Lexar SD V90 - no raw??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

david evans

Lexar SD V90 - no raw??

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:41 am

Hey guys,

Just got a 64gb Lexar V90 II SDcard to be able to record in raw on my original bmpcc, but the card won't even record a single frame in raw. No problem in prores, but nothing in raw. Algo, sometimes I get the "no card" msg and I have to take the card out and reinsert it...

Ideas?

Thanks!

RaulAndres

Re: Lexar SD V90 - no raw??

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 2:24 am

From my understanding, the original Pocket has trouble reading newer SD cards, and there isn't a specific reason why some cards don't work. I used to own the original Pocket, and I never had any problems, but the person who I sold it to told me that it took him about 4 different SD cards to find one that finally worked.

But why buy a V90 card? V90 cards are UHS-II, but the original Pocket only supports UHS-I, so all that extra speed won't make a difference because the camera won't be able to utilize it. I think you are better off buying some older Sandisk UHS-I cards. Those are the ones I used, and I never ever had any dropped frames when recording in raw.

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 am

There is a whole long thread on top of this forum about this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Darko Djerich

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:52 am

Exchange it if you can for AngelBird V60
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU MBA M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Brad Hurley

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 11:34 am

Darko Djerich wrote:Exchange it if you can for AngelBird V60

Unless the situation has changed recently, you should email Angelbird first and specifically ask if they still have any of the SD cards that are compatible with the original Pocket. When I bought mine last year they said they had only a limited supply, but they may have been able to get more in stock by then.

The Angelbird cards are very expensive compared with the few other compatible options available today, but mine have been rock-solid reliable so far (compared with the cheap Kingston card I got that worked great for about eight months and then completely died).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

david evans

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Thanks guys. So what is the cheapest sd card that can record raw in the original bmpcc?

Brad Hurley

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 2:24 pm

david evans wrote:Thanks guys. So what is the cheapest sd card that can record raw in the original bmpcc?

Probably a used SanDisk card that met the original specifications. SD cards should last a very long time, so even a used one should be reliable.

If you go through the thread that Robert linked to above, you'll see lots of mixed reports of success recording CDNG raw on currently available cards; the only one for which I haven't seen any negative reports is the Angelbird card. Everything else seems to be hit or miss, with some people reporting success and others reporting dropped frames after a few minutes of recording.

Darko Djerich

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 6:21 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
Darko Djerich wrote:Exchange it if you can for AngelBird V60

Unless the situation has changed recently, you should email Angelbird first and specifically ask if they still have any of the SD cards that are compatible with the original Pocket. When I bought mine last year they said they had only a limited supply, but they may have been able to get more in stock by then.

The Angelbird cards are very expensive compared with the few other compatible options available today, but mine have been rock-solid reliable so far (compared with the cheap Kingston card I got that worked great for about eight months and then completely died).

I have purchased in November 2020 2 cards from AngelBird AV PRO Micro SD card II U 3 Class 10 V60 A1 280MB/s.
Reason for purchase is to use with drone EVO 2 PRO, had TVC shoot and wanted to film 4K/60.
Was not confident in v30 cards despite some saying it will work.
Tested a few different cards and chose AngelBird.
Now, few weeks later, after the shoot all went well and I never even put much thought about bmpcc at the time, I tested them and I can say they are absolutely great !!!
I can record as long as i need in RAW settings and still to have a dropped frame.
Absolutely amazing!
I have not tested SD card by AngelBird however, Micro SD card one I stated above is great.
Hope this helps.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU MBA M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

david evans

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am

I'm having no luck...

Just bought this Sandisk card:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07H9D ... UTF8&psc=1

And the bmpcc doesn't even recognize it. The only card the camera actually works well with is the old Sandisk I also bought with the camera but it drops frame when recording raw...

Shouldn't the Sandisk in the link above have worked?

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 am

david evans wrote:Shouldn't the Sandisk in the link above have worked?

As far as I know, none of the Sandisk cards currently on the market will be recognized by the camera, even if their specs appear to match or exceed the specs of the old cards. If you look at the thread that Robert linked to above, you'll see some discussion about how Sandisk changed the architecture of their cards in 2018. You'd need to find Sandisk cards that were manufactured in 2017 or earlier to be safe.

If you spend the money on the Angelbird cards (assuming they are still available; you'd need to ask Angelbird) you will have no problems. You can also spend time in the thread that Robert linked to and see if you can find any cheaper possibilities but they all seem to be hit-and-miss.

david evans

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 pm

I've spoken with Angelbird. Apparently their V60 128gb is the only sd that will work with pocket OG.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:38 pm

david evans wrote:I've spoken with Angelbird. Apparently their V60 128gb is the only sd that will work with pocket OG.

Yep, that's the one I got -- I bought two of them and they have been flawless. Expensive, but worth it if you want to shoot raw. Although as you have already discovered, Prores HQ is no slouch either and can be manipulated quite a bit in post, plus you'll have fewer problems with moire with Prores.

Return to Cinematography