Clips play slow motion. Don't match frame rate.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

animas3D

Clips play slow motion. Don't match frame rate.

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:33 pm

Hello,

I am going to put together a project for someone and received a bunch of clips from the person who shot them on what I believe is a Blackmagic camera (they are in BRaw format.

When I bring them into the editor, it informs me that the clips are 23.976. However when I play them back they play in what looks to be slow motion (although the audio plays back at normal speed then stops until the entire clip finishes playing).

Does anyone know what is going on or what would be a simple fix?

When I reinterpret the frame rate to a higher one it looks better (though the audio gets screwed up but that is okay since I am not using the audio). 60fps seems to look good. But It struck me that maybe it should be another frame rate such as 48 or something. If the fix is just to increase the frame rate, is 60fps the likely number I should use?

Thank you for your help.

Joe.

Uli Plank

Re: Clips play slow motion. Don't match frame rate.

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 am

They may have touched the wrong button when recording (HFR).
If your final result must be 23.97 progressive, keep the timeline at that, drop the film in and let DR fix it with one of the retiming methods (fast vs good).
But if your final delivery is interlaced, I'd reconsider that and keep the temporal resolution.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

bryantocara

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm

It seems like they had off-speed recording toggled on, which automatically conforms high frame rates to a set project frame rate in camera. It's useful when all you want to review is the slowed footage (and don't want to deal with the hassle of reinterpreting to a different frame rate later), not so useful as once it enters into a project and you want to see it realtime, it's a guessing game for the original recording frame rate. As I'm writing this, I vaguely remember a meta data field that can be viewed called "CAMERA Frame Rate" (not just "frame rate" or "FPS"). Use the meta data tab in the Media Page (in Resolve) and it should be under the "camera" group, I think. That might tell you exactly what the original frame rate was. If you are using Premiere or something else, check to reveal a field that says "camera frame rate" or something similar.

This is what I do in Resolve, so just a suggestion:

Alt/Opt drag all the said footage into a different media pool folder, this effectively creates two media pool instances using the same source file. Resolve will treat both instances separately, even though it's pointing to the same drive location.

With all the clips in the new group selected, use clip attributes to change to a higher frame rate, If you get the right one, the audio should line up perfectly when played back. If you can get in touch with the person who shot it, just ask them if they remember. But if the above meta data field exists (that I mentioned), then no need to guess or hunt down info.

Now you have a set of realtime + slowed footage; able to use whichever the situation calls for.

An extra step would be to change the clip color of the realtime clips (if you want to put them all back into the same media pool bin), and then, if not too much, manually change the clip name (not file name) of each file to add an "_REALTIME" as a suffix. That way, when you use the clips in the timelines, or if you use source tape in the Cut Page, there's a way to differentiate the clips at a glance, or group them by clip color if you only want to look at one group or the other.

All this I do in the Media Page, as I don't like to mess with re-timing controls in the Edit Page unless I'm keyframing speed ramps or something specific. I would basically have two possible starting points if ever creating a ramp, use the realtime clip then slow it down, or use the original off-speed clip and then speed it up. It doesn't really matter.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

MrHotter

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 2:48 pm

Like the others have said, that's either an intentional or accidental use of the High Frame Rate (HFR button) on a Blackmagic camera.

It should only be used on clips that are intended to be played back in slow motion.

I have my normal frame rate as 30 with 60 as my HFR option. The audio will always record in real time. If I end up needing to use the clip at standard speed I unlink the audio and then speed up my video by 200% to match them back up.

Most DSLR shooters are used to recording at a higher frame rate and the slowing the clip down in post. I prefer the HRF option so I can switch quickly and only use as much data as needed.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 1:26 am

What has been described above are valid solutions to save footage in a pinch. But please be aware that longer recordings can go out of sync. That's even true if HFR is set to the same speed as your project.
The placement of the HFR button on the Pocket's is a bit unfortunate.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

animas3D

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 4:46 am

Hi, I just checked this thread (it took a few days to appear on the forum).

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for writing and chiming in. I am writing this late on Saturday night, but I will try some stuff tomorrow, especially to see if I can't locate the original frame rate because if it is 60, then it seems that all I would need to do is reinterpret it from 23.976 to 60 and done.

However, what confuses me is why the frame rate of the clips is 23.976 and not 30.

Before I check tomorrow, can the camera shoot at 48 frame per second, or is it 60 and up.

At least if I know it is 60, I don't have to guess at what the frame rate should be.

Thanks again.

Joe.

animas3D

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 9:05 pm

bryantocara wrote:Use the meta data tab in the Media Page (in Resolve) and it should be under the "camera" group, I think. That might tell you exactly what the original frame rate was. If you are using Premiere or something else, check to reveal a field that says "camera frame rate" or something similar.

Thank you brayantocara! The camera frame rate was listed in the metadata and it says 48. That was very helpful. So I will just reinterpret it to that I guess.

I do have a follow up question if someone could help. If my timeline is set to 29.97, can I just drag it into the new timeline and will it look fine?

Thank you so much.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 am

If it'll look fine depends very much on content, motion and the chosen retiming process.
Nothing will save you from some experimenting, the settings are in your project under Master Settings all the way down to Frame Interpolation:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-19 um 08.42.36.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-19 um 08.42.36.png (35.6 KiB) Viewed 7805 times

Finally, there is Speed Warp under the individual settings in the Inspector (not available in the project settings for good reason). It can work wonders, but will be really slow if you don't have the fastest rig. I'd only use it if nothing else helps.

sophiatawil

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 7:50 pm

If you mistakenly shot your footage in "slow motion"...

go into premiere, increase your speed and duration (command R) by 250%. hopefully, you used a clapper so you can sync your added audio to the footage. for me, increasing the footage by this percentage made my audio synch up perfectly.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 6:29 am

Why Premiere?

Robert Niessner

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Why Premiere?

I guess because in the next posting that user will tell us that there is also a super duper video converter software to buy which could help.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

lyricsandbook

PostSun Aug 13, 2023 5:33 am

I just did this very thing and I wanted to offer a quick fix.

1 - Unlink video and audio.
2 - Scrub through your audio until you find the last sound before you stopped recording (hopefully you were capturing audio.
3 - Set the length/duration of your video to that endpoint. It'll have you within a 30th of a second in terms of syncing, which should be effective enough, especially with a longer clip.

LLE Designs

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 3:22 am

Thanks All,
With all your comments I was able to solve it based on my frame rate. Thought I would never fix it.
High end fundraiser and 15 piece band I have had sleepless nights!

As mentioned above from your posts...
The video frame rate was 29.970 playing very slow with perfect sound.

How I solved it.
1. Made a new timeline at 24 FPS
2. Drag video with High Frame Rate (slow motion video at 29.970 fps) onto track
3. Unlink video and audio
4. Click on "Change Clip Speed" from 100% to 200%
5. Perfect sync!!!

Took me bouncing from Premier back and forth to Davinci over 2 hours.
Solved in seconds.

Hope this helps you all

jonrob09

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 5:04 pm

Hey Gang,

Was able to find a fix on my front, however it was a little different compared to OP's fix.

Very Similar to OP's. Your mileage might vary based on the format. so take it with a grain of salt.

1. Made a new timeline at 24 FPS
2. Drag video with High Frame Rate (slow motion video at 29.970 fps) onto track
3. Unlink video and audio
4. Just selecting the Video file. Right Click -> Change Clip Speed -> Click on "Frames Per Second" and set it to 50
5. You should see your video clip shrink and audio clip still long. Shorten audio clip to video clip and Link again if required.

Happy Edits Everyone :D

Return to Cinematography