Red is back on the litigation warpath

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Earl

Re: Red is back on the litigation warpath

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:04 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Those that are successful have done so by coming to terms or by going around it.

I think one day, one of the larger companies is going to decide to crush them instead of go around them!

The patent system and the purpose of getting a patent is so that larger companies don't squash smaller companies when the smaller has an innovative patent.

It's clearly a much sought after piece of IP if RED keeps using it on offense and defense. I'm not qualified to attest to its validity.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Except when troll companies buy patents in bulk (in totally different areas) and then use them just to make money:) Funny enough that high % of patents are probably own by such a trolls, not original inventors. This should be basically illegal. Patents should belong to original inventor and should not be "for sale". Whole system is crap and even if it was created to protect tiny companies, now it's a sword in hands of huge corpos.
Great example is Cineform. David had no knowledge/money/skills to protect Cineform with patent (at the time it was real invention compared to RED story), so I would argue how well (if at all) US patent system protects small companies :)

RED does what every patent owner would do- protects their IP, based on fact that they have granted patent.

John Brawley

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Those that are successful have done so by coming to terms or by going around it.

I think one day, one of the larger companies is going to decide to crush them instead of go around them!

Apple had a go and failed. They don’t get much bigger.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:28 pm

And single man have not lost either with RED. Size doesn't always matter :)
Knowing subject and facts may be more important in this case.

jamedia

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:And single man have not lost either with RED. Size doesn't always matter :)
Knowing subject and facts may be more important in this case.

So true.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Dan Sherman

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:43 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:It's clearly a much sought after piece of IP if RED keeps using it on offense and defense. I'm not qualified to attest to its validity.

The issue is it's far to easy to get a completely bogus patent, because the people issuing patents are regularly out of their depth on most subject areas. Thus it all comes down to how much money companies are willing to waste just to have it overturned.

Imo the reason why some of the big companies haven't already trashed Red, is they simply don't deem it worth the effort and cost!
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 6:52 pm

Also, because they found other ways and today all big companies have RAW recording in some shape. RED is loosing market and their patent is not going to stop it (maybe it helped, but won't stop it).
What can help RED is a new great camera which will win customers by its greatness not some shady practice.
Previous

Return to Cinematography