Anyone use a cfast to M2 SSD converter

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wemrick1

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm

I'm seeing these pop up here and there. For little more than the cost of a 256 cfast card they will provide a T. They claim write speeds of 500+. I just hate buying things I have to return.

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Anyone use a cfast to M2 SSD converter

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:04 pm

If using the camera for paid work, in my opinion none of that stuff is worth the risk of dropped frames or lost/corrupted files.
I'd stick to Cfast cards from the approved list on the BMD support page.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

wemrick1

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:If using the camera for paid work, in my opinion none of that stuff is worth the risk of dropped frames or lost/corrupted files.
I'd stick to Cfast cards from the approved list on the BMD support page.

Valid opinion for sure but I would still like to know if anyone has tried one and what the results might have been.

drknsss

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:27 pm

If you search Tom Antos and MrCheesyCam on Youtube who both use these adapters and others do if you search a bit more.

Tom uses the SSD adapter on Ursa Mini Pro all the time on client work he does all over the world. I do think he gets the product for free thou.., The issue seems to be how big the SSD caddy is and where do you put it for run and gun scenarios.

wemrick1

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:42 pm

drknsss wrote:If you search Tom Antos and MrCheesyCam on Youtube who both use these adapters and others do if you search a bit more.

Tom uses the SSD adapter on Ursa Mini Pro all the time on client work he does all over the world. I do think he gets the product for free thou.., The issue seems to be how big the SSD caddy is and where do you put it for run and gun scenarios.

I've seen those videos and the one looks pretty good except for as you stated real estate on the camera. The ones I found used the M2 internal format. Much smaller footprint. My only concern would be heat. Many of them can be purchased with a heatsink that would not fit inside the housing of the adapters. Beyond that just curiosity to see how widely they are used.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:12 am

drknsss wrote:If you search Tom Antos and MrCheesyCam on Youtube who both use these adapters and others do if you search a bit more.

I use it from years, the same chooses from Tom, for ursa mini pro g1, pocket 4K, pocket 6k without problems.
Be clear, I invest in cables and boxes be cause I just had many faster ssd from production camera 4K and I would use it.
The safe solution cost more than a dedicated ssd from certified list of Blackmagic Design or cfast from certified list of Blackmagic Design

Don’t do diy if you not test extensively, test long time shooting in every condition.
I choose ssd be cause the bottleneck of my cameras is cfast or usb 3.1 protocols, I tested in all condition and with my ssd (San extreme pro ssd) work fine at every speed and fps (I can shoot dual 60p uncompressed dng without problems.

Most m2 converter box I saw had chipset rubbish, not heat dissipation, I stay on ssd.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

wemrick1

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 12:18 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:

I use it from years, the same chooses from Tom, for ursa mini pro g1, pocket 4K, pocket 6k without problems.
Be clear, I invest in cables and boxes be cause I just had many faster ssd from production camera 4K and I would use it.
The safe solution cost more than a dedicated ssd from certified list of Blackmagic Design or cfast from certified list of Blackmagic Design

Don’t do diy if you not test extensively, test long time shooting in every condition.
I choose ssd be cause the bottleneck of my cameras is cfast or usb 3.1 protocols, I tested in all condition and with my ssd (San extreme pro ssd) work fine at every speed and fps (I can shoot dual 60p uncompressed dng without problems.

Most m2 converter box I saw had chipset rubbish, not heat dissipation, I stay on ssd.

Appreciate that! Nothing like experience.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

drknsss

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 3:46 pm

I was looking at the Cfast Adapters for a while but I ended up getting an Orico M.2 to USB C enclosure with a WD Black750 nmve 500GB drive. I got the slightly slower version of the ssd so 6K 24p is good to go but 6K 50p is not avial. I could have got the faster M.2 drive..., I got a week to upgrade but I don't need 60fps but i might get a faster drive later. This is at Q0 and 3:1 BRAW settings.
Last edited by drknsss on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wemrick1

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 4:46 pm

drknsss wrote:I was looking at the Cfast Adapters for a while but I ended up getting an Orico M.2 to USB C enclosure with a WD Black750 nmve 500GB drive. I got the slightly slower version of the ssd so 6K 24p is good to go but 6K 60p is not avial. I could have got the faster M.2 drive..., I got a week to upgrade but I don't need 60fps but i might get a faster drive later.

I'm intrigued because they are small and inexpensive. I'm covered for now with a 256 card but a T would be nice to have. Nothing I'm doing right away. It's cold here and I'm not much interested in going out and shooting.

drknsss

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm

I think overall NMVE Drives to USB C is faster and has more uses overall like a new motherboards that have 2 slots. I got 500MB of space for $170 CAD for drive and enclosure. a Cfast card is around $400+..., Very Lightweight too so it doesn't affect gimbal operation. Transfer is tested at 400 MB/s for both read and write on Crystalmark HD test doftware. Different drive sizes have different rated speeds so be aware.

I'm going to get a faster version of the same drive to see if it can do 6K 50fps/100 shutter next week.

wemrick1

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 7:45 pm

drknsss wrote:I think overall NMVE Drives to USB C is faster and has more uses overall like a new motherboards that have 2 slots. I got 500MB of space for $170 CAD for drive and enclosure. a Cfast card is around $400+..., Very Lightweight too so it doesn't affect gimbal operation. Transfer is tested at 400 MB/s for both read and write on Crystalmark HD test doftware. Different drive sizes have different rated speeds so be aware.

I'm going to get a faster version of the same drive to see if it can do 6K 50fps/100 shutter next week.

I do wish the mini 4k had a usb output. I miss that from the BMPCC 4k. Having said that, I'm still falling in love with the mini.

Return to Cinematography