No BMD announcement of any kind., strange

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ricardo marty

No BMD announcement of any kind., strange

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Usually, by this date BMD had announced cameras or DVR version.. Wonder why not?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Tyler Edwards

Re: No BMD announcement of any kind., strange

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 2:35 pm

NAB possibly? Historically, that's where many of their products have been announced.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

ricardo marty

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 2:47 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:NAB possibly? Historically, that's where many of their products have been announced.

BMD usually announces its cameras ahead of NAB, like in January so for DVR.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 4:13 pm

The traditional announcements have been beginning of March for the UMP cameras. Resolve is traditionally in April at NAB.

UMP Announcements & Releases
UM4K: April 13th 2015 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0150413-05
UM4.6K: Announced April 13, 2015 & Released March 17, 2016 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0150413-05 & https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0160317-01
UMP G1: March 2nd 2017 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0170302-01
UMP G2: March 5th 2019 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0190305-01
UMP 12K: July 16th 2020 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0200716-01

Pocket Announcements & Releases
Pocket 4K: April 9th 2018 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0180409-02
Pocket 6K: August 6th 2019 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0190808-01
Pocket 6K Pro: February 17th 2021 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0210217-02

DaVinci Resolve Announcements & Releases
Resolve 12: April 13th 2015 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0150413-01
Resolve 12.5: April 18th, 2016 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0160418-05
Resolve 14: April 24th 2017 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0170424-01
Resolve 15: April 9th 2018 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0180409-01
Resolve 16: April 8th 2019 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0190408-05
Resolve 17: November 9th 2020 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0201109-01

Obviously Resolve 17 is the outlier due to the Pandemic. But Resolve traditional NAB in April.

The URSA Mini 4K and URSA Mini 4.6K were both also NAB announcements in 2015 as can be seen. March 2016 was when the UM4.6K actually got wide release. Due to the long period between announcement and release BMD changed their announcement strategy in following years to announcing and releasing.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rNeil H

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 4:24 pm

As we are attending NAB this year and tge trade floor ain't gonna as big as usual, we'll be spending more time in the Blackmagic booth.

So whatever they do announce & show we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John Brawley

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 4:31 pm

In the last few years BMD switched form announcing at events like NAB and then later shipping (often at a date that had slipped from the announcement) to announcing only when it was actually ready to ship.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Will Vazquez

PostFri Mar 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Both B&H and Adorama have had the Ursa Mini G2 and 12K on backorder for quite a while. My local shop where I've bought all my Blackmagic cameras, says they have no ETA as to when they will receive those cameras, and they have several UMPG2 and 12k on order. I don't know if this means that a new camera release is eminent, or that perhaps the supply chain is so backed up that BMD can't even fulfill current orders. I hope there is a new Pro camera with a new body shape design, and improved buttons layout.

Daniel Rheaume

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 8:22 am

Two or three days ago I got an email from Redshark with a subject saying something about
a BM camera update announcement. When I opened it up, it was just the old announcement for the broadcast g2 and pocket 6k. It was obviously mistakenly sent out, but it got me wondering if redshark was prepping for an upcoming media blast when this was older announcement was accidentally sent.

Pure speculation on my part, but it was enough of a nudge to get me checking the BM site everyday to see if there is anything to my theory. Haha!
-Daniel

Travis Hodgkinson

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 8:54 am

A new micro would be the sharks knees!

I hope the 12K stays it's flagship camera for a couple more years.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 25, 2022 9:49 pm

Daniel Rheaume wrote:Two or three days ago I got an email from Redshark with a subject saying something about
a BM camera update announcement. When I opened it up, it was just the old announcement for the broadcast g2 and pocket 6k. It was obviously mistakenly sent out, but it got me wondering if redshark was prepping for an upcoming media blast when this was older announcement was accidentally sent.

Pure speculation on my part, but it was enough of a nudge to get me checking the BM site everyday to see if there is anything to my theory. Haha!
-Daniel

I think there's a good chance that BMD will release something besides a Resolve 18 alpha or beta at NAB this year. Being the first time having a physical conference since the start of the pandemic might have BMD looking to use it as a celebratory occasion, so it's quite possible that BMD has some new goodies ready to go that it's holding off on unveiling until NAB.

The Red Shark editors will probably have an inside scoop before NAB; most of the press will have had a chance to meet with BMD's press folks to find out what's coming so that they can have their articles ready to go when the press conference begins. Until then they'll be under embargo, and no legitimate press venue will violate that embargo; any that do will never get a scoop again (from any company).
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

timbutt2

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Now this thread is more famous thanks to Frame Voyager:

John Brawley

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
The Red Shark editors will probably have an inside scoop before NAB; most of the press will have had a chance to meet with BMD's press folks to find out what's coming so that they can have their articles ready to go when the press conference begins. Until then they'll be under embargo, and no legitimate press venue will violate that embargo; any that do will never get a scoop again (from any company).

Having been a part of many camera releases previously, this isn't really the case. Even BMD internal staff in different areas often don't know what's coming till just before an announcement. They don't do early press briefings / embargoes either. They just announce (and now ship) and watch the chaos.....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 pm

I think it’s almost time for Lady Whistledown to step outside Bridgerton and bring a sense of authenticity and veracity to these speculations; as far as I’m concerned, she’s the only one who seems to have the inside track on revelations coming within the next few weeks! Tim—well-intentioned but admittedly struggling with focus. John—so wise, but did he predict would be in the World Cup 2022? No. So I’m waiting for Lady Whistledown’s April pamphlet.

Where’s that ‘tongue in cheek’ emoji?
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:I think it’s almost time for Lady Whistledown to step outside Bridgerton and bring a sense of authenticity and veracity to these speculations; as far as I’m concerned, she’s the only one who seems to have the inside track on revelations coming within the next few weeks! Tim—well-intentioned but admittedly struggling with focus. John—so wise, but did he predict would be in the World Cup 2022? No. So I’m waiting for Lady Whistledown’s April pamphlet.

Where’s that ‘tongue in cheek’ emoji?

Ah, yes. The April Pamphlet from one Lady Wistledown should be most enlightening. I, for one, cannot wait to peruse the regaling passages.

Adam Langdon

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 1:45 pm

Man, i'm just itching to get a 12k, now that i've sold my G2, but I TRYING to hold out on a possible new camera announcement.
I've got the funds ready to go! haha
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Travis Hodgkinson

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 3:24 pm

You will not be disappointed with the 12K. The colour fidelity is out of this world. Honestly if you have the funds, with it also being reduced it’s a no brainer. There will always be new cameras. I reckon with all the firmware that’s been added to the 12K, they’ve really made it a worthwhile investment. I can’t see them dropping support for it anytime soon.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 pm

I know that BMD already offers a ‘mirrorless’ format 4K camera and they already offer a Super 35 6K camera, but I’m thinking there may be a market for an 8K RGBWWW ‘mirrorless’ format that would be ideal for 4K deliverables; a new market may exist for 16K RGBWWW ‘full frame’ so seeing the existing BMD 12K proliferate would be an interesting logical progression. Given that they also support use of the excellent low light Dual Range ISO sensors, BMD would have cameras to suit both scenarios for an operator.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Man, i'm just itching to get a 12k, now that i've sold my G2, but I TRYING to hold out on a possible new camera announcement.
I've got the funds ready to go! haha
I’d say wait for NAB to see what is announced and then make a decision. I’m holding on to my UMPG2 until then, but will list it after ordering the new camera that may or may not be announced. I have the credit card room either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 7:08 pm

John Brawley wrote:Having been a part of many camera releases previously, this isn't really the case. Even BMD internal staff in different areas often don't know what's coming till just before an announcement. They don't do early press briefings / embargoes either. They just announce (and now ship) and watch the chaos.....
JB

I can only speak from experience, and maybe it's just a few select journals, but I do know that the editors at Red Shark had their news article ready to go before the press conference, at least when they were going on in person. The Black Magic press conference normally took place right before the show floor opened to the general public, and AFAIK the editors met with the BMD press team AT NAB, so we're not talking about weeks of advance notice, just a day or two. Enough in other words to release the update when the press conference was starting, rather than writing up the summary after the press conference.

The press conferences were fun though. Grant is a pretty laid back guy and even though it's pretty obvious that he's excited about what he's telling us about, he wasn't much into grandstanding, so it was more like listening to the neighbor excitedly telling you about the new toys he'd gotten for Christmas rather than a marketing spiel.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Steve Fishwick

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 pm

I sincerely hope they don't change the Ursa Mini form factor too much - the UMP will go down as a classic I feel. I've waited in the wings for a long time to get back into production. Old shoulder mount proper camera dinosaur here - I waited in the wings - saw the horrible DSLRs pass by, the 'prosumer' Sony's and the strange Canons. The first Ursa Broadcast too, with it's limiting low light small chip, until the UBG2. Not perfect, but not been as excited about a camera since the JVC HD101 and that was a million miles from this, although it cost me the same in 2005!

The only thing wrong with the Ursa is the vulnerable looking vents on top - I don't even mind the strange placement of the XLRs, it kinda works with a 416 and a wireless receiver for ENG. But there is no-one remotely out there at this price point who makes a proper from factor, a proper shoulder mount kit and a proper good VF, other than BMD - I think they looked long and hard at the Arri Amira, ha ha.

By all means I understand you all are hoping for some miraculous new sensor or form factor but I think those days are thinner now. The cameras, all of them take great images now - the measurabators have to look long and hard in their uTube vids now, to see the differences. 15 years ago we got excited if cameras in this price point had a fraction of the quality of the big boys. I guess I'm saying don't long for NAB, make great films with the fab tools at hand now and only buy a camera because you need it today and not tomorrow.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:The only thing wrong with the Ursa is the vulnerable looking vents on top

For what it's worth, directly underneath the vents it's mostly just a heat sink on top of a fan. At least on the first Mini.

From the thread Warning Ursa Mini 4.6k Owners, take the handle off the side.Image

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 am

roger.magnusson wrote:For what it's worth, directly underneath the vents it's mostly just a heat sink on top of a fan. At least on the first Mini.

Yes Roger, I can see the G2 is the same, nonetheless the heat sink appears to be laterally mounted and any rain dust, sand, etc. could possible short (via creep) or clog the vanes. A careful blow out from time to time maybe useful. There are rain covers too.

I did a lot of research before buying the UBG2 and was aware of that potential weakness, detailed in that thread and so I have fitted a plate, which also allows mounting of a radio mike receiver.
Attachments
IMG_20220330_091708.jpg
IMG_20220330_091708.jpg (467.92 KiB) Viewed 15696 times

misterk

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm

I have my UMP12K on backorder from CVP as well for the last 4 weeks. I'd love updated G3 body with prores. I love BRAW and the 12K is great but CFexpress and ProRes would be amazing. If G3 had more weather sealing as well, id be happy!

I will keep it on order, I doubt it will ship within next 4-6 weeks, in which case there might be a new announcement and il swap the order. Eyes peeled :shock:
CPU Water: R7 1700 @ 3.9Ghz 1.33Vcore / GPU Water: 1080ti @ 2Ghz Core, 6.3GHz Mem / RAM: 32GB Trident Z @ 3600MHz / DRIVES: 2TB 980 PRO OS, 1TB 860 EVO Scratch, 1TB 860 EVO Active Footage

John Brawley

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 1:17 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:The only thing wrong with the Ursa is the vulnerable looking vents on top

Mostly what's inside an Ursa is heat sink. If you look at the back of an OG Alexa it's very similar. A giant vented heat sink open to the sky.

I can say from many years of shooting with this form factor, in all conditions, it's very solid. But if it rains then yes, water will get in.

I killed an UMP G1 shooting in Bogota in a crazy downpour that started in the middle of a long take. The camera worked till cut, and then it stopped working. The shot was fine. A day later we turned it back on again and it worked fine!

The things that break on a Ursa Mini form factor ?

......it's the plastic volume / audio knobs.

and the rubber eyecups on the EVF....(they come off easily)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Adam Langdon

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 1:42 pm

John Brawley wrote:The things that break on a Ursa Mini form factor ?

JB

so true. My G1 and G2 have never had any issues for me, other than the audio knobs, haha.

I personally LOVE the form factor of the Ursa Mini body. If there was ANY way to make a slightly larger screen on the flip-out, or improve the nits or overall quality.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Ryan Earl

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:

JB

so true. My G1 and G2 have never had any issues for me, other than the audio knobs, haha.

I personally LOVE the form factor of the Ursa Mini body. If there was ANY way to make a slightly larger screen on the flip-out, or improve the nits or overall quality.
If it flipped all the way around so that you can leave the screen side out and set into the body, I would probably leave it that way 99% of the time. I hate constantly flipping the screen out and pushing it back in.

I like the socket that they are using on the 6K Pro for the EVF. If they incorporated that socket tech into the Ursa Mini the screen could detach and be put on either side of the body or use it to connect a larger screen that worked the menu too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MelFeliciano

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 3:52 pm

I remember the days when all the mayor product announcements were made through trade magazines. They needed to do everything in advance. They even used to print an NABShow Special Edition magazine with all the new products from the main manufacturers by category. Today that's not longer necessary. I know that for the past 2 years, Grant has chosen to make the main product announcements a few weeks before the convention, but I think this year they are going back to the classic "teaser" billboard and then the press event, once the exhibit floor opens.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:22 pm

and the rubber eyecups on the EVF....(they come off easily)

JB

I've nearly lost my eyecup for the EVF several times. It does come off very easily. BMD should include spares with it.

Haven't had the plastic audio knob break yet. (Fingers crossed; knock on wood) But, I agree that that also is a weak part of the design.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 pm

So, this thread is getting press now: https://ymcinema.com/2022/03/31/nab-202 ... gcGyhp7_wY

Jack Fairley

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:28 pm

Don't forget about us when you make it big, Tim. :D
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:36 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Don't forget about us when you make it big, Tim. :D

Haha. Well, my time on these forums has been memorable. And, I have an idea for a web series based on the interactions here and the Facebook Groups. Think "Cheers" but with camera people.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm

timbutt2 wrote:... Think "Cheers" but with camera people.

And there will be models!
Rick Lang

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 5:06 pm

I have heard rumors from 2 different sources that there is a new Atem coming up to replace the 1me/2me switchers.. Which would make totally sense since the 2ME is not shipping for months now and 1ME and 2ME are both about 7 years old.. Yes 7 years!!! #2015.... Which makes total sense that with the current chip shortage in the market would mean old designs are going EOL now.

But i dont have any info out of first hand.. So who knows..

About the cameras.. Since the UB2 is just shipping in quantities it's very unlikely there will be any mayor Ursa model update.. And since UB2 is shipping with a 6K sensor + B4 and EF mount.. This camera would basically replace the whole Ursa mini / mini G2 lineup..

So i think there will be 2 cams left in the ursa department. 12K and the Broadcast G2.

Micro still dont think so.. Because if they had "anything" in that range they would not have done a Press release with an EOL statement and pointing users to the Studio 4K or Pocket 4K cam.. Basically the first EOL press release i have seen BMD doing.. Which they should do a lot more i think..

But pointing to 2 different cameras feels like they do not have anything that would come close to the Micro camera almost ready..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 5:12 pm

A few days ago I had dreamed that I was watching the 2022 presentation of new products by Grant Petty.
Quick note to myself: Spend less time reading this forum ;-)

Anyway - thanks to my dream I can tell you what to expect from BMD this year.

