Which adapter should I get for Canon Glass on the Pocket?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SammyB

Which adapter should I get for Canon Glass on the Pocket?

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 4:23 am

Hey, super keen on buying the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera but I'm not sure which adapter to buy for it. All my glass is Canon, I'll hopefully be using my 85mm and 16-35mm on it.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on an adapter but I'd love to see all my options and which ones you guys like best.

Also would I be better of getting a lens that can go on the mount? Would love suggestions (:

Thanks!

Sprocket Scientist

Re: Which adapter should I get for Canon Glass on the Pocket

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 5:22 am

I've been looking into this too, there are not many options to connect your Canon EF glass to m43 unfortunately.

As I understand it, you have only two options:

(i) non-active 'dummy' adapter ($10 to $60) - you can connect your EF lenses but you will have to shoot wide open by default and will have no control over aperture. You will also have no autofocus (which is fine by me, personally) or IS.

(ii) an active adapter ($600+) - for example the Redrock Micro active adapter which will allow you to control aperture but as I understand it, still no autofocus. I think there is no IS either but someone else will have to confirm that.

Metabones is releasing an EF to m43 adapter at some point which will make your EF lenses behave faster and wider lens but I don't think it's going to be an active adapter, giving you no control over aperture, autofocus or IS.

Happy for anyone to correct me if I've got anything wrong!

SammyB

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 5:30 am

That sucks :/ If I do end up buying one I'll probably get a nice prime that can go on that mount then. Thank's for the response!

Paul Kapp

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 7:13 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:Metabones is releasing an EF to m43 adapter at some point which will make your EF lenses behave faster and wider lens but I don't think it's going to be an active adapter, giving you no control over aperture, autofocus or IS.
Happy for anyone to correct me if I've got anything wrong!

My understanding is that the EF-MFT Speedbooster will be an active adapter.
http://www.43rumors.com/ef-to-mft-speed ... in-august/
Not sure how well it will work with the Pocket.

http://www.43rumors.com/speed-booster-e ... e-delayed/
The reason for the delay, I believe, is the difficulty of getting EF electronics to communicate to M43s.
It has been done for other mounts and should soon be available for MFT.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 7:22 am

That is awesome news! I would put a deposit on this adapter today if it's active and it does everything else that the Metabones adapters do.

Jace Ross

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 am

Is there a passive adapter with aperture control? Wouldn't mind trying EF glass on the pocket.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Paul Kapp

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:That is awesome news! I would put a deposit on this adapter today if it's active and it does everything else that the Metabones adapters do.

Yea!
There's a lot of us waiting on this.

Paul Kapp

PostSun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 am

Jace Ross wrote:Is there a passive adapter with aperture control? Wouldn't mind trying EF glass on the pocket.

Oops.
With aperture control.

Return to Cinematography