Issue With a Clip

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

PaulHartWilden

Issue With a Clip

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 2:12 am

Got an issue I just noticed - fortunately it'd only one clip - so not a disaster.

As I was transferring footage I noticed that one clip on a card wouldn't play in Raw Player.
I then noticed that the icon for that specific clip was different form all the others (se attached screenshot)
It copied over form the T5 drive to my back-up drives but the clip will not open in Raw Player, nor will it import into Resolve.

I also went back to the camera and the clip won't even show up in the camera - it goes '...079' straight to '...081'.

Like I said, it's only one clip so I am probably good if it's not save-able - but I'd also love to know what might have caused it so I can avoid it in future or have a workaround in my pocket.

This is the first and only time it's happened (fortunately)

Any thoughts?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 5.16.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 5.16.35 PM.png (331.3 KiB) Viewed 450 times

carlomacchiavello

Re: Issue With a Clip

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 3:27 pm

May be that you format drive in ExFat?
I see that you read on Mac, but sometimes ExFat file system is weak than NTfs or Hfs+ and cause some strange corruption when you connect to win computer.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

PaulHartWilden

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 am

All drives were formatted on a MAC, I haven't used a PC in about 10 years or more now - and it's just this weird one clip out of 86 perfectly fine clips.

carlomacchiavello wrote:May be that you format drive in ExFat?
I see that you read on Mac, but sometimes ExFat file system is weak than NTfs or Hfs+ and cause some strange corruption when you connect to win computer.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Perhaps include a link to allow folks to download the single clip and take a look at it. Someone who knows more about the internal structure of the header data in a clip may be able to see what’s happening. BMD Support for BRAW should be interested given only one of many clips seems to be flawed.

However, it could even be a one-time glitch in recording the data made by the data management logic in the external recording device and not related to a camera fault.
Rick Lang

PaulHartWilden

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 8:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:Perhaps include a link to allow folks to download the single clip and take a look at it. Someone who knows more about the internal structure of the header data in a clip may be able to see what’s happening. BMD Support for BRAW should be interested given only one of many clips seems to be flawed.

However, it could even be a one-time glitch in recording the data made by the data management logic in the external recording device and not related to a camera fault.

my fingers are firmly crossed tat it's a one time issue - or at least never happens on something I don't have options for.

I did send the clip to BMD support - they couldn't access or recover it.

Because it was recorded using an external T5, essentially they can't do anything about it and suggest sending the clip to Samsung tech support to see if they can do anything with it.

If anyone else ever comes across this issue and has a workaround or finds a reason for it I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise it's just going to be consigned to the "Just One of Those Things" bin for now.

Return to Cinematography