Budget lens for BMPCC OG

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

OlegMush

Budget lens for BMPCC OG

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm

Hello
Please tell me what budget zoom lens to buy for BMPCC OG or fixed?
Thank you

Brad Hurley

Re: Budget lens for BMPCC OG

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 1:53 pm

I think you need to define "budget."

If you want native MFT-mount lenses you have quite a few choices for zooms, but the cheaper ones have variable minimum apertures as you zoom in and out, which isn't ideal.

For an all-around prime lens that's not too expensive but has good cinema-style ergonomics I'd vote for the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 hyperprime; it's available for reasonable prices used on eBay. On the original BMPCC this is equivalent to a roughly 30mm lens. It's soft and dreamy wide open, which many people like, and probably at its optically best around f4.

You can find cheaper photography lenses but they present a few problems in terms of things like focus breathing, stepped apertures, etc., and I really prefer manual-focus lenses on this camera. Focus-by-wire can be frustrating and not very accurate.

Lots of older and affordable photo lenses can be adapted to MFT, but you have to keep in mind the small sensor size of the original BMPCC: Super 16 is even smaller than MFT so your biggest challenge will be to find lenses that are wide enough.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

Re: Budget lens for BMPCC OG

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 am

Define Budget and your use.

The 12-35mm Panasonic MFT zoom works pretty well with it and has constant aperture.

And then, some old zooms made for S-16 will work, like the Angenieux 20-80mm, if you want to go fully manual. Careful, though, 16mm zooms will vignette, at least on the wide end. TV lenses made for 1" will work, but forget all the 2/3" stuff (and below).
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography