USB-C recording to external drive

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robzeke

USB-C recording to external drive

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm

Is it possible to use the zoom demand and record to an external drive simultaneously? You would think you could daisy chain the two (like you can for both zoom and focus demands) but I can't seem to get it to work. Recording to an external drive at the expense of losing access to the zoom and/or focus demands just seems useless to me. Am I missing something? Is this something that can be accomplished with future firmware updates?

Blackmagic Ursa G2 Broadcast

Mike Ambrose

Re: USB-C recording to external drive

PostTue May 17, 2022 6:01 pm

This question has been asked a lot since the announcement of the UBG2. The answer has mostly been "no" but there's hasn't been a direct technical explanation as to why.

I've used USB 2.0 hubs on my camera (for an ethernet adapter) but couldn't get a 3.0 hub to work. In theory if you could find a working 3.0 hub you could run the zoom/focus demands on a 2.0 port (using an adapter) and plug the drive into a USB-C 3.0 port on the hub. This way you wouldn't lose any bandwidth for the drive.

(3.0 hubs have both 2.0 and 3.0 pins separate which is why you tend to see most 3.0 hubs always including 2.0 ports. Otherwise the 2.0 pins are just wasted.)

Return to Cinematography