Any problems recording BMPCC4/6K to GPT-formatted drive ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

andersonm

Any problems recording BMPCC4/6K to GPT-formatted drive ?

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am

I bought a ZITAY CFAST to SSD adapter (dummy cfast card that plugs into SSD) and a 4TB Samsung 860 PRO SSD.

It seems that formatting IN-CAMERA always formats to MBR (Master Boot Record). A MBR partition can contain maximum 2TB, so the camera seems to create two partitions. This works perfectly fine to record to and play back from seamlessly. It shows up as 4TB in camera.

However, on my PC, the 4TB SSD isn't recognized. It shows up in DiskPart as having FOUR 2TB partitions, completely incorrect, none of which can be mounted or accessed. So there's something with how Blackmagic cameras format 4TB drives into two partitions to use seamlessly that leads to it not being recognized on a PC. May or may not be related to the CFAST-SSD interface.

If I instead format the SSD on my PC as GPT instead of MBR, I can format the full 4TB, and then use the SSD to record to with the camera. It mostly seems to record fine to, except once now when it stopped recording a few seconds after start.

Any experience with this? Does GPT work as well as MBR, or is there a workaround?

ectobuilder

Re: Any problems recording BMPCC4/6K to GPT-formatted drive

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 12:34 am

I get the same problem too.

I too bought a 4TB M.2 NVME SSD (Corsair P3) and installed it into a USB-C enclosure.

And I experienced everything you mentioned.

Note: I have a Pocket 6K Pro.

It appears that Blackmagic cameras can only format SSD's in MBR format, this is the issue as MBR wasn't designed for SSD's bigger than 2TB. We need GPT to use drives bigger than 2TB.

- MBR: Has a 2TB per partition limit and is limited to a maximum of 4 partitions.
- GPT: Has an 18 EB (ExaByte) partition limit and is limited to a maximum of 128 partitions.

In theory, an MBR formatted drive of 4TB should have a minimum of 2 x partitions of 2TB each, but the Pocket 6K Pro creates 4 x partitions of "2TB", at least this is how the Windows' disk manager sees it, which causes it to not be able to access the drive.

Only when you format the drive in Windows does it properly partition it.

So the only safe work around is to stick with 2TB or lower drives. Blackmagic appears to be using the older hardware as 4TB drives didn't exist when Blackmagic started making cameras.

Return to Cinematography