feature request: HFR audio gap

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Phil999

feature request: HFR audio gap

PostSat May 28, 2022 6:26 pm

the DaVinci Resolve forum has a feature request section, but this request is about the camera firmware, particularly the Pocket 4k firmware.

When you record in HFR, the audio is recorded in real-time of course, while the video is recorded in non-real-time. In Resolve, one can unlink the audio from the video, and change the speed of the audio clip.

For example, a clip recorded in 60fps, in a 24 fps timeline, is exactly 2,5 times slower. Now, when we change the speed of the audio by 40%, it aligns to the video in perfect sync.

So far so good.

But at the end of the clip, there is a gap. No audio. The longer the clip, the longer the gap.

The problem is: the camera does not record the entire time in audio when in HFR mode. The gap is, just a guess, around 3-5%. I'm quite confident that this is just a minor firmware bug. Allow the camera to record 5% more audio when in HFR mode, and the problem should be resolved.

Most of the time I can get around this problem by simply moving and cutting the audio clip under the video clip, but sometimes it really needs that bit of audio that was not recorded.

Of course one can record audio in a separate recorder and synchronise. I can do that. But it's much more work and setup time for just a minor detail I might not even need in most scenarios. I think this could be resolved in one line of code. That would be nice.

Jim Simon

Re: feature request: HFR audio gap

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Personally I think HFR should disable audio recording entirely.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

timbutt2

Re: feature request: HFR audio gap

PostMon May 30, 2022 8:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Personally I think HFR should disable audio recording entirely.
I don’t completely agree. I sometimes use it. But one thing you could do is change the audio input to the XLR ports and record no audio. Then you don’t have to worry about it. I’ve done this a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography