Frequently Asked Audio Questions - Updated 18th Aug 2016

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

balazer

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Audio (Updated: 25/06/14)

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:Does the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera provide Plug-in Microphone Power?
No, it does not. This means microphones such as the Tascam TM-2X Stereo XY Condenser DSLR Microphone will not work.
I don't know where you got this information.

My Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is most definitely supplying plug-in power of 2.5 V on the mic port when Ch 1 and 2 are set to "mic" in the menus. It works with the Tascam TM-2X, which I also have.

Chris Hocking

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Audio (Updated: 21/08/14)

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 am

balazer wrote:I don't know where you got this information.

When we first received our Pocket (which was very early on), it definitely didn't work. They must have fixed it in a firmware update somewhere along the lines. Our Pocket is currently overseas, so I can't test it first hand, however I've updated the original post. Thanks for pointing it out!

Robert Niessner

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 5:06 am

FYI: Beachtek did some tests with firmware 1.8:
http://beachtek.com/audio-changes-firmw ... c-cameras/

I did some tests with firmware 1.9.3 on my BMCC, Tascam DR60D and Rode NTG3.
I also used Chris' audio test file played from the DR60 and fed to the camera.
For feeding out the signal I used the line out and the camera out of the DR60.

This is what I found:
Recording in the camera with line in gives pretty good audio, but the line out of the DR60 can't be cranked up enough for best s/n ratio. Line in has only a weak filtering of low frequencies going on and sounds pretty rich.
The camera set to mic in has a stronger filtering of low frequencies and sounds thin, but not that bad as with firmware before 1.8. However I would avoid mic in until this has been corrected by BMD.

In one test I accidentally forgot to change the camera from mic in to line in, but fed line out from the Tascam. I got pretty distorted signal, but the camera did not switch automatically to line in like in earlier firmware.
Can someone confirm this change in behavior?

I will post some screenshots later.
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Phil Vardalos

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Juiced Link BMC388 vs. SD Mix Pre D for use with a BMCC & Firmware 1.9.3

To get the very best audio out of my BMCC using Firmware 1.9.3 and microphones including a Sennheiser EW100 G3 wireless system, a Sennheiser MKH60 and a Electro Voice RE50, should I buy a Juiced Link BMC388 or a Mix Pre-D?

I know that I’ll need some pre-amplification for most microphones and want to be sure the device I chose would have enough to handle all the ones I have noted above.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

TheMixPre-D is the best, also more versatile with its outputs. You can feed camera and an external recorder at the same time, superior mic preamps.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Subrata Senn

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Audio (Updated: 17/Oct/14)

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Would be grateful if someone can give me an idea how to record proper sound through Tascam DR 60D into my BMPC 4K.

Using Tascam DR 60D, Rode NTG2.

This is what I've tried:

Even after setting up the gain to Mid, sending signal to BMPC through stereo mini jack camera out and using http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... le_to.html

I find the signal quite low. Am using 10 camera out level, adjusting the pre-amp in the recorder to -12 DB level in the recorder.

Where am I going wrong?
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Lee Gauthier

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Where am I going wrong?

You probably checked this, but the BMD4k expects a balanced (TRS) 1/4" lead connected to the balanced output of the 60D. If you used an unbalanced output, or an unbalanced lead,you'll experience a signal drop (-6db?) .

You can get a balanced TRS mini-jack to balanced TRS 1/4" plug lead at amazon.

Subrata Senn

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:
Where am I going wrong?

You probably checked this, but the BMD4k expects a balanced (TRS) 1/4" lead connected to the balanced output of the 60D. If you used an unbalanced output, or an unbalanced lead,you'll experience a signal drop (-6db?) .

You can get a balanced TRS mini-jack to balanced TRS 1/4" plug lead at amazon.

I know that BMPC4K expects a balanced output. I am sending that through the Hosa mini-Jack to balanced TRS 1/4" plug lead. These are the same as advertised in Amazon, only problem is Amazon doesn't ship the stuff to India. So I had to get them from B and H.

Now what?

I have a few other questions.

