepatterson

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 am

manila57 wrote:I have the Art Preamp as per first post and think it is an excellent piece of kit for $AU 110.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. I have the Atomos Ninja2 also but I assumed that the feed over HDMI was delivering the audio from Camera (whatever that happened to be; onboard or external) and over-riding the Atomos audio connectors. I am recording a Band tomorrow with all the gear so I'll do some experimenting.

Return to Cinematography