Ursa G2 screen got broken after one year of using :(

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Arseny

Ursa G2 screen got broken after one year of using :(

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 10:50 pm

My main camera Ursa G2 has been working just fine for a year and about week ago screen just went black while I was doing commercial.. I restarted camera a couple times, read this forum - nothing helped.. SDI was still working so I managed to finish the shoot using external monitor. It was kind of hard to pull the focus but what you can do?

So I’ve sent my camera to Blackmagic warranty service in Bay Area and they replied to me today they confirmed issues with the screen and can fix it for 1615 dollars!!! It’s like 1/3 of new camera

Am I just out of luck or you can’t rely on blackmagic?! I’ve been using this camera carefully for a year and exactly a year and a month later it broke, like camera knew that warranty is over
URSA Mini Pro G2
Pocket 6K

rick.lang

Re: Ursa G2 screen got broken after one year of using [emoji

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 12:52 am

If you’re the original owner of the camera and you called them at the time it failed, I’m surprised they wouldn’t honour the warranty anyway at 13 months. I’m assuming you talked directly with BMD Support in your region. What region are you?
Rick Lang

Arseny

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:If you’re the original owner of the camera and you called them at the time it failed, I’m surprised they wouldn’t honour the warranty anyway at 13 months. I’m assuming you talked directly with BMD Support in your region. What region are you?

I live in Los Angeles.. Talked to the service center they said they don't provide extended warranty..
URSA Mini Pro G2
Pocket 6K

rick.lang

Ursa G2 screen got broken after one year of using [emoji20]

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear that. Your next move is a tough call.

I don’t know if the URSA Mini Pro G2 has features only found in that camera which you require; that would make the screen repair the best option in the long run but everyone would understand if you don’t take that option now especially as your camera’s reliability. Depending upon your current gear, shooting requirements, and future needs you anticipate, you could go with a new Pocket camera (if low light capabilities are important) or the URSA Broadcast G2 (with optional PL or EF mount) or the URSA Mini Pro 12K (if shooting BRAW is desirable and transcoding to ProRes in post is acceptable if needed).

What are your thoughts?
Rick Lang

John Brawley

Re: Ursa G2 screen got broken after one year of using :(

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 am

Arseny wrote:My main camera Ursa G2 has been working just fine for a year and about week ago screen just went black while I was doing commercial.. I restarted camera a couple times, read this forum - nothing helped.. SDI was still working so I managed to finish the shoot using external monitor. It was kind of hard to pull the focus but what you can do?

So I’ve sent my camera to Blackmagic warranty service in Bay Area and they replied to me today they confirmed issues with the screen and can fix it for 1615 dollars!!! It’s like 1/3 of new camera

Am I just out of luck or you can’t rely on blackmagic?! I’ve been using this camera carefully for a year and exactly a year and a month later it broke, like camera knew that warranty is over

If you're very close to a warranty like this I would ask for a little leeway with the service team. I'd be surprised if you didn't get some more help if you escalated this further with them.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 am

Again, the age old question why BMD does not sell extended warranty to their customers, or affiliate with a third party who sells extended warranty for them. Is their product breakable that they don’t see any ROI in providing warranties greater than 1 year? Do they have some info or knowledge? Curious.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robert Hart

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:51 am

There is considerable labour time involved in replacing the swing out screen. It is not just a case of taking it off but a lot of rummaging around inside the screen body and camera body as well. If the actual feed to the screen from within the camera mainboard is faulty, then that has to be entirely replaced. My guess is that BM is covering the worst likely scenario.

lee4ever

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Arseny thank you for posting this.
That is really annoying and then also so expensive. I was interested in buying the G2 but after reading this, I will not buy the G2.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:46 pm

In Europe for law the seller should support for 24 months the products, in other place are different, but … I think Blackmagic Design should add an optional warranty like applecare, that could be a additional source of money for them and at same times a good thing for customer like extended support.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm

lee4ever wrote:Arseny thank you for posting this.
That is really annoying and then also so expensive. I was interested in buying the G2 but after reading this, I will not buy the G2.

This is incidental and not the norm. The G2 is one camera that I have owned and can recommend.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography