Newbie Question About Speedboosters

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BMCC Mark

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Hello everybody! I'm an amateur videographer, and recently jumped from a Canon GL-1 camcorder to a Blackmagic Cinema Camera - my first interchangeable lens system, and quite a jump! With this jump came the introduction to such attachments as speed boosters, and I was hoping somebody could clarify their use for me. I'm a little confused as to what the benefit is of using one, besides the additional f stop(s). I've read that it widens the field of view, although I don't understand why this is necessary! Can't the same effect just be accomplished by changing the camera placement? If I don't need the extra stops, is there really a reason to use one? Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance on the matter... this is all pretty new to me! :lol:

- Cinematography newbie, Mark

Grzegorz Styczen

Re: Newbie Question About Speedboosters

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:03 pm

When you widen your FOV, it's easier to get shallow depth of field.

So without speedbooster, your 50mm lens turns into ~130mm (too lazy to do the math), but DOF/bokeh stays the same.

With it you get about 85mm (bokeh always stays the same if you don't touch the aperture ring).

Additionaly, it's a really good nikon->mft adapter and has another clickless aperture ring, useful for digital lenses...

Cheers!

adamroberts

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 pm

The Speed Booster effectively makes the sensor bigger (by reducing the size of the image circle that the lens is producing).

So any lens on a BMCC connected via Speed Booster would perform in a similar way it would perform on an ASP-C or Super35mm camera.

BMCC Mark

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Helped a lot, thanks!

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 am

BMCC Mark wrote:I've read that it widens the field of view, although I don't understand why this is necessary! Can't the same effect just be accomplished by changing the camera placement?

No. Changing the focal length is not the same as changing the camera-scene distance, or in other words: zooming in is not the same as stepping closer.

Take a look at these two images:

Image #1:
bw_01.jpg
bw_01.jpg (320.5 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

Image #2:
bw_02.jpg
bw_02.jpg (300.88 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

Imagine the sign post to be an actor you want to frame in a certain way. Image #1 is what you might get from 5 m away with some lens. Now if you add the speedbooster, you can (or have to) get closer to frame the actor (sign post) the same way, but your image background changes dramatically.

Selecting the right focus length and camera position you can either add or subtract depth from a scene, either distancing fore- and background or compressing the scene. And while you do so, you get deeper or shallower depth of field, which you can use to detache the actor from the background.

Speedbooster not only captures more light (to me that's a nice side effect), but it virtually doubles your arsenal of lenses, and more important (at least for Pocket cam owners) it can help getting wider shots which you couldn't otherwise get with the lenses you have. Both features make this addon lens a must-have for interior shots.

BMCC Mark

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 am

Wow, that was EXTREMELY helpful! Thanks! :D

adamroberts

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:43 am

Nice one Mac. Good simple explanation.

:-)

Return to Cinematography