Ursa 12K - USB Cable Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

devinpickering

Ursa 12K - USB Cable Issue

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Hi There,
Brand new Ursa 12K, using approved SSD media with SSD Recorder for the 12k. The unit couldn't record past 2 seconds though until freezing forcing me to shut off the camera in order to get back control. Tried several SSDs ( I have 4), still didn't work. The cFast media was working though, so internal media seemed ok, but it's not what I use, we use SSDs. So I contacted blackmagic support. They suggested trying another 3rd party cable, so I tried the one that I use with my p4k/p5k and T5 and then the recorder started working properly. So I asked for them to please send me a replacement cable thinking that would solve the issue and I was given a faulty USB-C cable, but the 2nd cable came in today and still doesn't work. It records about 2 seconds and then freezes the camera completely resulting in me needing to power off the camera again. Can someone please advise here? SSD's really are the only affordable option to record with this system for us.

And on one last note, by default, I need to say that this design of the USB-C cable, really could use another look from a practical perspective for daily use as an A cam. The space between the SSD unit and the Camera is so small and yet, the cable is incredibly long and needs to be looped around itself in order to fit into the USB inputs, thereby putting quite a bit of stress on the cable and the lock ports themselves. I can feel the amount of tension in needing to twist the cable and sort of force it into the inputs, and I just don't understand why there wasn't a shorter cable designed to not have to create a loop with the cable. It's really the central point of where the data is being handled and if a cable gets unplugged or caught on something or stops working in the middle of an interview or a take it can really cause some problems!

I'm basically in a tough spot because it seems we would need to make a substantial investment into cFast cards which are quite expensive, instead of opting with our current 4 512gb SSDs which we currently own. If this usb cable issue continues we might be forced to give up on the SSD recorder altogether. Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks.

Travis Hodgkinson

Re: Ursa 12K - USB Cable Issue

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pm

BMD have a quality control issue with their supplied USBc cables for the 12K.
I was last told that they were looking at a new provider for those cables.
Long story short, they supplied a tried and tested cable that works.
Cut your losses and go Cfast. I think going external recorder was a mistake. This issues has plagued this camera.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 4:53 am

For what it’s worth, I’ve had the SSD Recorder since release, and the USB-C cable that it came with has worked flawlessly. So, it appears to be a bad batch of them somewhere. It is odd though that support wouldn’t have tested the replacement cable before sending it out.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

devinpickering

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 2:54 pm

very helpful thanks guys

John Brawley

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 4:13 pm

I understand why USB appeals to some, but honestly 90% of the tech support problems are around USB cables, the USB port or media issues around this port. It’s just not a port that’s been designed to be sued on set. It’s designed to be plugged into your computer in a nice climate controlled office and left alone. Most USB usage stays connected near permanently.

As Travis has said, you’ll be happier with CFAST. Yeah it’s more expensive. But you’re going to avoid most of these kinds of issue as well.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

devinpickering

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:32 pm

On the one hand I LOVE that I gained another SDI output back, which I missed considerably, on the other hand, I really miss the SDI cable that used to be dedicated to the SSD, only because SDI is so industrial, it's never failed me.

devinpickering

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:33 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:For what it’s worth, I’ve had the SSD Recorder since release, and the USB-C cable that it came with has worked flawlessly. So, it appears to be a bad batch of them somewhere. It is odd though that support wouldn’t have tested the replacement cable before sending it out.

I agree!

devinpickering

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 3:28 pm

update: They're sending me a 3rd cable to try and see if it works.

devinpickering

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 8:24 pm

New update: I tested the 3rd cable that blackmagic sent me. Still doesn't work. I tried the cable on my p4k with a T5 and it seems to work fine. Which is very very strange behavior. Works with 3rd party cables. Doesn't work with BM cables. I'm waiting to hear back from BM about what to do. I'm expecting they're going to want me to send the camera in for evaluation, though I really need my A cam back and working ASAP. This has been quite the pain, personally. Very frustrating. It should work right out of the box.

Return to Cinematography