1) Spoiler: Click to reveal
2) Spoiler: Click to reveal
3) Spoiler: Click to reveal
4) Spoiler: Click to reveal
5) Spoiler: Click to reveal

Unfortunately my little daughter woke me up before I could see any product presented by Grant...
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Steve Golding

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 2:34 am

Well, while we are talking dream cameras, here's mine.

I'll call it the Poc8, it is a very similar size to the OG Pocket, uses M43 lenses and will take the 6K Pro EVF as an option. It uses the 12K sensor (windowed obviously) to provide 4K 16:9, 6K 16:9, 8K 2:35. 8K will be 24 fps only? 6K up to 60fps, and 4K 100fps. Yes it will eat batteries and thermal issues will abound, but with BRAW storage should be manageable. Reasonable on board sound, and excellent line in audio amps of course.

We can all dream.

Steve.

Adam Langdon

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 1:31 pm

I'm starting a new job here soon, where I'll need to travel light with two cameras.

I love shooting with the Pocket 6k Pro, but I'll need a B-Cam for interviews. A Pocket 4K makes a lot of sense, with the low buy-in and portability with quality matching... but man, if BMD drops something in between a 12k and a P6kPro... i'd be all over that!

I'd still love to get an Ursa 12k, but i'd really need to justify the expenditure.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Would love to see a pocket 8K with an extra stop or so of DR.
Maybe a little global shutter and in PL mount. Ooof that would be a great B-Cam to the 12K. Here’s to wishing.

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 2:28 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:I'm starting a new job here soon, where I'll need to travel light with two cameras.

I love shooting with the Pocket 6k Pro, but I'll need a B-Cam for interviews. A Pocket 4K makes a lot of sense, with the low buy-in and portability with quality matching... but man, if BMD drops something in between a 12k and a P6kPro... i'd be all over that!

I'd still love to get an Ursa 12k, but i'd really need to justify the expenditure.

I hear you. 95% of the time I select both the P6K and P6KPro for a two camera job is because they match a bit better and because they are smaller and easier to transport and carry. I love the UMPG2, but the convenience from the Pockets is nice. Also, lower cost means the kit fee is less to the client and that works for their budget better when it comes to two cameras more often.

I'd love for Blackmagic to introduce something that improves upon that however. First, the things I hate about the Pockets... form factor. I'm just not a big fan of that DSLR style of body. Especially when it comes to battery swaps. I prefer the way I swap batteries on the URSA Mini line. Second thing I hate about the Pockets... rolling shutter and slow-motion options. This is primarily for the 6K sensors, but I hate that it's 50 FPS max for slow-motion full sensor. And, with it being APS-C that means cropping further is a bit more annoying. And, this also results in the rolling shutter being more noticeable. And, when doing handheld I get more wobbly jello effect.

Either way, for interviews the Pockets are great. Especially the 6K Pro with the dual XLR inputs. Although, it is a tad annoying that they are the mini type and you need to use the adapters. I use them and it's not a major issue. I must prefer less adapter cables.

So ultimately, an URSA Micro would be ideal. However, I think that would be a B-Cam to the URSA Mini Pro then. Either way, it would be amazingly perfect.

Adam Langdon

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 3:14 pm

timbutt2 wrote:So ultimately, an URSA Micro would be ideal. However, I think that would be a B-Cam to the URSA Mini Pro then. Either way, it would be amazingly perfect.

Oh, man, an Ursa Micro!
- Electronic NDs, like the P6kPro
- V-mount battery option
- etc, etc

I also think how amazing it would be to see a new Video Assist that can control the new BMD camera.
- 1500-1800nits
- 5" and 7" models
- SDI/HMDI inputs
- SD Card to record to ProRes (while recording BRAW internally)

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 3:17 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:I also think how amazing it would be to see a new Video Assist that can control the new BMD camera.
- 1500-1800nits
- 5" and 7" models
- SDI/HMDI inputs
- SD Card to record to ProRes (while recording BRAW internally)

YES! I've been asking that for so long. Granted, I don't care about the SD Card to record ProRes or BRAW in a Video Assist. But, I definitely want the Wireless Video Assist that can control the camera settings.

javier forza

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 10:33 pm

Before a new camera, BM need to finish the broken firmwares around Pockets, because the community, social media, is not going to recommend a camera in this situation.

Will Vazquez

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 2:28 am

Well folks, the Ursa Mini 12k went from being on backorder on B&H's website, and still able to "add to cart", to "notify when available". I think that this means that Blackmagic will introduce a new camera that will replace both the 12K and the UMPG2. As Grady used to say on "Sanford and Son", Goop Goobly Goop!

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 am

Will Vazquez wrote:Well folks, the Ursa Mini 12k went from being on backorder on B&H's website, and still able to "add to cart", to "notify when available". I think that this means that Blackmagic will introduce a new camera that will replace both the 12K and the UMPG2. As Grady used to say on "Sanford and Son", Goop Goobly Goop!

Interesting! My prediction for the next camera announcement is the 10-Year Anniversary of the Original Blackmagic Cinema Camera: April 16th. Since April 16th, 2012 was the announcement I'd say that's when they'll announce the next major Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

WahWay

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 6:56 am

Cant believe it was 10yrs ago JB did "Pool Shark" :o

Steve Golding

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 7:01 am

The 16th is Easter Saturday, so I can't see it being then.

Steve

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Still a good date for a public tease of what will be revealed at NAB 2022.
Rick Lang

Chris Cronin

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 11:07 pm

Keeping my eyes peeled, but not totally sure what to expect.

I'm in a weird spot right now, where I love my PCC6K Pro, but also feel like it's already out of date in some respects. I dunno if I'd jump on a new flagship camera as they're usually way, way, way beyond my price range, but I could be compelled for the right features and size. Not sure I'd do it for new hardware in a refresh of the Ursa Mini body though, as ergonomic and ground-breaking as it was at the time, I think we're looking at a distinctly cube-shaped future. High-end BM sensor in a smaller package though... the appeal is undeniable.

I have a completely unrealistic laundry list of wants, but I'm slightly reluctant to post it having seen some of the debates raging on in the Full Frame thread (coincidentally... it's on the list). Many of the features you can ask of BM can be done by the user with extra effort or an additional piece of gear, but it feels like just chanting "it's a cinema camera" is not as solid a retort as it used to be when competitors are throwing these conveniences into cameras ostensibly in their cinema lines.

Like, I get it. BM isn't Canon or Sony or Panasonic, but then I look to the almost OTT levels of features and flexibility from the likes of Kinefinity and it feels more like BM have been left behind on two fronts. So I guess I'm hoping for a reset of the approach to cameras going forward, alongside new hardware.

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 12:21 am

A safe bet is $6K since that is the price that BMD settled on for the UMP. First the Gen 1 UMP, then the Gen 2 UMP, and after the initial introductory price for the 12K it bumped down to $6K. So, at worst you're looking at $10K for the introductory price point. At best you're looking at $6K.

I've made sure to have room on my credit cards, but I've also just invested in the new Nanlite Forza 720B. Waiting for it to ship. Certainly would love for the next BMD camera to leave room for a second Forza 720B as I'm sure I'll need a second one. Could always use more light.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 2:06 am

If I’m a betting person, I’d put my money on broadcast products. That were Blackmagic is finding their niche.

If there is a cinema line, hoping it would be a box form factor like other manufacturers have been doing but competitively at a lower price point.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 2:41 am

Ellory Yu wrote:If I’m a betting person, I’d put my money on broadcast products. That were Blackmagic is finding their niche.

They just released the Broadcast G2 in November, so I doubt there will be a new Broadcast camera at this time.

A lot seems to pointing towards the Cinema Camera line getting the update. Backorders on the UMPG2 and UMP12K indicate supply low. I have a feeling the 12K sensor is going to be in a new body soon. Only 10 days until the 10-Year Anniversary of the Original Cinema Camera Announcement...

NAB starts April 23rd. Let's keep a look out.

Next

Return to Cinematography