Any news on new Ursa models?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jon O'Neill

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am

Same old question sorry , but I'm an Ursa 4.6k original owner and thinking about upgrading , but as the G2 has been out nearly 3 years, I'm happy to hold off for a refreshed product line. 12k is a little niche for me as my clients would struggle with BRAW only option.

Any idea about Blackmagics release schedule for new camera?

Thanks!

Robert Niessner

Re: Any news on new Ursa models?

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm

It's easier getting Apple products leaks than rumors about future BMD products.
Expect something "Grant" anytime in the near or far future ;)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Brawley

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:54 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:Same old question sorry , but I'm an Ursa 4.6k original owner and thinking about upgrading , but as the G2 has been out nearly 3 years, I'm happy to hold off for a refreshed product line. 12k is a little niche for me as my clients would struggle with BRAW only option.

Any idea about Blackmagics release schedule for new camera?

Thanks!

The Ursa broadcast just dropped so….?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:24 pm

That new URSA ticks a lot of boxes. Just add a PL mount and it could replace my URSA Mini 4.6K if that camera failed. Or even with just the included B4 mount for my Fujinon …
Last edited by rick.lang on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm

I've got the inside scoop: URSA Major Returns! URSA Major with a new 65mm Sensor! Shoots 24K Resolution!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

robert Hart

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 8:51 am

timbutt2.

That was just cruelbad. For a moment there, you raised an artificial spirit in this old carcass. (sorry about the "Oliver" plag).

I have a spare dead "Big" URSA EF body I was going to rehome a busted Ursa Mini 4.6K into but it was easier to blend two differently damaged Mini bodies in the end.

I have harped on about this previously. If BM was to design a 4.6K or even a 12K retrofit for the "big" URSA body keeping the big screen, there may be folk interested in it.

Alas, if wishes were horses ---- .

Ryan Earl

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:That new URSA ticks a lot of boxes. Just add a PL mount and it could replace my URSA Mini 4.6K if that camera failed. Or even with just the included Fujinon mount…

Yeah, it's tempting. I'd like to rent it soon in EF mount (which I think it ships with?) to make sure it matches the 6K Pro. Two different body styles with the same sensor is ideal in a 3/4 camera kit for client work.

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:23 pm

Ryan, the new URSA Broadcast ships with the B4 mount installed but the box includes an EF mount. Adding a PL mount is an optional extra cost.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm

This is from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154130

timbutt2 wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:My thinking is that BMD is more focus on making broadcast camera and related equipments and doing away with film/Cine cameras. Not sure why and it may be just the cost and much higher ROI for them.

I disagree. Blackmagic has a great position in the film/cinema camera world right now. The 12K makes great images. A lot of people get hung up on the resolution, but the sensor design is honestly really brilliant.

I'd love to see an updated URSA Mini Pro 12K that has CFExpress as the recording media and some other body improvements. Possibly up the sensor size to VistaVision, which would be 16K based of the 12K sensor design. Otherwise I think that the possibility of an URSA Micro 12K is also probable. If they introduced a URSA Micro 12K with CFExpress capable of up to 60 FPS that would be amazing. And then with the URSA Mini Pro 12K Version 2 with CFExpress getting 120 FPS it would make for the perfect pairing.

They have something up their sleeves. They invested a lot of money, research and development, and effort into building their 12K sensor. I don't believe for a second that they aren't going to expand upon it with some incredible hardware.

I think that the possibility of an updated URSA Mini Pro 12K with CFExpress is very probable, and that the likelihood of an URSA Micro is also high. Let's wait to see what they do this year.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography