HDMI Output Off Frame

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nxy

HDMI Output Off Frame

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi,

I just got Pocket Camera and updated my firmware to 1.5. I have a TV Logic vfm-056wp, and try to use it for framing etc. However, I realized that the frame exported from Camera is slightly off. The bottom part of the frame is missing. It is close but not accurate. I tried many other configuration but it seems that I can't figure this out. Anyone having the same issue? If so, any one knows the solution?
I emailed BlackMagic tech support, but they said that they cannot support the third party monitor. Well, VFM-056WP is very standard monitor for the industry, and if it has an issue, that is a big problem fro BM. Anyway, they are not helping me, so here I am. Let me know if anyone notices same issue with other third party monitors as well.

popcornflix

Re: HDMI Output Off Frame

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 9:40 am

Don't give up so easy.

Hook your monitor up to another HDMI source (even a blu-ray player will do) and verify that it's framing correctly. Then contact Black magic again, and tell them:

(1) The monitor used to work fine on the BMDPCC;
(2) The monitor currently works fine on other sources;
(3) After updating, the Pocket Camera is giving a bad signal, and you want it fixed.

You may have to repeat this a few times, before they figure out that you're not giving up, and it is, in fact, their problem.

(p.s. -- if the monitor doesn't work right when connected to your blu-ray player, the problem is the monitor, not the pocket camera.)

Matt Choules

Re: HDMI Output Off Frame

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 7:18 pm

I have that monitor. Make sure you reset the monitor so you aren't accidentally overscanning.
Also, make sure you turn the HDMI to SDI routing off for this test.

Return to Cinematography