BMCC Monitor brightness?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TIPOMAC

BMCC Monitor brightness?

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so this is my first post here.

I am trying to find a good external monitor for my new BMCC MFT and I have a few questions about it.

First of all, does anybody know what is the actual monitor brightness of the BMCC internal monitor in cd/m2 or nit?
I have been searching this forum for this without any luck to find an answer and the BMCC specifications doesn’t list this data.

What would suffice as for brightness of a field monitor so I can adequately see what the camera sees, for focusing purposes in a bright Sunny day outside?

Would a 400cd/m2 or 450cd/m2 with a contrast ratio of 500:1 and with a good Peaking Filter be enough?

Do I need a better resolution than 800 x 480? Is a resolution of 1024x 600 would be that much better on a 7 inch monitor?

The reason I ask these questions is that I do not have the practical real life experience so I would be able to relate much better to these specifications to decide on what to purchase. Also I do not want to spend too much money on a field monitor if not necessary thus I am aiming at some 7 inch HDMI monitors + an SDI to HDMI converter so I could keep its price reasonable low. But I would definitely need something that is enough for outside viewing.

Thank you for your help!

Jules Bushell

Re: BMCC Monitor brightness?

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Get a decent sun hood too, that will make a lot of difference.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

TIPOMAC

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 pm

So, does that mean a 400−450 cd/m2 field monitor is alright for outside viewing with a good sun hood?

brianberneker

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 8:26 pm

I've also been researching this and from what I've read, you want more than 500 nits brightness for a monitor if you are using it outdoors (nits are equal to cd/m so you don't have to convert or calculate). The built in BMPC monitor is unfortunately weak in this regard.

Of the monitors I've seen, most cheap ones are 250-400 nits, which I suspect would be inadequate, but there are also others available in up to 800 and 1100 nits. Of course the brighter the display, the higher the cost, but so far I've found an 800 nit 3G-SDI monitor for under $1000, which around my target price.

If you discover anything better I'd love to hear your findings.

brianberneker

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Here is a youtube video comparing a few of the brighter ones on a bright day.

Return to Cinematography