Installing LUT in Blackmagic Mini Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tomatoes1966

Installing LUT in Blackmagic Mini Cinema Camera

PostThu May 19, 2022 7:18 am

I have purchased a Blackmagic Mini Cinema Camera but I also want use this camera for live streams. But the video direct from the camera is flat (dull color). Is there a way to install a (custom) LUT with a better color properties ? I have seen video's how to do this with the pocket camera but I have not seen options in the menu of the Mini cinema camera. THX., Erik

Denny Smith

Re: Installing LUT in Blackmagic Mini Cinema Camera

PostMon May 23, 2022 3:13 am

Which model of the Mini Cine camera? The BMD Cine cameras output a Cine flat minimally processed signal, not a fully saturated broadcast type signal. A LUT could help increase the color saturation in the signal, but the early BMD Cine Minis did not directly take a LUT, do a search on using LUTs in BMD camera ps to see,previous discussions on this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tomatoes1966

PostMon May 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi Danny for your answer. I had an answer from BM and they confirmed that the BM Micro Cinema Camera (not Mini) does not allow to install LUT. So no live broadcast with this camera or accept a flat color profile ....

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue May 24, 2022 12:47 am

You can load LUT into monitor (if your monitor can support LUTs). And output processed image using monitor HDMI out (if your monitor have HDMI out option).
Note that some monitors to save processing power and battery life process LUTs not too accurate, so they may produse some unwanted banding.

Another trick: if you use OBS desktop app for live streaming, you can load LUT directly into OBS (see online video tutorials how to do it)
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

roger.magnusson

PostTue May 24, 2022 2:09 pm

If it's for live broadcast and you need a rec.709 image, can't you just set Monitoring > Dynamic Range to Video?

If that doesn't work, try setting Camera > Dynamic Range to Video. Although that will record using Video Dynamic range which might not be what you want if you want to grade the recording later.

Brad Hurley

PostTue May 24, 2022 2:24 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:If it's for live broadcast and you need a rec.709 image, can't you just set Monitoring > Dynamic Range to Video?

Yes, that works, I've done it, although it doesn't look particularly great. I think the suggestion above to apply a LUT via OBS is the best bet if your computer can handle the processing and streaming. Only a limited number of field monitors allow you to apply a LUT to the HDMI out; for example the Blackmagic Video Assist allows you to apply a LUT for viewing but it doesn't get applied to the HDMI out.

If your livestreaming involves Zoom, note that going from OBS to Zoom can be a little tricky, and since Zoom can use a lot of processing power some people advise using two computers (one to process in OBS and the other to stream to Zoom). You'd have to experiment with your computer to see if it can handle it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostWed May 25, 2022 6:46 am

You can add a LUT in OBS if you want.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography