P4k dashboard jumps to LUTS

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tomlasuena

P4k dashboard jumps to LUTS

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm

A problem developed recently with my BMPCC4k. I go to the Dashboard to make changes and it jumps to LUTS tab. Ex: I want to make a change in MONITOR so I go the that tab. The auto-jump to LUTS may happen in a few seconds (messing up my changes) or it will allow me to complete my changes but jump to LUTS after a minute or so. I don't even need to make changes. I can just go to any of the tabs, not touch anything, and the jump to LUTS may happen in a few seconds or may take a minute. I've updated to the current camera setup with not improvement. Happens if I'm on battery or using the charger. Thoughts?

rick.lang

Re: P4k dashboard jumps to LUTS

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm

Did you try resetting to the factory defaults?
Rick Lang

tomlasuena

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:Did you try resetting to the factory defaults?

Updating the camera setup seems to reset everything to factory. However, I just did the reset from SETUP tab and still have the situation.

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:35 am

Thanks. Anything special in the LUTs pages or just the standard BMD-supplied LUTs? After your reset to factory defaults, I don’t think any LUT would be selected.
Rick Lang

tomlasuena

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:33 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks. Anything special in the LUTs pages or just the standard BMD-supplied LUTs? After your reset to factory defaults, I don’t think any LUT would be selected.

Only the 4 supplied ones. I did another Factory Reset and see that, by default, the top LUT on the first page (Gen 5 Film to Extended Video) is preselected. Go to another tab in the Dashboard, wait a moment, and it's back to the LUTS tab with that top LUT selected. If I change the LUT selection, and/or go to the 2nd LUTS page, that change is remembered after I go to another tab and let it jump back to LUTS so it is retaining my LUTS selection. I tried taking the battery out overnight but the issue remains. If anything, it seems to have gotten worse over these couple of days as it's now difficult to make any settings changes in the dashboard as the jump to LUTS frequently happens instantly and seldom takes more than a few seconds.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:35 pm

My guess would be there is a problem with the touch screen in the upper right corner.
Maybe try to clean the LCD with a mild cleaner. If that doesn’t help better contact BMD support.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:39 pm

Or the panel has somehow become deformed and is making contact in that area of the LUTs tab. If the behaviour persists after cleaning the surface: Try pressing harder on various areas near the tabs and see if that causes the screen to restore a flat surface. Agree it doesn’t seem software related now.
Rick Lang

tomlasuena

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:My guess would be there is a problem with the touch screen in the upper right corner.
Maybe try to clean the LCD with a mild cleaner. If that doesn’t help better contact BMD support.

Thanks. That was so obvious that I didn't think of it :) I used a bit of lens cleaner and microfiber cloth and thought that it fixed the issue. When I tested it, the jump didn't occur initially so I just let the camera sit. It took about a minute but eventually jumped. With some additional testing, the frequency of the jumps reoccurred. I cleaned it a second time with no improvement. I noticed something else as well... When I'm not in the Dashboard but am in the shooting screen, the battery icon in the upper, right corner toggles as if I were touching it. The auto-toggle may happen every few seconds or may take half a minute. It's in the same area as the LUTS tab of the Dashboard. I will see what support has to say.

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:57 pm

So cleaning the area may have temporarily alleviated a screen deformity. If repeated pressing around the area doesn’t flatten the screen then it’s going to need a replacement.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography