DEAD BMCC EF...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Flat4

DEAD BMCC EF...

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 am

Had this camera for 4 months. Haven't shot with it much at all. Died on me yesterday mid shoot. Camera is officially bricked and frozen on that screen no matter what I do.

Darryl Gregory

Re: DEAD BMCC EF...

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 2:27 am

Welcome to BMD, We aim to produce Beta versions of "Untested" cameras, *****. ;)
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate/derogatory language for the forums

DavidJames

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:26 am

have you tried the thunderbolt and sdi output. Could be the screen. It has a warranty so you can send it back. Where did you get it from? One thing I love about my reseller is he always has a loaner of everything in case of this. It sucks, but it happens.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:34 am

Ya I tried everything. Nothing.. SDI, thunderbolt, usb, button mashing...

I'm done.. Over this camera and it's company. In the trash can it goes. I can't have this on set. Unpredictable, unreliable, very weak soldering on the 12V port, battery doesn't charge more than 50% now and holds charge for about 5 minutes, the camera shuts down at random, Iris jams up constantly.

I've taken really good care of this camera and it's caused me nothing but pain. I'm over it. too many issues for professional applications.

Good luck to all of you.

DavidJames

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 am

Just saw you are in Vancouver. Where did you get it from?.........and I might be up for another if its fixable
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:46 am

I'm sure its fixable, If you come to my house in east van you'll be able to grab it from the garbage bin out back. Even if I sent it in for repairs I would feel to guilty selling this camera to someone.. I feel bad already knowing people are shooting on these ticking time bombs.

DavidJames

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 4:18 am

what alley........I'm on it!
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Welcome to BMD, We aim to produce Beta versions of "Untested" cameras, with the quality control inspections by 12yr old Chinese children. ;)

Yep. Can't believe I paid 3k for this garbage.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 am

Well in the event that you actually don't send it in for repair ;) , any chance you could "crack it open" many of us ( or I at least ) have yet to see internals or the layout of the camera inside.

Sucks to see things like this happen.

DavidJames

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 6:30 am

I'd love to build a new box for it to fit the way most of us shoot. Monitor on the left, inputs on the right, etc.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 6:44 am

Flat4 wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Welcome to BMD, We aim to produce Beta versions of "Untested" cameras, with the quality control inspections by 12yr old Chinese children. ;)

As if this would be an exclusive BM thing - actually it happens to ALL companies.
On the Red forum - for example - they have several treads on sudden dead RED bodies.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... ity-Issue-)&highlight=epic+dead

Same can be found on Canon or Sony boards.

Same goes for car companies.
They all have enormous recalls sometimes, it's not even a camera thing.

Yes it sucks, but it happens. Just send it in, get it fixed, and get over it.

If you are on a expensive/important production, a second body is always mandatory, no mater which brand of camera you are shooting on.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Mark Wyatt

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 9:03 am

I feel your pain. This camera has been great for the most part but the reliability is simply not there. Sure you lose some shots due to certain circumstances but in the past few months this camera has killed some expensive ssd's. Might be time to sell and move on. Anyways, the camera delivers a fantastic image but makes me extremely nervous every time I use it. If this were a car, I would probably be pursuing some lemon laws.

Also, it never worked with the two canon L lenses I own - the canon 17-40mm and 70-200mm f4. To top it off they advertise on their site that it works with canon ef lenses with this picture. ps: i'm also in vancouver.
lens.JPG
lens.JPG (51.62 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
www.wyattvisuals.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:Well in the event that you actually don't send it in for repair ;) , any chance you could "crack it open" many of us ( or I at least ) have yet to see internals or the layout of the camera inside.

Sucks to see things like this happen.

I am actually very intersted in what details they used in production, and where they came from.
Intersting to look inside for sure.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

raadgie

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 am

Its hiden feature, silly, BMD implementation of audiometers. :lol:
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Christian Horne

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 am

Any balance here? Any body happy with their BMCC and using it in a production environment as I'm worried now about it's reliability, surely out of the thousands sold of these things these kind of issues would be more apparent?

Apo

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

Are there many bad experiences out there regarding reliability? ( Killing ssd's sounds scary).
I am about to use this camera as main camera for a two week trip, filming wildlife in a dusty warm environment.

This thread has me worrying a bit, if it can damage ssd's, I won't be buying a 1tb ssd.

