Backpack for cinema camera?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Backpack for cinema camera?

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 1:35 am

Anyone have a recommendation for a good backpack to hike a cinema camera into hard to get to places? Like the ursa 12k w/ a lens or two…
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

timbutt2

Re: Backpack for cinema camera?

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 3:12 am

I swear by the CineBag! It's amazing. I'm on my latest, which is the CB25 Revolution: https://www.cinebags.com/cb25-revolution-backpack-mb

Not only have I managed to fly with it holding my UMPG2 Kit (Shoulder Mount Kit, Viewfinder, and Side-Handle), two DZOFilm Pictor Zooms (20-55mm T2.8 & 50-125mm T2.8), four CoreSWX HyperCore Neo Batteries, CFast 2.0 Softcase with cards inside, and a few other various essentials. I think I got the Follow Focus in the bag, but I know the Matte Box was transported in my checked luggage along with the battery charger. But you can easily get the Matte Box into the CineBag as well. It just won't fit in the overheard compartment then.

I really should do a little video explaining how I pack my CineBag sometime. I'm sure it would help a lot of people.

I did finally discard my last CineBag, which I beat up. But that lasted nearly a decade. They are wonderful bags. I love them. I also have the AC Pouch, Monitor Pack, Gel Roll, and plan on adding more bags in time. Probably the Slate bag is next.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 12:21 pm

I have a Tenba which I bought many years ago for my 8x10 camera and now use it to hike in my URSA 12K fully assembled (lens, rails, battery, nucleus-Ms) and monitor, FIZ control, mix-pre 6, Rode Stereo-X, extra batteries, plus a few things. The tripod is carried separately usually by my partner. However, I do not find this model on their web-site. The really nice feature of this pack is that it has built-in padding and full straps like a back pack but also has side flaps with riveted holes for attaching an included aluminum pack frame with its own straps. Very comfortable. When hiking with the 8x10 I would hook the tripod by a strap over one of the side posts of the aluminum frame. And... pack alone without the frame qualifies for air-line carry on. Too bad this model seems discontinued, but the pack is still in great shape after decades of use.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
RTX 4080 Super GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.4529
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Tom Roper

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 4:42 pm

Planning has to be the key. Day trip or overnite? Weather? The issue for me with great backpacks is you're hiking in deep woods or something, the shot opportunity arises but your camera is stowed inside a backpack, which means, stopping, unfastening, opening, removing, assembling. Did the opportunity wait for all that getting ready? And then what? Disassemble, stow, zip it up, put it on your back, cinch the buckles and fasteners so you can continue your journey up the trail and then the next opportunity. Shucks, I've only progressed 200 feet since I put it away? Is this opportunity worth the effort of getting everything out of the bag again? Maybe it's an even better opportunity. And so I wrestle with these questions, ending up with only a few minutes of footage, much less than I had hoped for, and nothing special, the wildlife moved on, the the sun ducked behind the clouds, wind kicked up etc. And if your trip has the intention of being extended, if by yourself you also have to manage the provisions, food, water, warm clothes, shelter. That's hard to do with a camera backpack that's full of camera gear.

So I look for alternatives, day trips in good weather, camera slung over my shoulder with camera strap, fully assembled and ready to shoot at an instant's opportunity, a large plastic baggie in case I need to protect it in inclimate weather, doing the minimum difficulty to do the maximum camera potential, where readiness is the key.

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 7:06 pm

I will note that when I get to my final destination I build the camera and keep it built. Yes, I'm carrying it by hand afterwards, and mainly keeping the extra batteries, cards, and lens in the bag along with the other tools I need. I have thought about adding an additional bag that I could put the fully built camera into for safe transport while walking. But that is another bag to deal with.

My Pocket 6K is currently rented out this weekend. When I get it back I'll find some time to use my two Pockets to shoot a video going over using the CineBag with my UMP. I think some people would benefit from that.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm

The CineBag looks like a great suggestion. Unfortunately, they seem to have supply chain issues too. On their own site they are listed as out of stock and B&H has that model only in electric blue.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 10:57 pm

That's a pity that they are out of stock in so many places. Great bags! Really do love them.
07690BDC-9895-4D19-BC44-3CD367131838.jpg
UM4.6K-CineBag-2016
07690BDC-9895-4D19-BC44-3CD367131838.jpg (969.48 KiB) Viewed 2481 times

Above is an image from 2016 of the URSA Mini 4.6K in the CineBag I had at the time. That's with the Rokinon Cinema Lenses. Again, I'll do a photo/video later this week when I can.

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Here’s the current CB25 Revolution Bag with my DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and the UMPG2 and two batteries. Trust me when I say I can pack this bag really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jukka Tallinen

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 4:32 pm

F-Stop has served me well in about week long filming trips in rugged terrain high up in the Dolomites, Isle of Skye, Lapland etc.

I use the Tilopa model with two Small Pro ICU’s. It fits UM body, 2-3 lenses, viewfinder, small mattebox (BT Misfit Atom) 2-3 v-lock batteries and accessories. It feels similar to a trekking backbag when fully loaded, tight and secure ”close fit”, good when the path gets rough. Carry-on size at least in European flights, but often needs to be stowed under the seat.
www.jukkatallinen.com

dondidnod

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 7:25 pm

Adorama has this waterproof 25L bag at $70 USD off today only:

Pelican ProGear S130 Sport Elite Laptop/Camera Backpack
SKU: PLS130BK MFR: 0S1300-0003-110 $159.95 USD

https://www.adorama.com/pls130bk.html?u ... -11AM-DOTD

The Interior Dimensions are (LxWxH) 15.15 x 10.4 x 10" (38.48 x 26.41 x 25.4cm)

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for a good backpack to hike a cinema camera into hard to get to places? Like the ursa 12k w/ a lens or two…

Your best bet is to go to a backpacker's forum or a climber's forum. I backpack with my camera all the time, and it became quickly apparent that the best way to go was to get a good expedition pack and learn how to load the camera into it.

I ended up with a custom McHale alpinist's pack made of Dyneema... which is overkill for most, but I've been trekking with it for almost 15 years, and it's still in great shape. I had to get one zipper fixed, and one buckle replaced in that time.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Tyler Edwards

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 3:54 pm

F-Stop Tilopa is by far my favorite backpack. It has an aluminum frame built in for support and you can size the camera compartments (called ICU) to your needs. The materials are heavy duty and is made for the adventure photog/filmmaker in mind. I use it all the time for climbing trips for carrying my camera and climbing gear to the crag. I also have a smaller model called the Guru which is great for walking about town and stuff. The f-stop bags also just double as regular backpacks if you take out the ICU and just need a pack for whatever the need. I really like them. LOL this sounded like an ad but I don't work for them or have any affiliation.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Phil999

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 1:26 pm

good suggestions, thank you all. I'm again searching for one or two backpacks, since my former backpacks went lost in a fire. About wildlife cinematography, as mentioned already, it is best to unpack only once or twice in a day. Create a base camp with all the material. Water, food, shadow, equipment. Build the camera rig and do small excursions from the base camp. When the weather is unstable, bring one of those watertight trecking bags with you, so you can put the entire rig into the bag when it starts raining. Such bags are also quite good for carrying the rig, be it in the mountains or in the city.

I had this backpack:
https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/protactic ... 37176-pww/

Quite good, I didn't really miss anything on this one. I like the hardened top opening where you can directly access the camera with lens, without opening the backpack's main door. Another excellent feature are the bands across the backpack, where you can attach holders, strips, etc. according to you need, and to the particular purpose. And the belt can be detached, which is good when traveling light. Really good modular design.

Return to Cinematography