Studio Camera 4k Pro - Image Quality ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

quadjojo

Studio Camera 4k Pro - Image Quality ?

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 3:04 pm

Hi!
I was using a Sony A6600 with Sigma 16mm for my Studio (Virtual Production) and replaced the Camera with a BM Studio Camera 4k Pro. To have something to compare i ordered the same Sigma 16mm as MFT Lens for testing.

Well the Live-Picture of the Sony always seems "better" than the BM, more appealing.
First of all the BM was lacking Detail/Sharpness. I had to switch to "High Detail" to at least get into the Range of the Sony, but it is still not there. So the Sony maybe oversharpening things but im just used to the look?

Then there is a lot of Color Correction needed to also get in the Range of the Sony.
Both Cameras are set to Stock, so no additional Corrections or Image Profiles were used.

I assume the Sony is more Consumer oriented and has a more pleasing look out of the Box, like maybe a Smartphone Cam. But i am a bit disappointed with the Studio Cameras as a semi-pro Device to have so much to adjust to get there, well at least you can! But maybe im also doing things completely wrong.. thats why i post here :)

So, any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!
Toby

Derfla

Re: Studio Camera 4k Pro - Image Quality ?

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 4:52 pm

I have the Sony a6400 which is pretty much the same as the s6600 minus the IBIS, and the a6600 has ~4 more stops of dynamic range. I also have the Ursa Mini Pro G2. I like the a6400 video, but comparatively, the end result is too much like a "home video". Too sharp, movement is abrupt and not as smooth, overall, just not as "cinematic" as the G2. This is of course my personal opinion.

As a newbie, it did take me a while to realize that the Sony is basically photograph quality (it is a still camera after all). To me, that's nice for photographs, but doesn't translate to a more film-like or cinema look. The more I film with the G2, the more I realize that.

As a side note, I also own the Sigma 16mm f1.4 DC DN lens. It's amazing for the price, but to me it's more of a photography/vlogging lens. Although we can shoot video with any lens we want, I personally find that dedicated cinema lenses make a big difference. As a point of reference, search the Official "Look what I shot!" Thread. There are some very talented folks that use the 4.6 Pro / 4.6 Pro G2 and you can get an idea of what can be achieved with those cameras' vs the Sony a6600.

Perhaps you like more of the sharp home movie look? There is nothing wrong with that. Simply a personal preference. Personally, I find it much easier to color (Davinci Resolve), BD RAW than Sony S-Log3. My BD Raw work always come across as more dimensional and "film-like".

Not sure if that helped, but that has been my overall experience so far as a newbie / hobbyist.

quadjojo

Re: Studio Camera 4k Pro - Image Quality ?

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 8:32 am

Hey Al,
thanks for your reply.
Yes, I think it all comes down to personal preference.
Im still getting used to the new possibilities and am maybe am to used to the
setting I had before ;)
Toby

Return to Cinematography