I understand companies have recalls and updates to address issues and if it's just a few % of shipped items that have those problems it's just bad luck if you're one of them, but if there are serious design flaws it will affect many customers. I would think the forums would have a lot more of these topics if that was the case?

this is the first topic I read about issues, so I will look around a bit more and keep an eye on this one.

Robert Betzner

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 pm

We had to send our BMCC MFT back too.

All of a sudden we had a split screen where the upper half had a strange solarisation effect on it and the lower half reacted normal. We had the camera for 2 month.

We send the camera in (we had to pay for the shipping to BMD) and got a new camera back. I hope that this one will work a little longer.

Cheers

pro.
Attachments
FehlerBMCC_04102013.jpg
FehlerBMCC_04102013.jpg (196.63 KiB) Viewed 8363 times

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Yeah, contrary reports here.

I've been using the cameras since the release, MFT and EF, and have only had ONE early issue with an EF camera where the HD-SDI port stopped working. It wasn't my camera.

I've never had a single dropped frame, never had anything overheat, zero strange image anomalies.

From the start I've only used Sandisk 240gb SSDs (and keep telling people to STOP using other SSDs, even the 480, you should be using Sandisk 240s). Admittedly, I've dropped my MFT twice, my EF camera fell inside of a bag from a trunk when moving gear.

Still going strong, not a single problem with any of them. The EF is one year old, the MFTs are getting close.

To date, on various shoots and my own, I'm definitely over 40TB of captured RAW and ProRes footage together.

Just this last weekend I shot a pilot, no DIT, forgot batteries for my TVLogic so had to switch the Viewfactor IDX plate cable from the camera to the TV Logic in between shots to charge it... never had a dead camera from first shot at 7AM to last at 4PM. Never.

Didn't offload SSDs on location, waited until I got home and dropped hours of ProRes from each drive.

All files there.
Kholi Hicks

Loch Phillipps

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Wow, I am surprised to hear all this. I am using my BMCC as a run and gun doc camera, not what it was designed for. And it's worked well despite some less than gentle treatment. I'm still frustrated by some of the firmware based limitations of course, but the picture is nice and shooting natively in ProRes and DNxHD has been good for post flows. If they fix the audio, I'll be pretty damn happy.
Loch Phillipps

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

wyatt wrote:I feel your pain. This camera has been great for the most part but the reliability is simply not there. Sure you lose some shots due to certain circumstances but in the past few months this camera has killed some expensive ssd's. Might be time to sell and move on. Anyways, the camera delivers a fantastic image but makes me extremely nervous every time I use it. If this were a car, I would probably be pursuing some lemon laws.

Also, it never worked with the two canon L lenses I own - the canon 17-40mm and 70-200mm f4. To top it off they advertise on their site that it works with canon ef lenses with this picture. ps: i'm also in vancouver.
lens.JPG

This is hilarious, I never noticed that image before. I agree with you, when it works its great. But peace of mind is number one for me no matter how nice the image is. I decided to keep it and dissect it for fun. I'm never using this camera on another professional shoot not even the 4K, they lost my trust plain and simple. Just ordered a RED epic now. Should of done that right from the start.

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
Flat4 wrote:

As if this would be an exclusive BM thing - actually it happens to ALL companies.
On the Red forum - for example - they have several treads on sudden dead RED bodies.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... ity-Issue-)&highlight=epic+dead

Same can be found on Canon or Sony boards.

Same goes for car companies.
They all have enormous recalls sometimes, it's not even a camera thing.

Yes it sucks, but it happens. Just send it in, get it fixed, and get over it.

If you are on a expensive/important production, a second body is always mandatory, no mater which brand of camera you are shooting on.

It's not as simple as you think to just get it fixed and "get over it" Every time I'm out shooting very important content, interviews etc.. The only thing that floats in the back of my head is ok how long till my camera will stop rolling and crash. How long till my 12v power port starts malfunctioning, I hope my SSD's keep working. I never had this feeling with any other tool. I don't care if they send me a new camera the issues are still in there waiting to happen. Ticking time bomb.

This camera is not designed to be used on professional applications and I suggest that all of you keep this camera for personal use only.
Last edited by Flat4 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Kholi wrote:Yeah, contrary reports here.

I've been using the cameras since the release, MFT and EF, and have only had ONE early issue with an EF camera where the HD-SDI port stopped working. It wasn't my camera.

I've never had a single dropped frame, never had anything overheat, zero strange image anomalies.

From the start I've only used Sandisk 240gb SSDs (and keep telling people to STOP using other SSDs, even the 480, you should be using Sandisk 240s). Admittedly, I've dropped my MFT twice, my EF camera fell inside of a bag from a trunk when moving gear.

Still going strong, not a single problem with any of them. The EF is one year old, the MFTs are getting close.

To date, on various shoots and my own, I'm definitely over 40TB of captured RAW and ProRes footage together.

Just this last weekend I shot a pilot, no DIT, forgot batteries for my TVLogic so had to switch the Viewfactor IDX plate cable from the camera to the TV Logic in between shots to charge it... never had a dead camera from first shot at 7AM to last at 4PM. Never.

Didn't offload SSDs on location, waited until I got home and dropped hours of ProRes from each drive.

All files there.

The only SSD's I've used were the approved RAW 240GB Sandisk. They still crashed, it's a roll of the dice every time I go out.

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:44 pm

pro---studio wrote:We had to send our BMCC MFT back too.

All of a sudden we had a split screen where the upper half had a strange solarisation effect on it and the lower half reacted normal. We had the camera for 2 month.

We send the camera in (we had to pay for the shipping to BMD) and got a new camera back. I hope that this one will work a little longer.

Cheers

pro.

Ouch, that's terrible. I feel your pain. Good luck to you.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Flat4 wrote:

All files there.

The only SSD's I've used were the approved RAW 240GB Sandisk. They still crashed, it's a roll of the dice every time I go out.

Crashed in camera?

I've five Sandisk 240Gb SSDs, two of them are as old as the EF Camera and are pretty beat up, one is maybe two months short of those, the others are five months old.

Knocking on wood because the older ones have seen the most reformats, but still not a single issue with them. I also always use my Seagate USB3.0 Passport dock to offload everything, and have heard of many issues with various docks.

Anyway, not downplaying your troubles, hopefully it didn't seem that way. Someone asked for positive experiences and most of my own have been that.

Hope your next camera is much better, man.
Kholi Hicks

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Kholi wrote:
Flat4 wrote:

All files there.

Crashed in camera?

I've five Sandisk 240Gb SSDs, two of them are as old as the EF Camera and are pretty beat up, one is maybe two months short of those, the others are five months old.

Knocking on wood because the older ones have seen the most reformats, but still not a single issue with them. I also always use my Seagate USB3.0 Passport dock to offload everything, and have heard of many issues with various docks.

Anyway, not downplaying your troubles, hopefully it didn't seem that way. Someone asked for positive experiences and most of my own have been that.

Hope your next camera is much better, man.

Nice, Ya I've been using half of a usb passport dock to offload, never had problems transferring. Just lots of problems when the camera shuts down at random while recording. it seems to corrupt all files.

I feel bad sharing this negativity I've had to owners that never had problems. I wish I had a good camera to begin with :cry:

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
Flat4 wrote:

How about those Alexa XTs that shipped without working fans? Dead cameras.

I've rarely had an Epic shoot go smoothly, for one reason or another. Camera freezing during a shot, have to reboot and make sure we got the footage. Need to double check everything before formatting a certified SSD because of a strange frame issue.

One shoot we went clean through and didn't pick up on the left side of the image being shifted down one or two pixels until I went to DIT cart to glance, and noticed it. THE ENTIRE LEFT SIDE OF THE IMAGE. Unaligned.

We had to have a second body dropped off in secret. Covert corrections.

Client never noticed it, but we had to use the footage.

Camera are cameras, if you get one that's not having mechanical issues, then you're likely unsatisfied with the images.

If you've got one that has very few mechanical issues and has a great image, you've probably purchased an Alexa Studio. =P
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Flat4 wrote:
Nice, Ya I've been using half of a usb passport dock to offload, never had problems transferring. Just lots of problems when the camera shuts down at random while recording. it seems to corrupt all files.

I feel bad sharing this negativity I've had to owners that never had problems. I wish I had a good camera to begin with :cry:

Getting a bad SSD is not unheard of, I would've tried to troubleshoot that. That's kind of a price you pay for open-ended hardware, and the reason why RED and Panasonic, also Sony, have all created proprietary media for their cameras. Makes a lot of sense when you start to run into issues like that with off-the-shelf SSDs.

Confession number two: my first two SSds were used lol. I bought them used on Amazon for like twenty dollars cheaper because I wanted to save the 40-50 for food. Still kickin'.

I need to just keep a block of wood in my pocket so I can knock on it.
Kholi Hicks

Flat4

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Kholi wrote:

How about those Alexa XTs that shipped without working fans? Dead cameras.

I've rarely had an Epic shoot go smoothly, for one reason or another. Camera freezing during a shot, have to reboot and make sure we got the footage. Need to double check everything before formatting a certified SSD because of a strange frame issue.

One shoot we went clean through and didn't pick up on the left side of the image being shifted down one or two pixels until I went to DIT cart to glance, and noticed it. THE ENTIRE LEFT SIDE OF THE IMAGE. Unaligned.

We had to have a second body dropped off in secret. Covert corrections.

Client never noticed it, but we had to use the footage.

Camera are cameras, if you get one that's not having mechanical issues, then you're likely unsatisfied with the images.

If you've got one that has very few mechanical issues and has a great image, you've probably purchased an Alexa Studio. =P

Our classic Alexa never had a problem except for SUP 7.0 That completely ruined my shoot. But then again it was in Beta mode http://www.arridigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=7484.0

So far so good with the Epic. No problems... yet. Best reliable camera so far was the C300-C500.

Flat4

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:Welcome to BMD, We aim to produce Beta versions of "Untested" cameras, *****. ;)

Tony Rivera, I see you edited Darryl's post. How about you help me get my camera fixed instead?
Last edited by Flat4 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Weathersby

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm

There are always going to be issues with technology. Honestly i think they should extend the warranties in general but if you are going to toss it off because it had issues then you are going to be saying not to a lot of other cameras the second they malfunction.

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 12:36 am

The worst problem its when the garanty finish, blackmagic have not service repair............ :?

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 9:28 am

I'll +1 everying Kholi said as I've not had any problems with my BMCC EF except for my small firmware beefs (I want crop guides, a more accurate battery counter and a media counter). I also don't believe in luck.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Just curious if the "beta testers" responding to this thread are talking about production units that they purchased or not.

And would your NDA even allow you to even disclose issues or problems that you had with said devices...

Get over it..? I'll be sure to tell my clients that Frank, I'm sure theyd appreciate it as much as fellow purchasers of this camera do. Thanks for your warm and pleasant insight, once again, on the matter.

Flat4

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Just curious if the "beta testers" responding to this thread are talking about production units that they purchased or not.

And would your NDA even allow you to even disclose issues or problems that you had with said devices...

Get over it..? I'll be sure to tell my clients that Frank, I'm sure theyd appreciate it as much as fellow purchasers of this camera do. Thanks for your warm and pleasant insight, once again, on the matter.

I'd love to see Frank "get over it" when his camera shuts down mid-shoot. 3 times a day in front of clients.

John Christon

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 7:32 pm

I have an EF, MFT and 2 pockets. My studio mate has an MFT and a pocket as well.

All 6 of these are production line cameras, from various stages of production (early on, later on, etc).

Never 1 issue with any of them beyond dropped frames from using too slow a card, which the camera alerted us to.

I've shot for umpteenth hours on all of them, and who knows how many terabytes. I use Sandisk 240gb and Sandisk Extreme 64gb for the pocket.

I honestly even rarely power down my camera for lens changes even though I know I should. I do power down to swap media, never had had an issue with that either though.

So yeah, I think it's luck of the draw and I'll keep on knocking on wood, but these suckers are going strong for me.

My issues lie in other areas, such as firmware items and what not.

I should add that many of these have gone out on many rentals too and gotten wet, gotten kicked, gotten dropped, etc. Places where I would be terrified if a it happened to a Scarlet or Epic, and like I said, they're still alive and kicking. I've shot in rain and sand quite a bunch as well.

Aaron Scheiner

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I recently did a 2-week timelapse with one of my BMCCs and it didn't die :P .

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Flat4 wrote:
I'd love to see Frank "get over it" when his camera shuts down mid-shoot. 3 times a day in front of clients.

Theodore Prentice wrote:Get over it..? I'll be sure to tell my clients that Frank, I'm sure theyd appreciate it as much as fellow purchasers of this camera do. Thanks for your warm and pleasant insight, once again, on the matter.

I always bring a second body - never had to use it though (knock on wood) - something I cant say from shooting with Red cameras.

Let's say you would have bought an Epic, instead of a BMC, and the Epic shuts down in mid shot (had that more than once happen) - what would do you tell your client then?

"Sorry Sir, the camera shut down and I didn't care to bring a second body, but that's okay, cause it's an Epic"

Flat4

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:I always bring a second body - never had to use it though (knock on wood) - something I cant say from shooting with Red cameras.