1. How do I know that the audio that is being sent in through TRS lead(s) is "balanced" or not?
2. If I use my NTG 2 microphone XRL to TRS direcly to BMPC, why is the recorded sound low again?
3. If I am using Line Out from DR 60D to BMPC and using the "line in" instead of "mic" in the camera why is the sound even lower?
4. Why does the headphone sound set at 80 sound right, even though the sound recorded in camera is low?

Answers?
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Ben Marchal

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Audio (Updated: 21/Nov/14)

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 10:20 am

Chris Hocking wrote:How do I monitor levels on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera?
Currently, the only way to monitor levels on the BMPCC is to monitor the embedded audio coming off the HDMI port. The HDMI signal contains Stereo 48kHz 24bit audio.

Have you considered updating this entry to reference the audio levels in the latest firmwares?

Chris Hocking

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Audio (Updated: 27/Nov/14)

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Ben Marchal wrote:Have you considered updating this entry to reference the audio levels in the latest firmwares?

Thanks for the reminder Ben! I've updated the original post.

Mark Georgeff

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm

FEB 25 2015

Have the BMCC with EF MOUNT; some CANON LENSES...everything's been looking very sharp, even before I get my new MAC PRO TOWER in to put on my DAVINCI COLOR CORRECT, but, here's the problem and it's AUDIO:

1) BMCC 2.5 K CAM was in a cage on a tripod. No external MIC for now, so everything's recording off iNTERNAL 'MONO" MIC.

2) Studio set crew member was pulling cable; accidentally pulled it into tripd legs and sent tripod to the floor -- which I did not see, but heard.

Crew members who saw it, told me the Crew grabbed cables in time to stop a hard smash...it still hit the floor; probably on its side. No broken pieces, no cracks in camera body.

3) Think the cage and BM'S sturdy design pretty much saved the camera,
except for -- what SOUNDS like STATIC, but "non-interrupted"bits and pieces of CONSISTENTLY SOUNDING STATIC.

4) Get it both when I set SOUND RECORD on LINE and MIKE.

CURRENT STEPS TAKEN / SOLUTIONS:

1) I talked with BLACKMAGIC SUPPORT and their REPLY is that that SOUND
will be there until I get rid of it in POST with the AUDITION audio software

2) I'm checking the FAN today.

3) I shot some 30 fos VIDEO PRO RES test footage w/talent and we'll check if that STATIC SOUND actually translates over after I download SD CARD to my current MAC PRO TOWER

Any replies from AUDIO WIZARDS would be cool.

MARK11

Chris Hocking

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 2:49 am

Mark Georgeff wrote:Any replies from AUDIO WIZARDS would be cool.

What's your question? Sounds like your internal microphone was damaged in the fall. You should send it back to Blackmagic for repair.

Mark Georgeff

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm

YEAH...that's what I was thinking -- internal microphone was damaged.

Looked at footage yesterday on my MAC in FCP and QUICKTIME (after I posted) and heard same STATIC, just at a lower sound level.

State Dept. I work for w/BMCC is really bad w/handling paper work on warranties.

So...I know for a fact, they never sent off the warranty paper work and it's been over 1 year anyway.
They are such a messed up department that they'd rather see this camera sit on the shelf, than pay a lousy couple hundred bucks to have it fixed correctly by BMDESIGN.

I just thought I'd get some OPS about the problem.

MAJOR MOJO to you!

Brian Higgins

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 5:17 pm

I have been using the Rode VideoMic Pro with the +20dB setting which worked fine until I just upgraded to the latest firmware 2.1

Is anyone else having issues and using the latest firmware, or is using the Rode VMP successfully? what firmeare version are you using?

Thanks

Brian

johnmahoney

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 6:10 pm

I think I have an intermittent phase issue: Is it possible that my camera is occasionally not inverting balanced audio?

"but at the input stage the inversion is reversed before being merged together, so they actually combine to form a stronger signal."

JuanMNavedo

Re: Frequently Asked Audio Questions - Updated 18th Aug 2016

PostFri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm

I know this is an old thread but I would like to hook my Zoom H4n Pro to my BMPCC 6k Pro so I can use my Rode NTG2 Mic. Can someone please advise me on how to get this done? Do I even need a microphone attenuator cable? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Resolve Studio 17.4.1 build 4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT (Soon RTX 3090)
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra
RAM: 80GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3200MHz
SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus M.2 NVME 1TB
Previous

Return to Cinematography