Ursa mini 4k with the viewfinder is a hoot!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wemrick1

Ursa mini 4k with the viewfinder is a hoot!

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 8:55 pm

:lol:

Got the two together and up and running. Duplicate functions between the camera and the viewfinder are worlds apart. False colors from the viewfinder do not match those from the camera and I'm not sure which peaking to trust. They don't even use the same color format. Blown out areas on the viewfinder are yellow while from the camera they are red. From the camera I get very few and often hard to find peaking lines. From the viewfinder the scene lights up like a Christmas tree. I have decided to use the function buttons on the viewfinder for zoom, display, and peaking. I'm using the two programable buttons on the outside of the monitor for false colors and peaking. I just leave Zebra stripes on at 100%. Got some real nice looking footage outside today and got to test the camera audio preamps. Pretty nice for sure with a Rode shotgun. I might try to update the camera and viewfinder to the last update for the ursa 4k i.e. 4.4 but I have to find one of those old use connectors first. Not sure if I have any anymore.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ursa mini 4k with the viewfinder is a hoot!

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:32 pm

The Viewfinder itself can also be software updated so it is worth using the latest camera utility to plug into each and update them with it if the utility asks you to.

The USB port on the URSA Viewfinder is at the front under a rubber flap. It is USB Mini and you will need to have it powered from the camera or a power supply when you plug in and check it.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:44 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:The Viewfinder itself can also be software updated so it is worth using the latest camera utility to plug into each and update them with it if the utility asks you to.

The USB port on the URSA Viewfinder is at the front under a rubber flap. It is USB Mini and you will need to have it powered from the camera or a power supply when you plug in and check it.

I know you can't comment on upcoming products, but I would like to point out that I would love an updated Viewfinder this year that has a USB-C Port. I'm sure something is in the works, but I thought I'd make mention about this since it was brought up. Really still love the URSA Viewfinder!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

wemrick1

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 11:27 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:The Viewfinder itself can also be software updated so it is worth using the latest camera utility to plug into each and update them with it if the utility asks you to.

Wow! I'm honored. Wonderful to see a manufacturer post "in person" so to speak. I do have a question however. Should I update both the ursa mini and the viewfinder to 4.4 (last update for the Ursa Mini 4k) or should I update both using the latest update release? I've got a usb mini type b coming tomorrow and can do the correct update at that time. The Ursa mini is new to me (used) and I have no idea what firmware it is on.

John Brawley

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 am

wemrick1 wrote:

Wow! I'm honored. Wonderful to see a manufacturer post "in person" so to speak. I do have a question however. Should I update both the ursa mini and the viewfinder to 4.4 (last update for the Ursa Mini 4k) or should I update both using the latest update release? I've got a usb mini type b coming tomorrow and can do the correct update at that time. The Ursa mini is new to me (used) and I have no idea what firmware it is on.

Safest would be both be on the same update, matching whatever you have chosen to instal in your camera.

Tim may say otherwise and he would know better, but that's my instinct.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

wemrick1

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 2:37 am

John Brawley wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:

Safest would be both be on the same update, matching whatever you have chosen to instal in your camera.

Tim may say otherwise and he would know better, but that's my instinct.

JB

That makes good sense to me. I'll update both to 4.4 unless Tim gets back to me and advises otherwise. Thanks!

wemrick1

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:06 pm

For the record just in case anyone else looks this info up.

Updated both camera and EVF to version 4.9 and things are working much better. Same color scheme for false colors and both agree on ISO. Changed sensitivity of peaking on camera to high and the two peaking features agree much more closely as well.

Return to Cinematography