Let's say you would have bought an Epic, instead of a BMC, and the Epic shuts down in mid shot (had that more than once happen) - what would do you tell your client then?

"Sorry Sir, the camera shut down and I didn't care to bring a second body, but that's okay, cause it's an Epic"

I don't understand your last line.

I've never had a dead Epic or Alexa but I've had this BMCC shutdown and brick itself 3 or so months after owning it with light use so that alone breaks the peace of mind. Also with it's major production flaws, this camera should not be used for any professional applications. Hell.. even my Bolex EBM told me how much time I had left in the mag. I always felt like I had to work around the camera to make it work. Always bringing a macbook with me to format the media alone is ridiculous when you're middle of nowhere. To those that like the rush and the roll of the dice feel when they hit record not knowing what's going to happen, this camera is perfect for you or in my case donating it to a local highschool video program is where it should belong.

I've decided to purchase an epic soon after my complete frustration with this inadequate so called "cinema camera" I can already see the bright horizon ahead, the peace of mind of not operating BMCC, I must be dreaming.

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:

Thats a fair enough question.
When we shoot with r3ds its usually scarlets, (personally never shot with an epic) -in these cases one cam is an A camera and one is on B.

If one ever died (which has never happened), id call the rental house that we rent from to see if they could supply a replacement- we have an fs-700, and Id gladly put that on B until a replacement arrived. (should I have rented 3 cameras?)

About 2 years ago, Id refused to work with 7ds on any critical projects as they liked to overheat and shut down.

In any case "get over it" would be the last thing Id say.....

To answer your question, Id either cover my ass(ets) to keep my clients or LOSE MONEY.. which are you suggesting BMD do?

John Brawley

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 am

Sorry to the OP, but it seems you have a bad camera. I'm genuinely sorry and it's awful that it's happened to you. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting it replaced by BMD.

As to the other discussions about camera reliability...

I've had RED EPIC's and RED One's, Arri Alexas and Canon C300's fail on me in paid production environments. One of those camera companies made me also sign an NDA before they would replace all four of the bodies I had on set that were giving me issues. Yes. All four camera bodies.

The only time I've lost shots with BMCC products have been because of SSD's. I had an OCZ 240 that crashed and burned and I lost shots. I doubt it was the camera that caused it and I've since heard of many problems with OCZ drives.

There's not much point talking about issues with cameras that are using non release software because they will have issues that are different to what the rest of the community will see.

I use BMD cameras every single shooting day and have done for the last two years mostly alongside EPIC's and Alexa's. That's hundreds of hours of shooting in RAW and ProRes. Some are prototypes, but mostly I use production built cameras on set.

The price isn't what matters to me. What does is reliability and my reputation to the producers. If there were problems with the cameras, then it reflects badly on me as a DP and I wouldn't be using them.

I trust them as much as I trust any camera.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Christian Horne

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 8:00 am

John,
Did you have a bad batch of OCZ drives or would you say they had an issue being used with BMCC? I ask because I have a single OCZ drive that I use and never had any issues although I don't use the Camera on a daily basis like you but do you think I should change it?

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

So far on the one BMCC feature we had 2 bodies all go well puling about 1TB of raw per day. No issues aside from the abysmal battery life and I think 2 dropped frames (Sandisk extreme 240s and 480s). Honestly, 2 just one day when we were shooting a super highly detailed scene right at the record. Shot totally usable.

Go to the next shoot where the 1 epic went down and had to go to red because apparently one of the internal boards shorted out from not using the "red approved' top plate-- which sounds like ********. The B epic needed to be rebooted many times when the touchscreen menus disappears and the camera kept slipping into varispeed mode.
Alexas I haven't had much issue with, nor sonys-- I think my EX1 in the years i had it had one issue where you'd boot it and the iris would stay closed-- so you had to reboot it.

I once had an Arri435 making weird noises and the 1AC gave it a good love tap-- it was fine then.

