12V DC Input Malfunctioning

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

miwasbun

12V DC Input Malfunctioning

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Hi folks. I'm writing this post today as I've been having the issue of getting power to my pocket 4k via the 12V port on the side of the camera.

I've had the camera for about two years now, and it has never had any problems, at least until recently. On a recent multi-day film shoot the camera started to act up, with the SSD mounted onto it randomly disconnecting at certain points. Eventually it completely failed and I installed new firmware to attempt to fix the issue. It was able to reconnect, but the SSD since then has still retained the random disconnection issue, but it at least functions. I mention all of this because the 12V failing is either a terrible coincidence, or maybe there is a correlation between the two. Notably, the SSD seemed to have a bent internal connection.

Now, to the issue with the 12V. My Blackmagic pocket is powered via an input from the 12V that connects to a V-mount plate. As stated earlier, this has worked for nearly two years with NO issues until now. The issue began when the interface on the camera started to show the power randomly cutting from the V-mount battery and the internal battery within the camera itself. Eventually (this happened on the same day as the firmware upgrade to fix the SSD issue) the camera stopped taking any power from the V-mount 12V input, with the red light next to the power button ceasing entirely.

As of right now, it appears to be isolated to the plate/cable, with my wall mounted charger and a USB-C connection from my gimbal both being able to power the camera. While in any other circumstance, I would just purchase a new plate/cable to fix the issue, I'm hesitant mostly because of the timing with the SSD connection issue and the 12V power failure. Forgive me for such a long worded post, but I'd like to be able to present as many facts as possible.

I'm extremely curious to hear any recommendations about moving forward or potentially fixing the issue.

*For additional details, I should note that the SSD is a Samsung 2TB T5* while the plate/battery/12V cable comes from the IndiPRO company. Battery itself functions normally and can charge other items.
Last edited by miwasbun on Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Foster

Re: 12V DC Input Malfunctioning

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:09 pm

the T7 is not supported on a BMPCC
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 pm

What Mark said.

miwasbun

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 pm

Made a mistake with the SSD model. It is not a Samsung T7, but rather a 2TB T5.

Return to Cinematography