BMPCC4K 7.9 Update issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

roger.magnusson

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm

I'm seeing two issues so far. I only have Olympus MFT lenses so they might be part of the equation.
  1. Incorrect iris info. When wide open on the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12‑100mm f/4 IS PRO, the onscreen iris info shows f/4.1 instead of f/4.0. I also tested one of the f/1.2 lenses and it's shown as f/1.3. Whether it is really wide open or stopped down one tenth I haven't verified. Just for comparison, EF lenses on a Pocket 6K Pro shows the expected iris info with this firmware.

2. The Image Stabilization switch in the Blackmagic OS is locked in the On position and can't be changed. I tried using lenses with and without stabilization and tried power cycling between switching lens IS on/off on the lens. Factory reset doesn't help.

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 9:30 pm

Since all my lenses are manual, I’ve no idea why my 7.9 Settings also have Image Stabilization greyed but in the On position. I hope that’s not going to mean the camera won’t write Gyro data.

I removed my manual lens but the bmOS Setting is still greyed On. I think I was misinterpreting the term. Wishful thinking: On means the camera will send Image Stabilzation Gyro data.

Edit
According to the threads about the gyro, it does appear that the bmOS Setting for Image Stabilization needs to be Off for Resolve 18beta5 to detect gyro data from the camera. So how do we set it Off if it’s greyed and not responding to our touch?
Rick Lang

kontrakatze

Re: BMPCC4K 7.9 Update issues

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 12:16 pm

I had the same issue with my lenses until I forgot to turn the camera off before switching lenses. After that, it is still greyed out but in off position. Don't know why, but worked.

I forgot to mention:
Metabones Speedbooster x.64 and ef lenses only.
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HVF-6TcKDkavfcqu0lFMQ/videos

Thecreator82

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 4:26 am

rick.lang wrote:Since all my lenses are manual, I’ve no idea why my 7.9 Settings also have Image Stabilization greyed but in the On position. I hope that’s not going to mean the camera won’t write Gyro data.

I removed my manual lens but the bmOS Setting is still greyed On. I think I was misinterpreting the term. Wishful thinking: On means the camera will send Image Stabilzation Gyro data.

Edit
According to the threads about the gyro, it does appear that the bmOS Setting for Image Stabilization needs to be Off for Resolve 18beta5 to detect gyro data from the camera. So how do we set it Off if it’s greyed and not responding to our touch?

I also noticed the exact same thing. Also I only manual lenses and stabilization remains active but in gray (so it does not allow me to turn the function off or on). How come?

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 7:49 pm

I can’t upgrade to Resolve 18 untilI complete my current project on Resolve 17.4.6, but if you can go to Resolve 18, then you can test to see if gyro data is included on your BRAW clips.
Rick Lang

bobosola

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 9:31 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I'm seeing two issues so far. I only have Olympus MFT lenses so they might be part of the equation.
  1. Incorrect iris info. When wide open on the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12‑100mm f/4 IS PRO, the onscreen iris info shows f/4.1 instead of f/4.0 [...]
  2. The Image Stabilization switch in the Blackmagic OS is locked in the On position and can't be changed [...]
  1. I can confirm this issue on the same Olympus f/4.0 12-100 lens. It only adjusts down to f/4.1 on v7.9.
  2. The switch shows as On but is actually greyed out if you compare it to other switches in the menu. I think it only becomes active/effective for certain Panasonic MFT lenses which support in-camera switching to turn the OIS on or off. For most (all?) other lenses, the switch appears to do nothing. Certainly I am getting gyro data for all my (non Panasonic) lenses despite the appearance of the switch suggesting otherwise.

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 5:02 am

bobosola wrote:... Certainly I am getting gyro data for all my (non Panasonic) lenses despite the appearance of the switch suggesting otherwise. [/list]

Good to know; thank you.
Rick Lang

leaoxp

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 4:44 pm

In my case its not exactely an "issue"...

But I really don´t understand why BM now uses a "Drive list" in the media page to format the SSD... because we wont have a real "list" as we have only one USB drive attached to the camera... so we have a "list" of just one drive?? this make no sense for me...

I think we could have just a button to format in the 1st page, like we have for SD and CFAST...

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Or maybe someone from BM can explain exactely why we have a "drive List" maybe I´m missing something here.
(P4K and 6k PRO user here)

Thank you

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Perhaps the Drive List is a hint of something to come. Right now, it seems unnecessary, but what do we know, eh? I haven’t tested this as I only own one drive, the Wise Portable 4K SSD, but if I owned additional drives, maybe the camera is remembering each one? Maybe they are going to allow recording to more than one device associated with a hub of drives.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography