Red Camera LCD touch screen?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Does anybody know if the Red Camera 5.0" LCD screen can also be used as a standard monitor for the Blackmagic cams?

For viewing/monitoring purposes only of course, minus the touch screen functions.

adamroberts

Re: Red Camera LCD touch screen?

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:28 pm

No.

The RED LCD, like their BOMB EVF, requires a proprietary signal from the camera. It gets this signal via RED's proprietary link cable that supplied power, video signal and communication to the LCD.

That cable can't be connected to the BM cameras (or any other camera for that matter) so you'll have no way of powering the LCD or getting a signal to it.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 pm

ah dammit, thanks Adam. Would've been great if did work!

Looks like I might be in the market for a monitor for the Pocket cam.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Adam, if you're still here, would you happen to know if a power pack like the one below will work for the Blackmagic Pocket or the Red Scarlet:

http://www.protog.com.au/buy/jinbei-en- ... er/JBEN350

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Umm... That is simply a battery with an inverter that converts the DC battery power to AC power. Much like the AC power converters you can get for a car.

Not sure why you would want that tho... Would probably be better off with a few v-mount batteries.

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Sprocket Scientist wrote:Looks like I might be in the market for a monitor for the Pocket cam.

smallHD DP4 would be nice on the BMPCC. No audio meters but it it's small and doubles up as an EVF.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks again Adam, you've been a great help. :)

It's been a huge learning curve, trying to pick up what I need to put a working system together from the forum, things that go beyond the basic body+lens+tripod purchase to make the Pocket work.

If there was a 'Pocket Cam For Dummies' book that describes everything I need to know to set up a working system, I'd buy it today.

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 pm

I've been thinking of doing a little blog post covering the basics... But it's finding the time...

Scott Stacy

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 4:41 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Sprocket Scientist wrote:Looks like I might be in the market for a monitor for the Pocket cam.

smallHD DP4 would be nice on the BMPCC. No audio meters but it it's small and doubles up as an EVF.

Can't go wrong with SmallHD, Sprocket. I've go two of them. Customer service is excellent and their products are really best I've used.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 pm

adamroberts wrote:I've been thinking of doing a little blog post covering the basics... But it's finding the time...

That would be awesome, really. I've seen people rip into you in this forum and yet you keep coming back to help out. Your help has been much appreciated.

But anyway yes, it's been a huge learning curve. Take the IR filters for example - I didn't realise IR filters were required until I stumbled into a thread here. I did subsequently notice the red colour cast in some of my test footage, if I hadn't stumbled on the IR thread I wouldn't have known what was causing it.

Then, just when I thought that all IR filters worked the same way, I find out that there are actually different types of IR filters. And then yesterday after looking further into it, I find out that not all IR filters work the same way on different cameras.

It wasn't until I found this clip when it all started to make sense and fall into place:

I have no idea what I'll discover tomorrow that I will need to buy next! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sprocket Scientist on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Scott Stacy wrote:Can't go wrong with SmallHD, Sprocket. I've go two of them. Customer service is excellent and their products are really best I've used.

Hi Scott, I've just looked it up, it does look good. I didn't realise it could double up as an EVF.

I was seriously considering this earlier this week:

http://www.protog.com.au/buy/varavon-mu ... VMTFUNISET

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Scott is right. The customer service is amazing. I had an issue with my DP6 when it arrived. They sent a replacement out the same day.

That and the focus assist is the best I've used.

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Sprocket Scientist wrote:I've seen people rip into you in this forum and yet you keep coming back to help out. Your help has been much appreciated.

I'm thick skinned. Haters gonna hate... :-)

Glad to help out when I can.

Scott Stacy

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:03 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:
Scott Stacy wrote:Can't go wrong with SmallHD, Sprocket. I've go two of them. Customer service is excellent and their products are really best I've used.

Hi Scott, I've just looked it up, it does look good. I didn't realise it could double up as an EVF.

I was seriously considering this earlier this week:

http://www.protog.com.au/buy/varavon-mu ... VMTFUNISET

I don't often tell people to not get something - to each his/her own. However, don't buy that!!

I have a Zacuto loop and I never use it for video, but I do use it for stills on my 5D/III when shooting concerts or fashion stuff. IMO, you cannot obtain adequate critical focus for cinematography with a loop like that on the BMPCC screen and pulling focus will not be on the mark. Best to go for either the SmallHD DP4 or buy a used DP6 if you can find one. I have a DP6 (new firmware released last week) and a AC7 OLED. For the BMPCC, I would probably get the DP4 with the EVF because of the small form factor and attach it to a ViewFactor rig (http://www.viewfactor.net/products/blackmagic.html).

