Distance from the mount of a PL lens to the end of the lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Anniecl

Distance from the mount of a PL lens to the end of the lens

PostSat May 21, 2022 9:39 am

I've been trying to find information on what the typical distance is from the mount of a PL lens to the last point of contact at the back of the lens. I'm not sure what this metric is called, I have attached an image below to help illustrate what I'm looking for. From my observations, it appears this distance varies across lenses. If it varies from lens to lens, do lens manufacturers abide by at least a max depth for how far the back of the lens protrudes from the PL mount? If I can't get an exact measurement, is there at least a ballpark estimate for say Arri Master Primes?

Thanks,

Denny Smith

Re: Distance from the mount of a PL lens to the end of the l

PostMon May 23, 2022 3:08 am

There were two standards, the ARRI standard, (see Duclos Lens blog for details on Matt’s Duclos Lenses site), and the other was the max distance before the rear element (pupil) of the lens would hit the shutter in the PL Cine Film cameras, S16 and 35mm cameras had different distances. Most PL adapters are set to the ARRI standard, but the rear pupil of the lens (last lens element) can produce more into the camera mount, which can hit the sensor cover glass on some early 16mm and S16 lenses. So it can vary with lens to lens, determined by its focal length and manufacturers build of a given lens.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon May 23, 2022 4:55 pm

I know the SLR Magic APO primes followed the design of the Zeiss CP.2 (and subsequent CP.3) primes with a maximum depth of 13.5mm. I’ve noticed Metabones SpeedBoosters that follow the same design guideline in designing their optics.
Rick Lang

Anniecl

PostTue May 24, 2022 5:35 am

Thanks for the kind replies...

Return to Cinematography