Point being, no matter how expensive or cheap a camera is, **** happens. As we go digital we start getting more **** happening we can't explain because it's a much more complicated interaction of parts, moving and not, than something like the sewing machine inspired intermittent movement of a cine camera-- something we can see.
We are quick to blame the company building the camera, but truthfully, it comes down a lot more to the fact that these are highly complicated things which eventually go very much awry for often no reason. If you're working for a client, no matter what camera system you have you have to have plans for if it goes to hell-- for whatever reason. And when your plan b fails, and you've no plan c, which hey happens (such as that red shoot when the A went down and had to go back to red, and the B started acting up) well sometimes then you loose money and time and face for a bit. This happens, all the time. It's silly, however, to throw a camera in the trash which can be fixed/replaced. And just looking online for accolades of how well it works is a loosing proposition (sample bias they'd call it statistically) because those whose cameras are working don't normally post that they're working-- they post to get insight when things go wrong. To use a quote from the best film ever made, anything which can and does happen.-- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Flat4

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:... This happens, all the time. It's silly, however, to throw a camera in the trash which can be fixed/replaced. And just looking online for accolades of how well it works is a loosing proposition (sample bias they'd call it statistically) because those whose cameras are working don't normally post that they're working-- they post to get insight when things go wrong. To use a quote from the best film ever made, anything which can and does happen.-- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park.

Ok but I still don't think anyone should be using it for professional applications. I'm not just talking firmware here. It's just not built to handle the stress of on set production. My portable vacuum cleaner has the exact same 12V power port.. Bonus I guess is I can vacuum my house with my IDX plate and V-mount battery. Why did they stick a consumer electronic port with very poor soldering in a professional camera? the thing went wonky 2 days after plugging in the AC adapter.. and let me tell you, I'm very delicate with my electronics. They should of went with a lemo.

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Flat4 wrote:
Ok but I still don't think anyone should be using it for professional applications. I'm not just talking firmware here. It's just not built to handle the stress of on set production.

How can you say that?
I AM using it for professional applications for the last 1 1/2 years without any trouble to write home about.

I shot a ton of productions during that time.
Some on your home turf (Kamloops/Revelstoke/Glacier National Park) under extreme winter weather conditions. Not a single problem or dropped frame.

Maybe you had a bad sample, but all of my BMCs seem to be pretty rugged.

Sami Sanpakkila

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I think every camera company has this happen on their cameras at some point. I've come to expect it, almost all of the professional cameras I've owned have been serviced at some point. The important thing to me is how they handle it. Reassuring you that we will take care of it and then doing so and keeping the customer informed about the process is all I care about.

When I buy a camera I put at least as much if not more value on the customer service.

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Flat4 wrote:...Why did they stick a consumer electronic port with very poor soldering in a professional camera? the thing went wonky 2 days after plugging in the AC adapter.. and let me tell you, I'm very delicate with my electronics. They should of went with a lemo.

We are all sympathetic to the frustrating experiences you've had with the BMCC camera culminating in the on-set failure. It does sound like your camera had problems right from the beginning and perhaps it was a lemon that should have been returned to your dealer when you first noticed difficulties.

As others have said, rather than the trash can or dissection or donation, please return it to BMD for a new camera. Even if you don't want the replacement camera, there are others close by who'll buy the replacement camera from you gladly. Or you may find the new camera seems to perform much better than your original camera and you can keep it a your B camera to the Epic. Good luck.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Robert Betzner

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 pm

I think there are two different dimensions to that problem that are mixed up here:

The camera produces fantastic footage. No doubt it is absolutely the number one for that price. Just some years ago it was unthinkable to get 13stops and raw for this price. They changed the business! Nobody denies that.

They have no repair support. If your camera ever dies after the warrenty, the only thing you can do with it is to use it as a doorstopper. Every other company would repair the camera for a fair price. That is in my eyes so far away from any professional thinking as nothing else. Again: THERE IS NO REPAIR SUPPORT FOR ANY BMD PRODUCT AFTER THE WARRENTY!!!

And yes - the 12V plug is simply garbage. I can live with the TRS connectors for audio but this power connector is a real pain. Lemo or Hirose would be the way to go.
BTW. Our camera died in the middle of a client-shot after 7 days of shooting. Allthough your cameras "never had a single problem" be aware that it can happen right in the next shot you make. Gladly we could switch to our Panasonic HPX3000 P2 camera in FilmLog Mode. This is a real "set and forget" format. We are shooting on P2 for 7 years now on daily basis without a SINGLE lost frame. That are really workhorse cameras. I totally trust them. But I will never ever trust the BMCC again. Always bring a B-camera!

Cheers

pro.

Jarateng

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:We had to send our BMCC MFT back too.

Cheers

pro.

I have the same problem but mine solarises on the bottom half. Really annoying from BMD

Steve Fishwick

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm

Jarateng wrote:I have the same problem but mine solarises on the bottom half. Really annoying from BMD

Of course you realise this thread is nearly nine years old? If it is the same camera you refer to, it's not really down to BMD any more, is it?

Return to Cinematography