And, you are right, Adam is one of 10 helpful sane people on this forum ;)
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Sprocket Scientist

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 am

adamroberts wrote:the focus assist is the best I've used.
Scott Stacy wrote:IMO, you cannot obtain adequate critical focus for cinematography with a loop like that on the BMPCC screen and pulling focus will not be on the mark.

You both had me at '...focus...'. I'll have to see about getting the DP4 now.

How do you guys mount the DP4 when it only comes with a hot shoe mount?

adamroberts

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:46 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:How do you guys mount the DP4 when it only comes with a hot shoe mount?

Simplest (and cheapest) is to add a cold shoe to the BMPCC or it's cage. Cost around $10-15. Viewfactor and Wooden Camera have them and you can probably find cheaper options.

Next would be a mini magic arm. Screws into the top of the cam. Gives you lots of flexibility in position. They tend to come loose in use tho...

My preferred option is the Wooden Camera EVF mount. Expensive but it works well, it's solid and well made.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks Adam, I'll look em up. I like the look of Wooden Camera but they're costly. Perhaps not as costly as Redrock Micro or Zacuto, but anyway I'll have a look.

By the way with the loupe I mentioned above, wouldn't the Pocket cam's focus peaking work through the loupe?

adamroberts

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Sprocket Scientist wrote:By the way with the loupe I mentioned above, wouldn't the Pocket cam's focus peaking work through the loupe?

A loupe just magnifies the screen. So what ever is on the screen will be magnified including focus peaking. The screen on the BMPCC is not that good tho.

Sprocket Scientist

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I noticed the screen was kind of crap-ish, in broad daylight it's almost impossible to see anything. I was hoping the magnification plus the VF functionality of the loupe would work. Ah well, the DP4 is looking very good. Gotta try and fit it into the budget.

AdrianSierkowski

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

If you really really want to cheap out and get something there are all those chinese no name panels on e bay. It's all the same panel with different branding ect and will get the job done I suppose. Not the prettiest of things but very cheap and something to "hold one over" till they move on.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

adamroberts

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Sprocket Scientist wrote:I noticed the screen was kind of crap-ish, in broad daylight it's almost impossible to see anything. I was hoping the magnification plus the VF functionality of the loupe would work. Ah well, the DP4 is looking very good. Gotta try and fit it into the budget.

A loupe will work. It will help with shading the LCD in bright sunshine. It will help stabilise the camera buy giving you an additional contact point. It'll magnify the LCD so you should be able to focus better. But the LCD is not that high in resolution so might not be the best option.

I intend ordering the LCDVF loupe for when I run the camera in a stealth mode. But I'll be using my Alphatron EVF when I want critical focus and all the extras it adds.

roedaal

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Adam, is the alphatron the one that is said to use the iphone display? How are your findings? I currently own the dp4, but coming from optical vf (arri, moviecam), I am still searching for a really good evf that i could use on different cameras, and where I could judge focus.
Unfortunately, all these arri and sony etc vfs are proprietary.
Which native resolution is the alphatron?
Regards, roe

adamroberts

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 8:18 pm

I love the Alphatron. Screen is bright and sharp. It uses the "retina" 960x640 display.

The EVF does both HDMI and HDSDI. It has a wave form monitor so you can see how your exposure is spread out. It have VU meters for your audio. It does various other things like framing guides and 1to1 view. Peaking is good (but not as good a smallHD's Focus Assist Plus).

Overall it's great. Only issue I have is the battery cover is badly designed and does not stay in place.

Patrick Finnegan

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 am

Sprocket Scientist wrote:Thanks again Adam, you've been a great help. :)

It's been a huge learning curve, trying to pick up what I need to put a working system together from the forum, things that go beyond the basic body+lens+tripod purchase to make the Pocket work.

If there was a 'Pocket Cam For Dummies' book that describes everything I need to know to set up a working system, I'd buy it today.

There is a really great, usefull and informative blog here:

http://wolfcrow.com/

and he has a free guide (for subscribers ....which is free to join) to both the Cinema as well as the Pocket Camera which covers everything from rigging, to lensing to accessorizing. He has numerous detailed articles on post, audio...pretty much anything you can think of. very knowledgeable guy1
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Sprocket Scientist

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 am

Just saw this, thanks Patrick I have seen that website but never clicked on it. I will now!

roedaal

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks, Adam!

Return to Cinematography