LANC communication

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Overlander

LANC communication

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 pm

This likely sounds like a real low-level problem or request, but, not for me. Maybe someone has a solution or suggestion.
On my Ursa G2 I use a LanParte release on my tripod handle, with the cable to the rear Lanc input, as the left side on/off control is awkward to reach. I use a Lanc cable to go from my shoulder mount handle to the front right Lanc input. I also use a LanParte wireless release some times.
The 2.5mm cable makes nice firm click into the Lanparte releases but seems to just sit in the Ursa inputs, rear or right side, ie no final, reassuring click. Today I cannot get anything to work much at all unless I hold the cable(s) in. It is the type of situation where one would think of wrapping with foil, or plastic or even epoxy! But no I have not!
The questions are: is there another solution for a release; could my cables be substandard; is the Ursa port the issue; what am I doing wrong?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Richard Wright

Jamie LeJeune

Re: LANC communication

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 pm

The LANC ports on the URSA Mini body are a weak point for some reason.
Despite treating them with extreme care, I've have had to have them replaced on a couple of the previous model cameras. Putting them in and out of cases with the LANC cable connected is what killed one of them and I learned to always pull them out before putting back in the case.
I'd contact BMD support and see what they say.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Overlander

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Thanks Jamie;
Likely I grabbed the camera without disconnecting once too often.
I have no found a thread with a Google search. Evidently BM wants several hundred dollars so I may go with a DYI fix I found. Still thinking about it as I am a bit remote, and more so right now as all our roads south are washed out. Thanks for the help. Richard

Overlander

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 pm

Jamie;
Here, for the record, is what I found from a 2017 thread:
The port was starting to get loose on my mini 4.6k and not trigger the camera consistently. If you take off the side cover plate (6 screws) you can easily disconnect the small ribbon cable that goes to the SDI board and lanc port. The side cover, SDI board / lanc port all come off easily as one unit. With it off and after closer inspection, I was able to put a glob of hot melt glue around the top of the port on the inside which reinforced the cheap plastic port and secured it. Still a little loose but my start stop is working consistently again.

I've seen guys in the drone world use this trick to reinforce and protect soldered wires on control boards etc. Might want to try this before forking over a bunch of cash.
TRS sockets use bended spring to hold connector in place. Try to disassemble camera and look for some small holes around the lanc socket body. take a needle or very tiny screwdriver, push and bend that spring back to normal position.
Long time ago i fixed computer sound card socket that lost connection in similar way.
Also clean and wipe socket connector pins with isopropyl alcohol. Low voltage contacts are very sensitive to dirt and fat.
No one posted success so I will ask.
Richard

Overlander

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:10 am

I have heard from BM service. They suggest I ship it to them for inspection. While they offer to pay for shipping they will not make any estimate on the cost of repair. I know what is wrong. The Lanc ports are loose. So I would be without the camera for some weeks as shipping from here in B.C. is tricky right now due to many highways closed from flooding and washouts. And with no estimate I cannot figure whether it is worth shipping or try a repair myself. Right now I have fastened a Lanc cord as tightly as I can and changed the release until I decide, but, I am leaning toward home or local repair - as suggested above.

Return to Cinematography